On Saturday morning I dragged all three kids along with me while I ran errands and got groceries for Easter dinner. I told them that if they did not drive me crazy were good we would do something “cool” upon arriving home. It was touch and go at points but they came through for me. And also, for themselves.

The “cool” thing was dyeing Easter eggs. We had never done this before. I had bought a kit last year but never seemed to get around to actually doing it. I thought that we should do this craft, seeing as how I had the kit. I actually have NO IDEA why people dye Easter eggs. What exactly does it mean? Is it supposed to symbolize something? WHAT ON EARTH AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE EGGS AFTER EASTER? If they were kept in the fridge I could make Egg Salad, but they are on display on the table.  So…wait until they start to stench and then throw them out? This is new territory for me; we never did this growing up.  WHAT DO I DO WITH THE EGGS?

Onwards!

I realized that we were running low on said eggs and as such boiled only seven of them. A mere seven. Two for each of the kids and one for me. But seeing as how they are going to be thrown away/at the neighbors, at least I am not being wasteful. I would have photos of the dyeing process bit I was too busy making sure that the kids/table were not covered in dye. Also. Two eggs per kid equals approximately five minutes of fun. Yes, really. When we were all done we put the eggs on a plate to dry.

Eggs!

When the eggs were done with the stainy-wetness stage I thought I should display them somewhere. All of my glass bowls were in use as I had prepared for Easter dinner in advance.  What to do, what to do? I looked over at our hutch cabinet and saw the answer: A margarita glass.

Eggs ala margarita

Yes, our Easter eggs are displayed in the centre (NOT A TYPO, WORDPRESS) of our table in a margarita glass. Nothing says, “He is risen!” like coloured (CANADIAN SPELLING, WORDRESS) eggs in a margarita glass.

*Dodges lightning bolt*

Onwards!

For Easter, we buy the kids new duds. My Mom came to visit when Emily was wee and had asked me what I was having Emily wear for Easter. Since she was still a baby I thought that Easter dresses were no big deal. My mother would have none of that nonsense. She placed cold hard cash in my hand and told me that I better buy her granddaughter an Easter dress, LEST I DIE. I obliged, and bought a cute one (Good grief. She REALLY WAS BALD.)

Last year was consisted of another Easter dress and our first ever egg hunt (No idea where that tradition started either. But eggs seem to be the central theme. (Why the eggs? And why am I such a lemming?))

My favorite (I GIVE UP, WORDPRESS. YOU WIN) photo from last year:

Love it, love it, love it.

Matthew has to leave early as he runs the Sunday School program. I got the kids ready as quick as I could and dragged them outside for photos as the afternoon forecast was calling for rain. This was my first shot:

Holding Hands

When I told them we were doing photos, they thought it would be great to hold hands. HOW ON EARTH DID I GET KIDS THAT ARE SO STINKIN’ SWEET?

Here is Graham telling me that he had already given me my “One Shot.”

Only One

I then told him that he better play along, lest I take his basket of chocolate and eat it all myself. He thought that cooperating might be in his best interests.

Sigh

If only we could get Nathan to actually, you know, LOOK AT THE CAMERA.

I thought that the tree in the background might be distracting so I made the kids do a 180.

Almost

Emily? YOU NEED TO LOOK TOO.

(Though I kind of adore this photo.)

Let’s try again.

Squished

Not bad.

Let’s zoom in.

Three

Pretty decent. One more?

Cheese

Nathan. Dude. NATURAL SMILE PLEASE.

Better?

WAY better.

I tried to get a less cheesy smile. I had heard that “whiskey” was a good word to say, but the kids now make the same CHEESE face when saying “whiskey.” I told them to say, “Stinky.”

They modified it to be “Stinky Mommy” and the laughter sprung forth.

Stinky Mommy

Ha Ha

OK. That's Good.

It’s funny because it’s true.

Emily wishes all of you a great week.

Miss Emily

The Puppy

Or she would, if she even knew you existed.

(Kind of a funny thought, hey? My kids have no idea who you are. Weird.)

comments

Comments:

1. Kerri Anne April 13, 2009 1:01 am edit

I feel special tonight/this way too early morning because Emily does! know who I am, and who Chris is, and one day I hope she (and Nathan and Graham!) even get to meet Iggy. I think they might all fall in puggy love.

