Before we even started trying to get pregnant and have kids, Matthew and I would discuss the names that we wanted for our future children. If our first child was a boy, I wanted to name him Graham. My Step Mom was instrumental in my decision to become a Christian, her maiden name was Graham, and if I had not made that decision I would not be married to Matthew, so. It seemed perfect. He agreed.

If our first child was a girl, she would be named Naomi. We like traditional names and Naomi is both traditional and pretty, in our opinions.

As for that first child’s middle name, I share a middle name with my Mom and thought that I would share my middle name with my first daughter, should the opportunity arise. I suggested that our firstborn son share Matthew’s middle name, in keeping with that theme. He thought it was a great idea.

While waiting to see who came forth from our first full-term pregnancy, we would wither be meeting a Graham Jonathon or a Naomi Dian.

We met Graham Jonathon on December 29th, 2002.

During our second pregnancy, we struggled with boys’ names until the very end. We had our girl’s name lined up, but what were we going to call this baby should it be a boy? I suggested that the middle name be Matthew, so that if there were two boys, each boy would have one of his Dad’s names. Matthew’s response was a teary, “Really?” Yes, really. It was mere days before we had our next baby that we decided on a first name for a boy. We really liked Nathaniel but we (didn’t know if it was too long of a name, and) hate shortened names. We settled on Nathan.

Nathan Matthew was born on August 25th, 2004.

We had two babies, twenty months apart, and wondered if we might be done. Two kids so wee, with all of the feedings and diapers and naps and all of the insanity made us think that our first vision of Three Kids might be ridiculous. We knew it was not the time to take drastic actions and when Sir Nathan was around a year old I said that I thought that I might want to have one more baby. Just one more, boy or girl.

Matthew had been feeling the same way and so we embarked on a third pregnancy.

We were back in the names discussion and decided that Naomi was off the table for a girl; it sounded too close to Nathan. (I still mourn the loss of the name. I love it so.) What first name would we use if we should have a girl? We loved Emily but it was the number one name in our province which meant…nothing. We loved it and we would use it. Amen.

As for the name if we were to have a third boy, our discussions/debates were never ending. Matthew’s siblings kept having boys, too, which meant that traditional names that we loved were being knocked out of the running. At the eleventh hour we decided that if this baby were a boy, he would be named David Christopher.

Emily Dian was born on October 11th, 2006.

Names are important to me; this is obvious. I do not like to shorten names, except in certain circumstances. Graham is Graham. Nathan is Nathan. Emily is Emily. Matthew is Matthew (except at the church, where he is Mr. Matt). My name is Angella, Ange if you are a friend of mine, Angie if you have a death wish.

While thinking about this yesterday, I came to a startling realization. I know where my middle name comes from but I have no idea why my name has two L’s. I love it, it is me and it is the perfect fit. I cannot imagine going by any other name. I now need to find out how my name came to be.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah November 3, 2011 2:08 am edit

I think it will be exciting and fun for you to find out where your name came from! I love the story of mine, and I love telling my kids the stories about theirs. Make sure you write a new post when you do discover the story behind your name, and share it with us :-)

2. Kandi November 3, 2011 6:26 am edit

I love names too! My fiance and I have been talking about baby names for the past year and we haven’t even decided when we will begin to try for our first kid. I had no idea he would be so interested in discussing names!!
    I was named after a lady on a game show after my parents could not agree on a name! haha.

3. DawnA November 3, 2011 8:44 am edit

Ms. Emily and I share a birthday. Our son is James and we’ve never called him Jim, Jimmy or Jamie. Although, when he was in school all three shortened names were used.

4. C @ Kid Things November 3, 2011 8:59 am edit

I was never a name shortener, either, before I had my daughter. Now her nickname might as well be her real name as often as we use it. My sons, though, they go by their name and I’ve never had a nickname.

5. Kristabella November 3, 2011 9:11 am edit

The tie! I DIE! So adorable!

(Sorry, I did read the post, but gah! So cute!)

6. Kami November 3, 2011 9:24 am edit

Love the family photo, what a great looking family!
    I love the story of how you selected your names, I always find it facinating and it makes the names all that much more meaningful.

7. Tia November 3, 2011 10:36 am edit

Funny to me that you don’t like shortening names! While I like my fairly unique name, I’ve always disliked that it’s really hard to make nicknames with! Nicknames seem so cute and show that you really like someone (I have no idea why I think this!) so I feel a little left out.

8. Amanda Brown November 3, 2011 12:02 pm edit

Beautiful family photo, Angie. :)

9. Amanda Brown November 3, 2011 12:03 pm edit

*ducks to dodge flaming arrow of rage*

10. Procrastamom November 3, 2011 12:15 pm edit

I actually ended up with two L’s in my middle name – Hellen – because they spelled it wrong on the birth certificate and my Mom didn’t want to bother with changing it. I like it – it makes me a little more original.

Love the stories behind people’s names :)

11. Mrs. Wilson November 3, 2011 1:38 pm edit

I absolutely love naming stories. (And I really like your kids’ names.) I hope you can find out how/why you were named!

12. heidikins November 3, 2011 1:53 pm edit

If I ever have a son, I already have his name picked out. It’s my maternal grandfather’s name, William Doxey, and he will go by Doxey. I love it.

Also, Graham is a family name for me as well and I have a few cousins who have named their boys Graham, love it!

xox

13. Danica November 3, 2011 8:45 pm edit

Good luck on your search. That would be interesting to know.

Adora – worship – we love God.
    Grace – God loves us.

Awesomesauce.

14. Sizzle November 4, 2011 8:07 am edit

Mr. Darcy is the opposite of you. He likes names that can be shortened. Not that we are pregnant but we’ve had the naming discussion and it’s become clear he prefers girls names that can be shortened into a boy-sounding name (much like my real name). I prefer last names as first names or names that have deep meaning to us/our family. We have yet to find a boy name we can agree on though we do have a couple of girl names. Here’s hoping if we ever do get pregnant it’s a girl? JK.

I love hearing the story behind a person’s name.

15. Ashley November 4, 2011 11:29 am edit

I am totally with you on shortened names! While I do shorten our girls’ names, because it’s terms of endearment, and I have a million nicknames for them (because everyone calls their daughter Fred). But if someone shortens my name I start thinking about how I can remove each of their nose hairs, one at a time.

ps. LOVE the name Naomi!

16. hillary November 4, 2011 11:38 am edit

My name has two L’s because my dad was the one who filled out the birth registration! I can’t imagine being Hilary with one L though, so it worked out :)