After forty days and forty nights of rain, the likes of which I’ve never seen since moving to this here desert country nine years ago, the sun finally grew a pair and put the beats to the rain clouds. For the past week or so we’ve seen nothing but blue sky, white puffy clouds and golden sunshine. Like the Vitamin D deprived people we are, we’ve bean soaking up every ray that we can.

I mentioned that the weekend was busy, but the last three days have been more of the same. Between work and school and baseball and shopping excursions with Miss Emily and dinner with extended family, by the time I sit down at my computer it’s past 9 p.m. and I have only a few moments after getting freelance stuff done to try to go through the three hundred photos I took last weekend before my eyes grow heavy and I need to crawl into bed so that I can start it all over again the next morning.

Summer weather makes for many great memories, the bulk of which I’ve realized will never be documented here. I’d rather make one more memory than pass it up in order to document another one, you know?

However. I finally managed to get through those photos and I’m taking a few moments to share what we’ve been up to because, well, that’s what I do when I can.

Saturday was the second-last day of soccer for the dudes this year.

Captain Obvious statement of the day: I live in a beautiful place.

Graham, having never played soccer until this year (not even in the school yard) caught on fast and makes his Momma (and Daddy) proud.

Miss Emily wasn’t old enough to play this year, so she and I practice along the sidelines.

She tells me that next year she will be in ballet and soccer. Fine by me.

Nathan was the sports superstar that he’s always been.

(That’s him in front of the goal markers.)

Thanks be to the fact that we have a well on our property, we hooked up our sprinkler despite the water restrictions we’ve been under.

This photo brings me no end of glee:

Love.

The barbecue we attended on Sunday was at a park that includes a water park. Needless to say, the kids were thrilled.

To add to our general busy-ness, I’ve taken up a new hobby this week. I KNOW.

Last Friday a few coworkers and I were sponsored by our firm to partake in a “women in business” golf tournament. I hadn’t played golf in seven years but the game was Best Ball and all about having fun. Have fun we did, and I even managed to make some sweet shots. The view wasn’t bad either.

A friend’s daughter had babysat the kids (Matthew was at a work BBQ) and while dropping her off my friend and I got to talking about golf. She loves to golf, attends the Ladies’ Night at the local golf course every Tuesday night and asked if I could be their fourth. So! Two nights ago, I played “real” golf for the first time and had SO MUCH FUN. I was hitting pretty well, the weather was amazing, the company even better, and it felt good to be outside walking in the fresh air. I think I’m in love.

So here’s where we’re at as summer continues: BUSY. Happy, but busy. And maybe a little bit tired.

comments

Comments:

1. Sarah June 24, 2010 5:19 am edit

You really do live in a beautiful place! And don’t you just love the simple joys of summer? All you need is to be outside…and a little bit of water doesn’t hurt either.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Playdate: Conquered =-.

2. Janssen June 24, 2010 5:40 am edit

Don’t you just love being outside? Brings happiness to my heart.
    .-= Janssen´s last blog ..Cast Your Votes =-.

3. K June 24, 2010 5:41 am edit

Sarah stole my first line! Your hometown is gorgeous!
    I played golf once with my brother and my dad and had such a great time! They were fairly new to the sport and it turned out I wasn’t much worse (sometimes better!) than they were.
    .-= K´s last blog ..Birthday =-.

4. Kate June 24, 2010 5:47 am edit

Totally agree… you DO live in a fantastically beautiful place. So much so, that your pictures make me want to go on vacation.

5. Brittany June 24, 2010 7:00 am edit

Thanks for taking time to update us on your awesome goings on! Is it my imagination or are the kids getting really tall all of a sudden? Glad you’re taking so many pictures. I try to do the same for my family, ‘cuz you know each stage goes so fast and before you know it you’re looking back thinking, “Why didn’t I take more pictures?!” (Ok, maybe you don’t think that, Ms. Photo Afficionado, but I sure do sometimes.)

Way to milk the goodness out of summer! :) Keep up the busy outdoorsy-ness, even if it means a few short night’s sleep. It’s totally worth it. (Besides, summer’s short, and you’ll have plenty of time to edit pics when it’s snowing… not that you have to think about that yet.)

6. a- June 24, 2010 7:18 am edit

I too was just wanting to comment on how gorgeous the scenery is there. Amazing – enjoy it!

7. Laura Radniecki June 24, 2010 7:20 am edit

I live in an area with 5 star golf courses all over the place and where people come from all over the state and country to golf here. I have golfed 9 holes in my whole life hahaha. My grandparents are big golfers and are continuously trying to convert my mom. My Grandma has her in on a Tuesday night Ladies League, much like yours. Maybe someday I’ll be there too! I did ok with it when I went [like 8 years ago!] so it could be something in my future!

