I got an email from BlogHer the other night that asked me to update my profile for a fact about me that might surprise people. I did just that, then scurried over to Twitter to share it with the world. Or, you know, a thousand or so people. What was that juicy little tidbit? The fact that I have my motorcycle license and used to ride a Kawaski Ninja.

(I sold it to pay for our wedding. Ten years and three kids later, I don’t regret that decision, but riding again in the future is a very real possibility.)

Shannon told me that she wasn’t surprised at all. Vahid was surprised and asked if there was anything else I needed to share about myself. I did a bunch of “Things about me” meme’s back in the day but they’re buried in my archives. (Don’t go looking. Please. I’m telling you this to save you from torture. And to save myself from (further) humiliation.)

I threw out that maybe I should do a post about things y’all may not know about me and Vahid replied with the following:

(Read from the bottom up.)

You seriously need to follow him on Twitter.

While the above “Angella facts” aren’t (entirely) true, here are a few that are:

I had Lasik eye surgery five summers ago. I can honestly say that it was worth every single penny (and it was many, many pennies). I went from not being able to see anything clearly (-5.25 prescription) to 20/20 vision. I also scored X-Ray vision. I’m kidding! Or maybe the bit about me being the Canadian Crusader is real. I’ll never tell.

I know how to juggle. Like, balls. Wait. That doesn’t sound right. I can juggle three items of similar size and shape, at the same time, continuously. I saw a photo that Jenny posted on Flickr of Karen learning how to juggle and now, the gauntlet has been thrown for a juggle-fest at BlogHer. Who’s in?

I talk with my hands. Apparently. I say “apparently” because I have been told (numerous times, by numerous people) that I do it. And yet, I’ve yet to notice when I’m doing it.

Related: I have poor observational skills.

I’ve never smoked pot, or done any other illegal drugs. I know. I don’t believe it either.

I’ve never been on a train, unless you count the Vancouver SkyTrain. Which I don’t. The kids will surely be enthralled about it when we spend a few days in Vancouver this summer, so there’s that. I would, at some point in my life, like to go on a long train ride and look out the window/read a book/be lulled to sleep by the rhythmic motion.

I learned to read when I was three years old. Not read as in, “See Jane run” but read as in, “let me read the Sunday paper to you (and your friends)”. I also skipped the third grade. I was so smart back then…

So, tell me. Is there anything you’d like to share that you think might surprise people?

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah April 1, 2010 1:08 am edit

Well, I’m feeling pretty good right now! Because, aside from the train thing (really?? You’ve never been on one??) I already knew all of those things about you. Yay! :-) Actually, I don’t know if I knew about the juggling. But it sooooo doesn’t surprise me!

2. Eric's Mommy April 1, 2010 4:02 am edit

I had LASIK too, 3 years ago. I do not have x-ray vision. LOL

3. Sizzle April 1, 2010 6:52 am edit

Balls.

hee hee.

I say apparently a lot too. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. :-)

Most people are surprised to learn that I am a certified self-defense instructor.
    .-= Sizzle´s last blog ..Crazy Makes Me Crazy =-.

4. Jen Wilson April 1, 2010 7:22 am edit

Those “facts” are hilarious. They remind me of Chuck Norris facts. But I like you a whole lot more than I like Chuck Norris.

Um, I was in Tae-Kwon-Do and got to a green belt? I know, lame, but the only thing I could think of.

I’ve done a lot of illegal drugs. Not many different kinds, just a LOT of one kind and did one other kind once. While I was pregnant. And didn’t know it. I told my doctor when I found out I WAS pregnant and she said RELAX! YOUR BABY WILL BE OKAY! STOP FREAKING OUT! JUST DON’T DO IT AGAIN!

Well DUH!

Okay, so maybe that can be my fact that might surprise people.

5. Domestic Extraordinaire April 1, 2010 7:56 am edit

It seems to me that I thought I heard that somewhere before (that you used to ride, not the stuff about you doing all that stuff to Eye of the Tiger, because the only thing you can do to Eye of the Tiger is run up lots and lots of steps and punch things that you probably shouldn’t be punching.) Maybe when someone else got a bike, or have I really been reading that long?

Something that you may not know about me…hmmm….I played baseball for 7 years and when we got to the majors I had to stop playing-they said I couldn’t play with the boys and had to play softball. Except softball wasn’t popular then and I didn’t adjust well to the HUGE ball and they stuck me in the outfield when I wasn’t an outfielder because they thought I didn’t know what I was doing and so I quit. I also bowled on a kids league back in the day and was pretty good-when we go bowling as a family after a bit my groove comes back and my family accuses me of sandbagging the first couple of games, even though I swear I don’t.
    .-= Domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..Weekly Winners-The Three Six Five Edition =-.

6. LauraRadniecki April 1, 2010 8:27 am edit

I love reading random tidbits about you! I think it should be a more frequent occurance.

