As I so laboriously posted, last week was a bit overwhelming with the Cold Of Epic Proportions.

I feel like I need to state for the record that I am not one to “play up” sickness.  I am the one who “powers through” any illness. Who scoffs at those who claim to be sick (Yet again) (Hypochondria, much?) I have dealt with enough people in my life who moan and groan about any and every possible “illness” that my eyes hurt from rolling into the back of my head.

Because of my jaded view I felt a little hypocritical posting about how sick we were last week, lest people hurt their eyeballs with the pronounced rolling.

Now that we have made it to the other side of The Sick, I can testify that it really was THAT BAD. One afternoon, while solo parenting my three (also sick) children, I locked the four of us in my bedroom. I placed everyone on my bed, set the kids up with water, Goldfish, and a movie (Madagascar 2! Again! Still!) My body was physically incapable of staying awake. I curled up with my arms across my three children and drifted off for the blissful twenty minutes that was required for me to function for the rest of the afternoon.

Don’t judge me. There were no sharp objects in the room.

We are on the other side of The Death Cold, which means that our heads are clear and our eyes are no longer glassy. Well, no more than normal.

On Tuesday afternoon I had some time to myself. Graham was at school, Emily was napping, and Nathan was playing Wii Sports reading fourth-grade reading books. I pondered what I could post about and could think of nothing other than complaining about The Sick That Was. And about the fact that The Winter That Never Ends is sucking my creativity dry. I like to shoot photos in natural light and winter is NOT HELPING in that department. I was feeling so bored.

I know. I was boring myself with that train of thought. Nobody wants to read about how bored I was. Except, well, you just did. Sorry about that.

I cracked open the laptop and started looking through the photos I had taken of the kids to commemorate our return to The Land Of The Living.

G-Force

Nate Dawg

Miss Emily

A few of the photos were…meh…until I turned them into black and white. I was then inspired play with more black and white.  I closed the laptop, picked up my camera, wandered around the house and yard and shot some photos. A post was born.

I hate wallowing in a bad (or bored) mood and it felt good to get up and actually do something about it. Winter is nowhere near being finished and that is completely and utterly out of my control. I’m tired of it, yes, but also tired of whining about it to no end. Not only will it not change anything, I’m just contributing to the negativity that seems to be in the air. No more.

I’m going to suck it up and do my best to focus on the good in my life. Keep me accountable, will you?

comments

Comments:

1. Mrs. Wilson February 26, 2009 2:09 am edit

Oh. My. Word. That photo of Graham is STUNNING. (The other two are as well, but the top one just stood out to me.) He looks so grown up! (sorry) And cool!

I can definitely commiserate with you on the LONG COLD winter, but I’ll also help keep you accountable with the looking at the positive.

You’re welcome ;)

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..Just thought you should know

2. Kami February 26, 2009 7:04 am edit

If you stop complaining does that mean I have to as well?

;-)

Kami’s last blog post..Vanity? No, more like insanity.

3. angella February 26, 2009 7:06 am edit

You live in SASKATCHEWAN. You have every right to complain :)

4. Sharon February 26, 2009 7:33 am edit

I definitely need to work on being more positive as well. I whine and complain about the weather in the winter too, especially when it snows. You’re so right – my whining is not going to make the snow melt any faster! ;) I know you can do it!

I love the photos you post of your kids – they’re so photogenic and squishably cute!

Sharon’s last blog post..Pink Shirt Day

5. ali February 26, 2009 7:57 am edit

i love black and white photos. LOVE. if it were up to me, every single photo ever would be turned to black and white.

ali’s last blog post..TOP THAT, Teen Witch. or Kenneth Parcell. whichever floats your boat.

6. Domestic Extraordinaire February 26, 2009 8:47 am edit

I am so happy that you are finally feeling better. So sorry to hear about the snow. I am going to bask in the 50 degree weather we have today and try not to pout too much when there is rain and then snow this weekend.

Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: Hanging out at the horse barn with my camera edition

7. hillary February 26, 2009 9:01 am edit

I’m glad you lot are feeling better!

PS – It SNOWED in Vancouver yesterday. Stupid winter.

hillary’s last blog post..Famous Homemade Chicken Soup, Can I Have Another Bowl?

8. angella February 26, 2009 9:03 am edit

It snowed here too…and is now DUMPING snow. But I’m not complaining. Nope.

9. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com February 26, 2009 11:36 am edit

I especially like the milk jug/pot/canister/thing. It’s very rustic and unique.

10. christy February 26, 2009 12:07 pm edit

Glad you made it back to the land of the living.
    Did you get my email? I tried to Skype you yesterday but your ID wan’t cooperating. Bah Humbug.

11. Hannah February 26, 2009 12:31 pm edit

I’m glad to hear that you guys are feeling better now. Sounds like it has been a tough week at your place!
    Good on you for looking for the positive things and focusing on them. It’s such a mood-booster! Love the photos, per usual ;-)

Hannah’s last blog post..A glimpse ?

12. Jeannette February 26, 2009 1:33 pm edit

Glad you’re all feeling better! (and if you want to shoo some snow down to Central NJ, we’d love to make a snowman this winter.)
    I love how the background is so dark – it makes their faces really pop. How do you do that?

13. angella February 26, 2009 1:39 pm edit

True confession: It’s our navy couch. I just bump up the black…

14. anji February 26, 2009 3:05 pm edit

I totally get you when you say it was bad… I got sick February 13th and I am thinking only today, am I back to feeling close to 100%… I missed three days of work in a row, which I NEVER have done… it would have been four but the monday was an Ontario holiday (family day, do you guys have that there?) … as a new teacher who had only been there for two weeks, I felt devasted that I missed on three fantastic days to keep the momentum of change going….

I’m hoping you are feeling better! (And that you didn’t need the pepto, haha) Like I said before…. kudos to any parent who is sick at the same time as their kids because, I have a hard enough time taking care of ME let alone little people! :) Good job! you survived :D

15. anji February 26, 2009 6:53 pm edit

Hey, it’s me again! I was just checking the news when I saw this article called : What women should – and shouldn’t – wear to work

16. Andrea February 27, 2009 6:13 am edit

I am not one to complain about being sick, also. I just go about my business as best as I can without dragging everyone else down.

Not so my husband. (who I love dearly.)

He had The Man Cold this week and last.

Clearly I wanted to lop his head off.

I may have suggest he not let the also sick five year old show him up in the “deal with it” department.

Nice wife, huh. A girl can only take so much!

I am glad you are on the other side. That was BAD, wasn’t it!

I saw you twitter about your husband… hoping it was a fluke stomach ache!

-Andrea

Andrea’s last blog post..After-School Snack

17. angella February 27, 2009 6:15 am edit

Andrea,

My cold was BAD. But it was no match for THE MAN COLD.

It really is God’s perfect plan that men do not give birth.

*wink*

18. witchypoo February 27, 2009 6:45 am edit

People complaining about the cold always amaze me. My usual reply is “It’s winter, isn’t it?” Soon enough, they’ll be complaining about the heat. At least in winter, you can layer for it. There’s only so naked you can get in summer.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Skinny Bitch Gets Hers

19. Moose February 27, 2009 9:47 am edit

I’m tempted to sing Chaka Khan’s “Tell Me Something Good!” at you, complete with Bwah Bwahs. But it wouldn’t translate so well via the Internet. So you’ll have to imagine it.

Moose’s last blog post..Nothing Compares To You (Yes, That’s Sinead O?Connor. Sorry.)

20. Loralee February 28, 2009 10:40 am edit

Hmmm…

You may want to avoid my blog.

Heh. ;)

Loralee’s last blog post..Sick tips