The summer after my grade eight year was full of change.  I became a Christian, moved in with my Dad and Stepmom, left the town I had spent my entire life in.  I spent the summer playing cards with my older brother and chasing around my toddler sister.

We decided that I would go to a private Christian school as we thought it might be an easier transition for me in this new town.  It was also highly academic, as was I, so it seemed like the right choice.  The only downside was that the class sizes were small. Tiny, even.  There was only going to be one other person in my grade, and it happened to be another girl.

This made me a little worried.  What if she was a weirdo?  What if she thought I was a weirdo?  What if we just did not get along and yet were stuck sitting next to each other all day, every day?

At one point in the summer while in the mall with my family, this blur of a girl went whizzing by.  My stepmom flagged her down so that I could meet my new classmate.

Krystal.

She was quite pleasant but was running late and had to go.  She was pretty (Which is difficult at the age of thirteen.  I am a living testament to that fact), and seemed nice and all…but what would happen once the school year started?

What happened was that I made one of the best friends of my entire life.  We were inseparable.

She taught me how to backcomb my bangs so they stood to the sky, I taught her how to fold and roll her jeans.  Her house was my house, and vice versa.  We spent hours eating candy and talking about boys.  There was youth group, Dairy Queen, youth conventions.

When we weren’t together, we were on the phone.  Not a day went by where we did not speak at least a half a dozen times.  The following summer I went to my Mom’s for two weeks so we wrote letters to each other. Because two weeks was SO LONG TO BE APART.  To ease our pain, we decided that we were sisters.  Our middle names both start with the letter D, so we would write letters addressed to the other person by using our middle name…and a blend of our two last names: Moyer.

Yes, we were both weirdos.

In grade eleven I opted to go to the public high school.  I made new friends, but none as close as her.  I would get home from school and phone her immediately.  Or just head to her house instead of mine.

At the end of our grade eleven year we were dealt a crushing blow.  Her family was moving.  They were leaving our small town in Northern BC and moving down to the Lower Mainland.  I could not believe it.  What would I do without Krystal?

It was a hard adjustment, but we weathered it.  My Dad worked for the airlines at the time, so I got to fly down a few times.  I went off to college two provinces away and we kept our friendship.  It would ebb and flow, but never break.

A few years later I found myself in Vancouver.  She was out in the Valley, but we got together as often as we could.  She was my Krystal.

Over the years a lot has changed.  She got married, had a baby…then her husband turned out to be nothing like we had all hoped.  She was soon a single Mom, and in true Krystal style, she pulled it off.  Well. She got re-educated, worked hard, bought a home.  She is a shining example of grace under fire.

The fire seemed to keep coming her way.  My friend, my sister, is one of the most extraordinary people you will ever encounter.  She has seen more heartache than a girl should have to bear.  I have fielded far too many phone calls where she had been crushed yet again.

A short while ago she told me of a new man in her life.  I cautioned her to guard her heart, becuase she deserves nothing but the best.  I wanted her to have someone who loved the same God she did, who would love her and her daughter with his entire being.  She deserves at least that.

Yesterday, I drove four hours to the Coast in order to attend her wedding.  I had not met her betrothed until the moment I walked across the grass to find my seat.  He shook my hand and looked into my eyes.  It was then I knew that she had finally met the man that I, and everyone else who loves her, had been praying for.

The weather was perfect, the ceremony was inspiring, the communion they shared was heavenly.  Her mother and I are convinced that there were angels perched in the trees, watching over it all.

I have waited twenty years to see her this happy.

Krystal

I love you Krystal.

Me and Krystal

My life would not be the same without you.

comments

Comments:

1. slynnro August 3, 2008 10:17 am edit

Lovely post Angella.

slynnro’s last blog post..Scenes From a Yuppie Apartment Complex: Unfortunate Resident Edition

2. Janssen August 3, 2008 10:40 am edit

That’s one of those things I LOVE about blogging – it lets you be happy for someone you’ve never met, probably never will meet, and had never even heard of until this particular blog post. Today, I’m so happy for Krystal.

Janssen’s last blog post..Luck Be a Lady Tonight

3. Victoria August 3, 2008 10:52 am edit

Yay!

Victoria’s last blog post..Thanks!

4. Tamara August 3, 2008 11:35 am edit

This is soooo sweet, Angella. Congratulations Krystal!

5. Kami August 3, 2008 11:42 am edit

How wonderful! This is a beautiful tribute to your friend and she was a stunning bride. Stunning.

Kami’s last blog post..Winnipeg Day 1

6. sizzle August 3, 2008 12:36 pm edit

How wonderful that she found the person meant for her. And that you two have such a beautiful connection.

sizzle’s last blog post..A Gift

7. Amanda Brown August 3, 2008 12:57 pm edit

Beautiful. She is beaming and so are you. So glad you could be there to share in the happiness.

