Life has kicked me in the hiney.

I thought about doing a tangent about using the term “ass” instead of “hiney” and how God used the term “ass” in the Bible, and I could make it all funny and such.  Except that fellow Jesus lovers would get all upset with my swearing. Then I could talk about how Jesus turned water into wine, and hung out with “sinners”, so maybe “swearing” was not a big deal back then.  But then I thought that maybe the humour would fall on deaf ears and so I let that tangent idea go.

Wait.  Where was I?

Oh, yes.  I am feeling a little overwhelmed.  Nothing unusual, if you are a regular around these parts.  Life gets all CRAZY and I get all FREAKED OUT and then I WRITE A BIG RANT POST and you guys are all, “IT’S GOING TO BE OK” and I am all, “I KNOW” and “I LOVE YOU GUYS”.  And “WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU???”

Wait.  Where was I?

Ah, yes.  Crazy.  Per usual.

I cannot blame this particular brand of crazy on work, as I am currently not working.  I am “just” on full-time parenting duty.  This involves hanging out with children who do as I say, act as they are told, and say, “Yes, Ma’am!” whenever I speak.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wait.  Where was I?

Here is the deal.  I went away for a conference where I got to meet some of the amazing women (WAY more than I linked to!) that I knew online.  I have read some garbage after the fact where people were upset that certain bloggers did not become their BFF’s.  GET A GRIP, people.

I went there to meet people that I already had a connection with.  I did not expect to be BFF’s with people whom I had never been friends with beforehand.  If you did?  You had completely unrealistic expectations.  Seriously.  Another point I would like to make: YOU CANNOT BE CLOSE FRIENDS WITH 1,000 WOMEN.

Shocking, I know.

Wait.  Where was I?

Just busy.  And overwhelmed.  Leaving home for five days threw me off-kilter and I am having a hard time getting my groove back.  I am married to Superman, yes, but some things are my forte (Paying bills! Because I am an accountant!) and they waited for me until I returned.  I feel like I am sprinting to catch up but am running out of steam.  I am also leaving again this weekend for a three-day solo trip to Vancouver (attending a wedding and shooting another).  Upon returning, I start a two-week work contract.

Yes, my head WILL explode.  JUST YOU WAIT.

Wait.  Where was I?

Barely keeping up, that’s where.  In addition to being run-down and overwhelmed, I have three little people who depend on me to make meals, clean their clothes, and wipe a butt crack or two.

There are the primal necessities and then there are the emotional responsibilities.  Other parents can understand what I am saying here.  Kids like boundaries.  Boundaries make them feel safe and secure.  Every once in awhile, they need to test those boundaries to make sure that they are still there.  As per Murphy’s Law, all three kids have chosen THIS WEEK to test those boundaries.  HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY.

This morning was a complete and utter gong show.  I was trying to get everyone fed, dressed, and out the door.  There were shouts (by me) of, “Please get out of your jammies!” and “Stop wrestling on my bed!” and “CAN YOU PLEASE GET YOUR CLOTHES ON FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!!!”

I threw their clothes downstairs while packing the beach bag with snacks and ice water. As I lumbered down the stairs with the gear (Towels, and snacks, and ice water, oh my!), I saw that Miss Emily thought she should help me out by dressing herself.

(Yes, the lighting/photo is crappy, but I WAS CAPTURING A MOMENT.)

Kind of looks like a do-rag, no?

Just wait.  It gets better.

I looked in the rear view mirror and caught sight of my three kooky kids.  Upon arriving at the beach, I thought it best to capture what I saw.

Goggles

Goggles

Goggles

Kids.  They drive you to the bring of insanity, only to bring you back again.

Wait.  Where was I?

Right.  Crazy, but content.  Busy, but blessed.  Tired, but peaceful.  As I should be.

comments

Comments:

1. Andrea July 29, 2008 7:45 pm edit

Kids… They do make your head explode sometimes. But, we love ‘em just the same, don’t we? And like Daniel has said (don’t hate us… we’re just keepin’ it real)

“IT’S A GOOD THING YOU’RE CUTE, KID!”

-Andrea

Andrea’s last blog post..Rockin’ Eliza and… some other stuff

2. angella July 29, 2008 7:47 pm edit

HAHA!! We say the EXACT SAME THING. Just keeping it real, yo.

3. Kami July 29, 2008 8:24 pm edit

I say that all the time too Andrea! I really honestly think that’s why God made them cute….really it’s for their own safety.

They push your buttons but they sure do know how to melt your heart too… or make you split your gut!

Kami’s last blog post..Photography Don’ts

4. Heather July 29, 2008 8:26 pm edit

I totally understand. It is harder to not get too real when they are teenagers….the cuteness wears off a bit. Then it is just the light at the end of the tunnel, that promised land that you keep reminding yourself of. (Seriously though, I love my girls, just not everything they choose to say or do)

great photos!

Heather’s last blog post..Monday’s Musings

5. Hannah July 29, 2008 8:30 pm edit

Yep, been there, done that. KIDS!

Hannah’s last blog post..The interview

6. Marianne July 29, 2008 8:37 pm edit

Heh, glad they are helping you keep it real.

Also – yay Vancouver! ;)

Marianne’s last blog post..Ike-aaahhhhhhhh

7. Ashley July 29, 2008 8:38 pm edit

Love those photos! Did Emily manage those bottoms on her head all by herself? What a cutie!

Ashley’s last blog post..Can you say…?

