If you know me at all, then you know that I love Summer. And that I hate Winter. And that Fall isn’t always my favorite because it is the gateway to hell Winter. As for Spring, well, it’s all downhill to Summer from there, so Spring is pretty cool.

You might also know that I struggle with the seasons because I can often get that undercurrent of melancholy when the days are short (and grey) and my fingers turn white and I have to wear twenty layers of clothes in order to walk from the parking lot to my office. The first wave of it usually happens in August when I notice that the sun is sitting lower in the sky and that the mornings are cooler than they used to be. I bounced back from it, though, because the September weather has been phenomenal and the September return to school/ballet/etc. has kept me too busy to really dwell on it.

Speaking of the weather, we’ve had weather far warmer than most Septembers past. Family Camp was even more fun, thanks to the heat and we’ve been outside/at the beach a lot. This past Saturday saw temperatures in the 30′s (Celsius)/in the high 80′s (Fahrenheit), so I packed up the kids and headed to the beach. On September 24th!

The weather forecast told us that the weather would turn on Sunday, and it did. It was still warm, but cloudy and windy. Monday saw dark storm clouds, rain, and cold, blustery winds. In years past, this would have sent me into a tailspin of sadness because SUMMER IS DEAD and WINTER IS COMING and I WILL NEVER SURVIVE. It would have included self-flagellation because I am an “upbeat” person and being moody is like I am LYING about WHO I AM.

Yesterday was more of a “Boy, I’d love to lay in bed reading but I have to work and then go to Boot Camp and I’ll feel better when I exercise.”

This is not to say that I don’t have those melancholy moments, or that I don’t expect them to happen again, but I’ve figured out a few things that help me to balance out.

• Exercise. I know that a lot of people hate to exercise but I love to run and to jump and to kick. If you’ve ever met me then you know that I am a little bit high-energy and have a little (or a lot of) extra energy to burn. It hasn’t cured my hand-talking (yet), but I keep hoping.
  • Vitamin D. I took this every day last year and I noticed a huge difference. I’ve replenished my stock for this winter.
  • Prayer. I know that many of you don’t believe what I do, but talking to God about what I’m struggling with gives me an inner peace.
  • “Sunshine.” I know that people recommend those lamps but I already get up at a really early hour to get the kids off to catch the school bus and get myself off to work. I would sneak in a tanning appointment once in awhile if I had time on my lunch hour. Don’t judge me.
  • Real sunshine to look forward to. Last Winter, it was Disneyland (The big reveal video here). This year, we’re hoping to join good friends of ours (our kids are good friends as well) in Hawaii. HAWAII. We’ve never been and I have always wanted to go and IT WOULD BE SO GREAT. Go, go, gadget crazy flight deals!
  • Skiing! Matthew and I took the kids to the local ski swap this past Sunday because we’ve decided to take up skiing as a family. I skied sporadically in my teens and twenties but Matthew has NEVER skied, nor have the kids. They are now all at an age where they can take lessons/join clubs and we’re excited to do this together. We walked in not knowing where to start and were introduced to the guy who owns the Bike Barn. He’s the same guy who owns the ski shop up at the ski hill. He took the time to size all of the kids’ feet and find them boots and skis. He found skis for Matthew and I (New! One season old! And thus, cheaper!) and recommended that we buy new boots for ourselves as we’d be wearing them for years. He was such a great, great guy and if you’re local, I recommend him and his company.

Throw in all of the canning and cooking I’ve been doing with our garden haul and afternoon family (and dog) walks we’ve started up now that we won’t pass out from the heat and I think that I’m going to be OK.

I know I will be.

comments

Comments:

1. Sharon September 27, 2011 6:04 am edit

Your life tips sounds great and doing all that with the family – it’s a healthy subscription for a happy life!

1. angella September 27, 2011 2:18 pm edit

Thanks! I think so too. :)

2. Sharon September 27, 2011 10:22 am edit

Having exciting things to look forward to always makes the winter months more bearable. I always try to plan lots of fun things throughout the winter so that I’m always looking forward to something awesome. SO excited for you about the Hawaii trip. You’ll have an amazing time – Hawaii is the most beautiful place on earth!