Actual conversation Chris and I had today:

“Hey, wasn’t it last Easter that Ang posted that AWESOME shot that we loved so much, where Emily isn’t so much having any of the Easter portrait fun?”

“Ooh, yes! I think it was.”

“I totally hope she takes Easter pictures again this year.”

“You know she will.”

Happy! (day after) Easter, friend.

Kerri Anne’s last blog post..Cast Me Gently Into Mourning

2. Hannah April 13, 2009 2:44 am edit

Happy Easter, you guys!! First of all, I love the fact that you can get your boys to dress in button-up (and matching!) shirts. My boys? Would NOT do that. And I am insanely jealous of the fact that your kids still smile for photos. Mine have unfortunately entered the stage of pulling silly faces. Because it makes Mummy psycho (and that’s fun).

The photos are CUTE. I also adore that one where Emily is looking down and the boys are smiling. LOVE IT! You should frame it and hang it on her wall. It sort of typifies that she has 2 big brothers looking out for her and protecting her. So sweet!

Hannah’s last blog post..What I Don’t Deserve

3. Jen April 13, 2009 6:12 am edit

Oh my word they’re ADORABLE. I really love the photos.

I have no idea about any of that Easter tradition stuff either. We didn’t do it growing up – we “focused” on Jesus – which meant that we went to church instead of eating chocolate or decorating Easter eggs. I think I may have to look this one up.

We do Easter egg hunts NOW because my husband grew up doing them. A pastor’s kid! Doing Easter egg hunts! HOW HORRIBLE!!!

(I may have a little resentment about my childhood.)

Jen’s last blog post..the bunnies and chocolate part

4. ali April 13, 2009 6:23 am edit

happy Easter! would LOVE to know more about the holiday. for jews, easter is mainly about all the awesome candy that goes on sale at 50% off the day after easter. heh ;)

5. Marin April 13, 2009 6:43 am edit

You’re so lucky they all smile for photos. My brother is nearly 17 and since he was about five, he doesn’t smile in pictures. He thinks he looks dumb, so instead he scowls/has a straight mouth. Because scowling while everyone else is smiling isn’t dumb, either.

Marin’s last blog post..A Whole Lotta Nothing

6. Domestic Extraordinaire April 13, 2009 6:47 am edit

Very cute! “Monkey” is also a great word to have them say to get their mouthes to smile.

No new duds for the girls this year. I made them shop their closet. In the afternoon we went frisbee golfing with my sister & her husband & youngest son. It was a very nice time.

Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..Haiku Friday-the cherish edition

7. Jenn April 13, 2009 6:53 am edit

Love that dress Emily has on!

Jenn

Jenn’s last blog post..You Capture: Week 7

8. Jen April 13, 2009 7:07 am edit

You got some really great shots in there! I love the two big brothers on either side of their baby sister. Adorable!

Jen’s last blog post..Sometimes

9. Lisa April 13, 2009 7:45 am edit

Angella, I LOVE your blog! Not only because you add pictures of your adorable kids, but because of the way you word things. You had me chuckling while reading and I soooo NEEDED that today. Thanks!

10. ELizabeth April 13, 2009 7:58 am edit

Adorable. Totally. Blessed Easter.

ELizabeth’s last blog post..Courtesy: The Little Mermaid

11. Sizzle April 13, 2009 7:59 am edit

Your kids are all kinds of adorable.

Sizzle’s last blog post..What Good Are Words?

12. Sherry April 13, 2009 8:22 am edit

I want to leave some sort of profound comment but the cuteness of your kids is too much. I especially love the way Nathan looks at his brother and sister, so much love!

I’ve often wondered why chocolate eggs and a bunny who hides them ended up tied into a celebration of Jesus rising from the dead. It’s really strange. Even with the over-commercialization, at least giving gifts at Christmas makes some sort of sense, following the three wise men, but chocolate?

(Mmm,chocolate!)

Sherry’s last blog post..The great outdoors (finally!)

13. Kami April 13, 2009 8:57 am edit

LOVE the shots of your kids! They are stinking adorable for certain.

We eat the eggs, withing 3-4 days of dying them even though they are on the table. I think because they are hard boiled they are safe. We are still alive ;)

why eggs is a good question, I think it has to do with the whole renewal = spring = new life thing, but I am guessing.

Kami’s last blog post..For Misty

14. bethany actually April 13, 2009 9:09 am edit

Another good one to get kids to smile for photos is, “Poopy diaper!” or to ask who farted. *shrugs* I do what works, I’m not proud.

