As I have mentioned more times than you probably care about, I’m up to my eyeballs with, well, everything. There’s been a few choice pieces of ridiculousness that I’d love to vent about but that would probably hurt somebody’s feelings and, well,  that’s no good. Since I can’t rant/vent, I’m going to focus on The Good because it is far more enjoyable than simmering in my own grumpy juice.

Without further adieu, things that make me smile:

Father’s Day was yesterday, and I linked to it on both Facebook and Twitter, but if you haven’t watched this video, you must.

Speaking of Father’s Day, Matthew asked the Sunday School kids to finish “My Dad…” and then friends of ours turned that into a wrapper for a Hershey chocolate bar. The church kids handed them out to all of the men (Dads or not) in the service.

My brother is getting married July 2nd and last weekend I took his fiance to MAC as her shower present and then took (belated) engagement photos of them. I can’t wait to finish editing them and to share them with the lovebirds and you guys.

Emily, from the bathroom, with her toy phone: “Mom! Did you know that you can poop and be on your phone at the same time?” I plead the 5th.

I’ve kept up my running habit ever since the 10K. My other sister-in-law suggested us three do a half marathon and, well, no. I just don’t have the time to train. We do have plans for more 10K’s and I hope to break an hour for my running time. In the meantime, I find that running 5K fits in well with my lunch hour and some days (like on Sunday) I run longer because it feels good. (Twenty-year-old me is wondering WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?)

My husband. How loving he is with our kids makes him even hotter than his physical attributes.

We leave for Portland/Cannon Beach on July 18th. Not only have we found a house/dog sitter (Hurrah!) but I’m excited that we are GOING ON VACATION. I haven’t read a book in far too long (Obviously) but will have hours (and hours) of driving time and then beach time and, oh. I CAN’T WAIT. Recommendations more than welcome, if you can help a girl out. I plan to hit the used book store before we go and then Powell’s in Portland. (Yay!)

How about you guys? What’s making you happy? Your happy makes me happy.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah June 21, 2011 1:20 am edit

Loving your list of “happy”. I think those chocolate bar wrappers are too cute! I’m always on the look out for cool things to do for our special Mothers and Fathers Day services, so may have to steal that one! And the video. I saw it on a few people’s FB pages yesterday. Very funny.

What makes me happy right now?
    1. I love my physiotherapist. Seriously, he is very good at what he does and as a result my ankle is improving lots every day. Yay!!
    2. I didn’t have to work today and it was bliss just pottering around doing errands and relaxing. Don’t get to do that much.
    3. I am excited to have booked our upcoming holiday to Australia in November – whoop whoop!

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:42 pm edit

Hooray! :)

2. K June 21, 2011 5:41 am edit

Loving this list! Emily cracks me up.
    I’m loving that you are enjoying running and sticking with running some longer distance. Who knows, maybe someday you’ll have time to train for a half marathon. :)

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:43 pm edit

MAYBE. I haven’t ruled it out. ;)

3. ememby June 21, 2011 7:50 am edit

Love this this… sometimes it’s nice to focus on the good, makes the bad a little less powerful!

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:43 pm edit

Amen!

4. Mrs. Wilson June 21, 2011 8:13 am edit

The fact that Preston slept 10 hours straight last night. And the fact that the younger two kids and I get to go with Noah to Regina later this week because I haven’t been there since October and I miss my friends there.

Oh, and my breast pump. ;)

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:44 pm edit

He slept for TEN HOURS? He really is a Superbaby.

5. JoL - Amazon freak-a-zoid June 21, 2011 9:08 am edit

Way to keep up w the running – very impressive! I’ve been searching for my running mojo and have ahd little success; but I am training for the Komen 3-Day….. that still counts, right?

YAY for vacation & Cannon Beach!
    And hubs and I dedicate an entire day just to Powell’s everytime we visit PDX – Powell’s might possibly be the best place on earth :)

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:45 pm edit

It IS the best place on earth!

Komen 3-Day…sounds intriguing. What is it?