1. angella September 27, 2011 2:19 pm edit

I know that you’re a big fan! I hope we get to go. :)

3. Heidi F September 27, 2011 10:22 am edit

I love that lake pic – can I have it for church? :-) The colours in the water are amazing!

1. angella September 27, 2011 2:20 pm edit

Of course! I’ll email you the high-res photo when I get home.
      (I first typed “I’ll put it on Matthew’s USB stick”, but that sounded funny. ;) )

1. Heidi F September 29, 2011 9:38 am edit

Now, I totally lol’ed at that one! HA!!!!

4. Hannah September 27, 2011 1:45 pm edit

Great tips for making in through winter, I am sure they will help a lot! I can’t help but feel happy because we are well into Spring, with Summer on the way! At least you can live vicariously through my photos during your winter, as I have through yours during mine!

1. angella September 27, 2011 2:20 pm edit

Yay! Friends help friends survive winter!

5. Lisa September 27, 2011 2:52 pm edit

YAY! I know you’ll make the best of it! And we are always here for you when you need support. :) Sending sunshine and warmth from AZ!

1. angella September 29, 2011 3:15 pm edit

Thanks, lady! :)

6. Mrs. Wilson September 27, 2011 10:01 pm edit

You will be! And now you have something FUN to do in the snow! Looking forward to hearing about your ski adventures! (When people here tell me that they ski, I laugh and tell them to go to BC where there are MOUNTAINS.)

1. angella September 29, 2011 3:15 pm edit

I’m guessing they cross-country ski? ;)

7. Amazon freak-a-zoid September 28, 2011 10:49 am edit

isn’t it great when you figure out things to make life easier (or bearable?)
    as for us – cannot WAIT for winter, or what we call winter –
    it’s when the temperature actually drops BELOW 100 – we’ve heard that it means you can actually go outside and it doesn’t hurt!
    (sarcasm there, but serously – can. not. wait. for some temps in the 90′s! that would be such a relief!)
    oh – and to move up to your side of the world – that is us “figuring it out” for ourselves ;p

1. angella September 29, 2011 3:17 pm edit

I cannot believe how long it stays hot there! We’ll get a week or so over 100 and I want to spend it laying nekked on the basement floor. ;)

8. sizzle September 28, 2011 11:56 am edit

I think those are great ideas. I take Vitamin D too and it plus exercise has really helped. It sucks that my busiest time at work is Jan-Mar when it’s the grossest weather here. I’d much prefer to jet to Hawaii and get a sun-infusion!

1. angella September 29, 2011 3:18 pm edit

You should keep an eye out for a crazy deal like Kerri got! Four days in the sun…

9. Amber September 28, 2011 4:36 pm edit

I like the change in seasons actually…sunny days everyday get a bit bland after a while (although I live in Australia so that might explain it). Winter days that are crisp with clear skies are great but grey skies and rain can get depressing. What I also love about winter is that you can go skiing but since I don’t go skiing every year maybe it’s the novelty of it all that I love.

1. angella September 29, 2011 3:20 pm edit

Skiing IS fun, no matter how often you get to go.

As for the winter weather here, the grey can get people down. It doesn’t rain or snow much, thankfully, but sunny days are so much better somehow. Skiing will take us above the clouds. :)

10. Megan September 29, 2011 7:37 am edit

I feel the same way about the seasons. I love the warm weather, but can’t stand the cold. I try to enjoy the pleasant fall days, but I know the cold winter days are just around the corner. At least there are holidays to look forward to. I like the tips for surviving the winter. I’ve found exercise definitely helps out. I have never tried the Vitamin D idea, but I’m going to give it a shot this year.

1. angella September 29, 2011 3:21 pm edit

I’d heard about Vitamin D for a few years but hadn’t tried it. I really do think they made a big difference last year.

11. Danica September 29, 2011 4:31 pm edit

Beautiful pics, as always.
    And I concur on almost everything on your list. (You’re not going to catch me on the ski hill, no way, no how.)
    :-)

12. hillary October 5, 2011 12:54 pm edit

I hope you guys make it to Hawaii! I’ve never been but I hope to make it there one day.