-I am pretty great at the guitar on Rockband. [So profound, I know.] I can play almost every song on hard and about the first half on expert without failing.

-I spent the years from about 4th grade to 8th/9th grade dreaming of one day owning and running a Canadian fishing resort. Or camp, as you guys call them. The dream still hasn’t fully died!

-I LOVE to fish. I’ve been on 17+ summer Canadian fishing trips, including 1 fly in, 3 boat-ins to remote camps on islands, and 2 houseboat trips.

-And lastly, I’m really scared of bees. Like as in, I run screaming, in the opposite direction, flailing about. I can’t help myself…
    .-= LauraRadniecki´s last blog ..Nature Comes to Life Again =-.

7. Kami's Khlopchyk April 1, 2010 8:48 am edit

I have never done pot or any other illegal drug either but when I tell people that they are NOT surprised at all.

Go figure.
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..Trouble Comes in Small Packages =-.

8. hillary April 1, 2010 10:54 am edit

“To the stars, eh?” is the funniest thing I’ve read on the internet ALL DAY. Well played, Vahid.
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..And I Wanna Be Everywhere Twice This Machine Is So Mature It’s So Much Your Type =-.

9. Hilda April 1, 2010 12:01 pm edit

Ride a train! It’s fun! Even if I haven’t been on one since like 5th grade maybe?

I like to shoot things, preferably with a bow and arrow but guns often do the trick too.
    .-= Hilda´s last blog ..Feeling Rough =-.

10. Kerri Anne April 1, 2010 12:34 pm edit

But, wait, how many of these are REALLY true and how many of them are white lies you’re telling because it’s April Fool’s Day? UH-HUH, SURE ANGELLA, WE BELIEVE YOU. (Wink, wink.)

I don’t know how to juggle. Like, balls. Or chainsaws.

Oh, and in the 8th grade I won a city-wide writing contest sponsored by D.A.R.E. with an essay titled “Why I Will Say ‘No’ To Drugs and Alcohol.”

Possibly related: I’m on way too much cold medicine. I cannot be held responsible for anything said or done today. But both aforementioned facts are totally true; pinky-swear.
    .-= Kerri Anne´s last blog ..Good Things: Unhappy Hipsters =-.

11. Jennifer Kirk April 1, 2010 1:07 pm edit

You really need to ride a train! The train that runs from Vancouver to Whistler has specials for BC residents all the time… I’m blanking on what it’s called right now! Also, Amtrak was having a special during the Olympics, maybe it will happen again, Vancouver to Seattle.

The thing that surprises almost anyone who knows me is that my favourite music is hard & heavy industrial, and my favourite band is Tool… I’ll never miss a show.

Heh… tonight we see John Mayer… I am a woman of contrasts I tell ya’!
    .-= Jennifer Kirk´s last blog ..Stephanie & Justin, Fort Langley =-.

12. Amanda April 1, 2010 4:23 pm edit

I vaguely remember riding a train for some school trip, the trip was maybe 30 mins if that. I have never smoked pot or done any other drugs either and have no intention of ever trying them. Every school year I seem to have a word that I get stuck on…last year it was “in reality.” I was a struggling reader and not the best student…and now I teach. :S
    I agree, I don’t count the skytrain either, just like I don’t count the TTC here. But, you really NEED to do a train ride, just like you mentioned. That would be perfect. :)
    And you can’t play “Eye of the Tiger” on the accordian? Drat. That would be so cool and completely funny.
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Paddling on March 31st…in Central Ontario! =-.

13. Meg April 1, 2010 4:33 pm edit

My parents were going to send me to boarding school in grade 4ish because the school in the town we lived in in the Yukon wasn’t pushing me hard enough. Then we moved back to BC and my life fell apart and I quit trying.

Ooooh, I just thought of a weird one! I can’t go to sleep if I’ve just finished a book. I have to start another one right away.
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Notes to myself =-.

14. vahid April 1, 2010 6:58 pm edit

I have sourced documentation of every one of the above Angella Facts. You guys should see her Canadian Crusader outfit. Yowza.

I share your wish to take a long train ride one of these days — I took the train to Seattle last year and loved it, even if it was only a few hours. Oh, and it’s no SkyTrain, but next time you’re in town think about the Aerial Tram.

15. Kristabella April 2, 2010 11:50 am edit

I once swallowed a calculator battery that some hooligan chucked across the room in class in 8th grade. I had to call poison control and go get X-Rays just for me to wait for it to pass. If you know what I mean.
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..I Will Try Anything With The Word Beer In It =-.

16. Mama in the City April 4, 2010 9:46 pm edit

I used to be a nude art model for university art students at the university I attended for nursing school. Sometimes that fact still surprises me now, 10+ years later.
    .-= Mama in the City´s last blog ..Zipping in the City =-.