So glad that you are enjoying the summer! Glad to have some updates!
    .-= Laura Radniecki´s last blog ..Rose & Steve – 60th Wedding Anniversary Party – Lifestyle Event Photography =-.

8. Ashley June 24, 2010 7:31 am edit

Glad you had fun golfing, but in this house “golf” is a four letter word. Or at least to me it is. It brings back vivid memories of me, a golf course, a relatively attractive guy, a back swing and club airbound. And the dude wasn’t the one who let go….

Anyways, beautiful shots as per usual. Enjoy the sunshine and the extra time with the kidlets!
    .-= Ashley ´s last blog ..Splurge Vs. Save =-.

9. gorillabuns June 24, 2010 8:02 am edit

You are still in school? Wow! We’ve been out for about a month but then again, it’s 100 degrees around here.

My kids are envious your kids can play outside.:)

1. angella June 24, 2010 10:16 am edit

I guess so! Though we’ll be that hot around the end of July/beginning of August. One day last year we got up to 106. I melted.

As for school, we get out at the end of June, but don’t go back until after the September long weekend. When I read back-to-school posts in August from friends in the U.S., it seems so odd because we’re still at the beach. :)

10. Kerri Anne June 24, 2010 9:52 am edit

That last picture of Emily is one of my all-time faves. The sheer glee! I love it.

And: How have we never talked about golf? I took lessons for EIGHT YEARS, and to this day my dad is still a little heartbroken that I didn’t try to get a college scholarship to play, which he swears I could have. At the time I said something like, “But that would mean I would have to play golf, right?” Nice, Kerri.
    .-= Kerri Anne´s last blog ..Est. 1982 =-.

11. Kristabella June 24, 2010 12:03 pm edit

I enjoy golf, but I am SO BAD at it!

I really liked working the charity golf tournament we had every year when I worked for the 49ers. We basically sat at one of the holes, talked to players and sponsors and drank beer in the sun.
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..The Spark I Needed? =-.

12. Mama in the City June 24, 2010 1:20 pm edit

Loved the update on all the going ons with the kids and your own stuff too! It sounds busy but like a really good balance between family-work-play. I particularly loved the picture (Missy Moo) of your girl out in the sun in her bathing suit. She just beams sweetness.
    .-= Mama in the City´s last blog ..Week 4 Celebrations! Pop The Champagne Please! =-.

13. hillary June 24, 2010 1:54 pm edit

*sigh* your photos makes me miss the Okanagan.
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..Did You Ever Know That You’re My Hero And Everything I Would Like To Be? I Can Fly Higher Than An Eagle =-.

14. Hannah June 24, 2010 2:43 pm edit

Sigh. I miss summer! But the nice thing about it being winter here is that I get to see all your summery photos and look forward to what is to come (in 6 freakin’ months, yes, but at least it IS coming).

Golf, wow! I never imagined you as a golfer, but why not when you get to play on such a beautiful course with a fabulous view! And it sounds like you’re pretty good at it, too!
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..Stopped in my tracks =-.

15. Sarah June 24, 2010 2:59 pm edit

Ahhh, summer. I am so glad it’s finally sunny around here.

Also: I can’t wait to see you again in July! And all the kids! :D
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..The Zoo =-.

16. Danica June 25, 2010 9:31 am edit

I LOVE golf!
    Pretty pictures, as always.
    .-= Danica´s last blog ..Daunted =-.

17. Elaine June 25, 2010 10:33 am edit

Well shoot! I’d play golf at that beautiful golf course. WOW! Wishing I could come to Canada again… it’s SO beautiful there… Happy Summer girl!
    .-= Elaine´s last blog ..You Capture – Get Down Low =-.

18. mpotter June 25, 2010 11:06 am edit

ahhh yes, you DO live in a gorgeous place!
    i actually meant to email you to let you know that my trip to vancouver i took ages ago (april) was FANTASTIC.
    and mr. president, if you’re reading this—- you just may have one less constituent on your hands.

i tell you- if i could, i would!

in any case- your pics are awesome. and so much fun!
    enjoy the rest of the summer & blue skies.
    b/c here in GA, those skies bring with it terrible heat.
    .-= mpotter´s last blog ..weekend discovery =-.

19. Jenn June 26, 2010 8:51 pm edit

Looking forward to camping in your next of the woods during the next few weeks. We love living in the Lower Mainland but it is such a treat to visit the British Columbian Desert. My husband grew up in Oliver so it does feel like coming home when we visit. Beauty all around us.
    Jenn