8. slynnro July 29, 2008 8:53 pm edit

HAHAHAHA.

Also, thank you for making the most matter of fact statement about the blogtroversy I have read.

slynnro’s last blog post..Girl meets centipede. Hilarity ensues.

9. Camels & Chocolate July 29, 2008 9:28 pm edit

HA! I feel like this on a daily basis (whoever said the freelance lifestyle would be a nice change was WRONG, WRONG I tell you!) and all I have is a low-maintenance boyfriend and a cat who doesn’t like people. I can’t imagine what it’s like to have three kids!!!

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Baffled by Banff

10. Kristin July 29, 2008 10:39 pm edit

Ha ha ha ha! Those are some funny pictures of some funny, cute kids!

11. Meg July 29, 2008 11:05 pm edit

Emily is SO helpful!!! What a big girl! (hehehe)
    Love the goggles!

Meg’s last blog post..141 days to go!

12. Michele July 29, 2008 11:11 pm edit

Hahahaha!!! I love your kids! Such helpful little souls! Great photos!

13. ali July 30, 2008 6:15 am edit

Crazy, but content. Busy, but blessed. Tired, but peaceful

my life. exactly. *sigh*

ps. LOVE your thoughts on blogher. love.

14. joyce July 30, 2008 6:22 am edit

loved this post! bringing you to the brink of insanity…totally. and then one nanosecond later…you “forget”…only to think your baby is truely an angel sent from Heaven!

joyce’s last blog post..Impromtu photo shoot

15. sizzle July 30, 2008 7:16 am edit

That’s how they stay alive- they drive you to the brink of insanity and then make you crack up. SAVED!

;-)

sizzle’s last blog post..This Little Light

16. chris July 30, 2008 7:28 am edit

Too funny. Kids look so cute in goggles, adults just look deranged.

chris’s last blog post..Party Like It’s October 31st

17. Sharon July 30, 2008 8:21 am edit

I love it when little kids decide to dress themselves – they usually come up with the best combinations. So cute!

Sharon’s last blog post..In case you hadn’t guessed, I love to read?

18. hills July 30, 2008 10:29 am edit

Dude. I promise that shooting my wedding won’t make your head explode. My head might explode (in fact, I’m pretty sure it exploded last night) but your head? Your head will be fine.

hills’s last blog post..Well See I’m On To Your Scam And I’ll Tell You How

19. Elaine July 30, 2008 12:23 pm edit

At least you can see the blessings through all the hysteria, right there behind you in the car! : )

I love the expression “for the love of Pete!” I use that one a lot myself. Who is Pete anyway?

Elaine’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday #26 – Beach Memories

20. Mrs. Flinger July 30, 2008 12:46 pm edit

Ahhh, yes. I’m THERE. So funny we’re in the fail whale place together.

And fuckit. I swear all the time. XO

Mrs. Flinger’s last blog post..Like High School Track: Complete with god-awful shorts and chafing

21. Kerri Anne July 30, 2008 12:53 pm edit

You perspective is always refreshing, babe, and not just because you never sugar coat anything and yet you are always thankful for what you do have in abundance. Here’s to naps.

Kerri Anne’s last blog post..Portrait Of A Tuesday Night

22. melanie July 30, 2008 1:53 pm edit

That first photo totally cracked me up! And I understand the whole “crappy photo capturing a moment bit” I was talking about it just today. Another thing I have been writing about (although not published yet) kids bringing you back from the brink of insanity. Funny!

melanie’s last blog post..Scootching Olympics

23. red lotus mama July 30, 2008 2:21 pm edit

Coming home from trips always seems to do that to me. Infact, very busy weekends does that to me! You get into a groove and the music is changed you are all of a sudden of rhythm. Kids do bring the smile back and make you realize that even if you are off rhythm for a little bit the beat of the music will start to make sense again and you will get your groove back.

24. Loralee July 30, 2008 4:55 pm edit

This is why you should just give in to the dark side and post photos of you making out with other women.

(OK, I am SO kidding. Just to make you smile, dang it!) (SEE?! I didn’t even curse!!!) (I can do nothing about the caps and exclamation points and parenthesis, however.)

Loralee’s last blog post..Sideblog: My take on Mamma Mia

25. monstergirlee July 30, 2008 8:45 pm edit

I love it when kids dress themselves at a young age. I used to be embarassed but then realized that any parent will look at the outfit and realize, yeah, they must have done that all by themselves. Everyone else can f**k off. ooh, pretty harsh. sorry. I have a bad attitude today.
    Sorry there are some sour grapes about blogher. I haven’t read anything except very positive stuff. ah well.
    thanks for sharing.

monstergirlee’s last blog post..Bees & Flowers – Day 2

26. witchypoo July 31, 2008 5:19 am edit

Emily? Makes me melt.
    And now she has hair. Awesome.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Illa

27. Kristabella July 31, 2008 10:06 am edit

I’m with you on the overwhelmed thing. And I was only home a week before heading back out to another hotel and I barely had time to unpack my suitcase from the last time.

I love the do-rag!

Kristabella’s last blog post..I’m Ready To Go Home Now

28. She Likes Purple August 1, 2008 11:57 am edit

I sometimes wonder why I can’t make money off napping. You know how people say, “go with what moves you!” and “follow your passion and the money will follow!” My passion is napping these days and NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO FUND THAT.

So, yes, life becomes overwhelming. Enjoy Vancouver! Take a moment or two dozen for yourself! Keep taking those beautiful pictures of your kiddos.

xoxo