I think eggs and Easter bunnies have the same things to do with Easter that Santa and decorated trees have to do with Christmas. Pagan traditions that got adapted because they’re fun. ;-) It’s nice to know that the whole universe is God’s and we can dye eggs and do Easter egg hunts to celebrate His resurrection if we want to, isn’t it?

bethany actually’s last blog post..the promise of the resurrection

15. Meg April 13, 2009 9:38 am edit

I have two brothers, too (though I’m in the middle, not the bebe), and I have to say, they’re the most amazing people EVER. Emily’s a very lucky little lady to have those two as brothers! She might not agree when she’s 18 and the boys are scared of her big brothers though….
    :D
    They are SOOO cute!

Meg’s last blog post..What if I never lost you?

16. hillary April 13, 2009 9:46 am edit

these photos are great! Emily’s dress is precious and I love that the boys dress the same :)

hillary’s last blog post..I’ll Wear Another Smile For You That Way You Know I’m Fine, And Having Fun With You

17. Shelly April 13, 2009 11:03 am edit

K seriously. I am not even closed to even being married, but after seeing these pictures…I want babies!!! NOW!!!

Kidding. But boy am I excited for the time when it is my turn. Such sweet kids!

18. Elaine April 13, 2009 1:25 pm edit

What a bunch of great photos! I’ll have to remember to use “stinky” for our next photo shoot! HA!

Happy Easter to you all…

Elaine’s last blog post..Easter, in an Eggshell

19. Momo Fali April 13, 2009 4:16 pm edit

I forgot to take my camera to my sister’s house yesterday, so how lucky am I that there was a professional photographer there! He’s a friend of hers and took gobs of photos of my children. Yay!

Really. I’m not just saying this. Your kids are positively ADORABLE.

20. Mel April 13, 2009 7:05 pm edit

She is such a honey!!! I LOVE the little barrette in her hair, and the little shoes!! The boys are TOTAL mini hunks!!!

21. angella April 13, 2009 7:07 pm edit

Oh, they know how to charm the ladies. The teenage years should be AWESOME.

22. Loralee April 13, 2009 7:26 pm edit

Holy cow…I cannot believe how much Emily has grown between the two photos. UNBELIEVABLE.

I didn’t do eggs this year at all. Although copious amounts of chocolate was purchased. Heh.

Loralee’s last blog post..Choosing not to breastfeed.

23. Kristin April 13, 2009 11:23 pm edit

Is it odd that I kinda want Emily’s dress to wear out on Saturday night with some really high sandals?

Your kids and your dyed eggs are both freaking adorable.

Kristin’s last blog post..Peeled

24. Michele April 13, 2009 11:29 pm edit

Love the photos! Emily’s dresses are so cute and now with that little clip in her hair – so sweet! Hope you all had a great Easter weekend!

25. monstergirlee April 13, 2009 11:30 pm edit

So stinkin’ cute!
    I totally forgot to get pics of my kids together. Duh! Oh well.

monstergirlee’s last blog post..The Green Green Grass of Hometown…..

26. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com April 14, 2009 11:54 am edit

I love the commentary on the Easter pictures; it really cracked me up =)

27. Andrew and Lisa Burt April 14, 2009 2:20 pm edit

Beautiful children!

28. witchypoo April 14, 2009 3:09 pm edit

Ostara is a pagan holiday, and Easter is geared to coincide with it, all determined by the first Sunday after the full moon. I don’t know much about pagan holidays, but I do believe Ostara refers to eggs.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Grace In Small Things the Tenth

29. Kate April 14, 2009 6:32 pm edit

I love, love your pictures and also you have beautiful Easter eggs. Way impressed!

Kate’s last blog post..How to fail school tests with dignity.

30. Jennifer April 14, 2009 11:59 pm edit

This all gave me such a smile. Loved every single one of the photos. Emily is so cute with her little pup. I’m sorry, I LOL’d for real over SEVEN eggs. My dad grew up in a large family and for some reason he thought that me and my brother should color DOZENS of eggs every year. I think this year we were able to get him down to 3 dozen with the 4 grandkids.

Jennifer’s last blog post..Welcome

31. movin down the road April 18, 2009 1:59 pm edit

I totally forgot to get my kids easter dresses. they wore jeans and sneakers that day. Whoops.

movin down the road’s last blog post..Another word from our only sponsor