6. Sizzle June 21, 2011 9:48 am edit

What a great idea Matthew had for the candy bars. So sweet. (Pun intended.) I find that focusing on the good in my life makes the bad kind of fade away. Re-prioritizes my mind, so to speak. Cannon Beach! I would be counting down the days too. Love it there.

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:46 pm edit

It’s one of my Happy Places, too.

You are SO GOOD at focusing on the, well, good. :)

7. Tamara June 21, 2011 11:05 am edit

Have you read Pillars of the Earth? It’s a big ol’ fat 980 pages, but it’s a great mix of juicy romance novel and historical fiction.

I am so jealous of your Cannon Beach vacation, one of my favorite places on earth!

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:47 pm edit

Isn’t it the greatest? I can’t believe that I’d never been there until two years ago.

Off to check out Pillars of the Earth…

8. Danica June 21, 2011 11:06 am edit

If I may be grumpy for a moment, Portland is the place I’m not going any more, and Powells is one of the things I’ve never encountered that I was oh so looking forward to doing. So have a ton of fun on my behalf. (Pout)

How do you fit a 5k into your lunch hour? Don’t you come back to the office a sweaty mess? I’m really curious. What’s your secret?

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:50 pm edit

I meant to email you to ask for the details of the conference you missed. Aw, man. I’m even MORE sorry you missed it. BOO.

As for running on my lunch hour, I DO come back to the office a sweaty mess. Thankfully, there are showers in the bathrooms downstairs. I come out squeaky clean! :)

9. Kathryn June 21, 2011 11:44 am edit

I think it’s great that you’re focusing on the happy – I find that SO HARD TO DO when I’m stressed or grumpy. I become a whiny mess of pouty faces, attention-nabbing, and overall negativity, so kudos to you!

As for a book, I would recommend anything by Francine Rivers! She is probably my new favourite author (historical Christian fiction). Her books are beautifully written, rich in character, and incredibly moving.

Sunshine and my new fitness and kitties make me happy! Oh, the kitties :)

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:53 pm edit

Yay, kitties!

I LOVE Francine Rivers, but haven’t read her in years. (I got off of the reading track for awhile. Three kids in four years, etc.) If she has new stuff, I’m all over it. :)

10. Crystal June 21, 2011 2:37 pm edit

“The Help” by Kathryn Stockett is a great read. I gobbled it up in a weekend.

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:55 pm edit

I read that last year and LOVED IT. Anything else you recommend? I read the Hunger Games trilogy over the Christmas holiday and HIGHLY recommend them.

11. hillary June 21, 2011 4:04 pm edit

4 weeks until my due date. 4 weeks until these wee little feetsies untangle themselves from my ribs. My happy is counting down the days.

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:56 pm edit

4 weeks! YAY! I can’t wait to meet Willie. :)

12. kirida June 21, 2011 4:10 pm edit

I have never been to Cannon Beach but everytime I see pictures, I am full of want! My kiddos have been making me super happy and that carries me through. Can’t wait to see you in San Diego! That’s a super bonus :)

1. angella June 21, 2011 4:58 pm edit

Yes! DUDE. That’s only, like SIX WEEKS AWAY.

Also! You live SO CLOSE to Cannon Beach. I think a day trip is in order. Or an overnighter. :)

13. Kate June 23, 2011 9:20 pm edit

Book recommendations? Happy to help! A great vacay read might be
    Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard. It is full of recipes, so you might find yourself hungry the whole time you’re reading, but it’s a nice blend of substance and light-heartedness.

14. Rhi June 23, 2011 9:26 pm edit

I need to make a happy list. I’m feeling down in the dumps (HORMONES) and it might be good to refer back to on occasion.

So, here goes…
    - strawberries from my garden
    - driving with the sunroof open (FINALLY!)
    - imagining what my baby will look like
    - and my super sweet, patient and understanding husband

15. Lynne June 28, 2011 3:46 pm edit

I love books! Here are my recommendations:

Shadow of the Wind (can’t put it down!)
    Unbroken (a must read for everyone, in my opinion)
    Anything by Jennifer Lancaster
    City of Thieves
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which you probably already read but thought I’d throw out there)
    The Glass Castle (loved it!)

I’ll stop there. :) I love Portland & the coast. Enjoy!