Amanda Brown’s last blog post..It’s A Dirty Job

8. Robyn August 3, 2008 1:16 pm edit

awwww, just lovely :)

Robyn’s last blog post..Whirlwind Weekend (part two)

9. Loralee August 3, 2008 1:31 pm edit

This post would melt the most cynical heart and give hope to the most pessimistic of people.

Fabulous.

Loralee’s last blog post..Sideblog:Caption winner!

10. bethany actually August 3, 2008 1:39 pm edit

That photo of Krystal looking at her ring, face glowing with happiness, says it all. I think that is my new favorite photo of yours, seriously.

Also, this post made me cry a little, thinking of a couple of girlfriends who have been like that in my life. I am so glad she has YOU for a friend too, to lean on and share her joy!

bethany actually’s last blog post..I’m part of the collective!

11. joyce August 3, 2008 1:47 pm edit

beautiful post! love the ‘ebb and flow, but never break’ analogy of your friendship…it also describes many of mine.

joyce’s last blog post..Impromtu photo shoot

12. Hannah August 3, 2008 1:57 pm edit

What a lovely post!! I am very happy for her too – I feel like I “know” her a little bit just from reading your amazing tribute to her. And you both look beautiful in that photo!

Hannah’s last blog post..In list form

13. Kristin August 3, 2008 2:24 pm edit

What a great post. :) She looks very happy!

14. witchypoo August 3, 2008 4:07 pm edit

That image of her smiling at her ring has to be the most beautiful bride picture I have ever seen. So real. Well done.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Medicine Man

15. Maria August 3, 2008 4:42 pm edit

Congrats to her!!

Maria’s last blog post..Not so Tenderhearted.

16. Rachel August 3, 2008 6:52 pm edit

Oh Angella, what a beautiful tribute to her! You two are truly blessed to have such a wonderful relationship and especially one that has passed the test of time.
    Gorgeous pics.

Rachel’s last blog post..Shades of a Memory

17. Mrs. Wilson August 3, 2008 7:37 pm edit

Awww!!! I totally love the one of her looking at her ring. Gorgeous.

I’m so glad you have such a wonderful friend!!

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..My ideal job

18. Camels & Chocolate August 3, 2008 7:40 pm edit

She’s beautiful! And I LOVE that wedding dress!

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..But a Mere Toddler

19. angella August 3, 2008 8:38 pm edit

Thanks to everyone. I love YOU GUYS TOO.

20. Suebob August 3, 2008 8:49 pm edit

Aw. That is a GOOD story.

Suebob’s last blog post..Unbelievable

21. Elizabeth August 3, 2008 10:06 pm edit

Beautiful. Beautiful girl(s) and beautiful words. Congratulations and many blessings to Krystal.

Elizabeth’s last blog post..No longer a baby, it seems.

22. Michele August 3, 2008 10:47 pm edit

Wow! I’ve got tears in my eyes!!! What a beautiful post in honour of your friend! May she live happily ever after!

23. gorillabuns August 4, 2008 8:13 am edit

What a beautiful post about a beautiful friendship. I don’t have one of those with a school friend. You are very blessed.

24. kaili August 4, 2008 8:20 am edit

Did you get to shoot the wedding? Love the shot of her looking at her ring! So cute!

kaili’s last blog post..Laughing SO hard!

25. Don Mills DIva August 4, 2008 7:05 pm edit

Okay now you’ve got me all weepy. What a lovely tribute to your friend – she looks so happy!

Don Mills DIva’s last blog post..My style, it is a-changing

26. Tracee Sioux August 4, 2008 7:35 pm edit

no substitute for a bff. ever.

Does one other student actually qualify as a “grade?”

27. mommyknows August 4, 2008 11:39 pm edit

Krystal is beautiful, just like you!

MK xo

mommyknows’s last blog post..Son of a Beach!

28. Elaine August 5, 2008 12:22 pm edit

So glad to hear a story with a happy ending and praise God that your friend found a good man.

You girls are gorgeous… now we just need to see a pic from your teen years! How fun would that be? ; )

Elaine’s last blog post..Fish Tales

29. katie August 5, 2008 1:31 pm edit

Ahhhh…what a happy ending! Love it.

katie’s last blog post..YMSB

30. Kristabella August 5, 2008 1:57 pm edit

What a wonderful post. So touching.

You cannot put a price on friendships like that!

Kristabella’s last blog post..Mother Nature: Providing Drama Since The Dawn Of Time

31. The Over-Thinker August 5, 2008 6:23 pm edit

What a wonderful friendship!! That photo of her looking at her ring is GORGEOUS and so is she!!

The Over-Thinker’s last blog post..Hey! Look over there! A post!