As most of you know (Or do you?), I am going to the BlogHer conference in San Francisco this July. Which would be…NEXT MONTH.

Last June, I met Kristin for the first time. She told me about a contest that was happening in which I could win a trip for two to BlogHer ’07. I designed a Scrapblog, and asked everyone to click. Each and every click equaled one entry into the contest.

My friend Brenda at Secret Agent Josephine asked her readers to click. My other friend Leah at A Girl And A Boy asked her readers to click. We clicked, and we clicked, AND WE CLICKED.

The contest deadline came and…I did not win. I used a bunch of photos of my kids making faces to parlay my disappointment. (CLICK ON THE LINK. You won’t be sorry. Their expressions crack me up a year later.)

At first? I would not let the dream die. There was an opportunity to volunteer, so I thought I might still go. Common friends introduced me to Heather B., who needed a roommate. Alas, the airfare at the last minute would have cost me my firstborn child. While tempting, I decided to stay home. I vowed, however, that next year (THIS YEAR), I would BE THERE.

The original plan was to travel and room with my friend Amanda. She had to then go and get herself knocked up again, so I was on my own. Miss Heather B. and I thought that fate had decided to allow us round 2, and we are betrothed to be roommates come July.

I have been giddy beyond all get-out that six weeks from today? I will be attending my very first BlogHer conference. Woo!

I have been promoting it as much as I can, and talking to blog buddies about it. I had asked one such friend if she was coming and she gave me an honest answer. She told me that she did not feel that she was a “big” blogger (Um, HI!) and was not sure she would fit in. I told her to stop fretting and assured her that all would be fine.

I hit “send” and then came to this startling conclusion: HOW do I know it will be fine? I HAVE NEVER BEEN.

While chatting with Heather B. on IM the other day we were laughing at the fact that we would be “sleeping together”, even though we had never me. Ha!

Ha…ha…ha?

Add to the fact that I have been having a conversation along a common theme with casual acquaintances (teachers, parents in the park, etc.) as of late. With the end of the school year coming up, we get to the topic of summer plans. We chat about days at the beach and basking in the sun. I ask them if they are going anywhere and I hear about trips planned to go camping and such. Then the conversations turns to my plans.

I tell them that I am going to San Francisco. For five days. ALONE. Then they ask that clutch question.

THEM: “Wow! What are you going there for?”

ME: “An, um, blogging convention”.

**Crickets**

Really LOUD crickets.

I *think* it will be fine. The only “blogging” friend I have met before is Kristin (twice now) and she is even more amazing than I could have ever expected. Really. She is like liquid sunshine, wrapped in an aura of wonder. And also? She’s hot.

Everyone else? I have never met. What if they are WACKOS? What if they think I am a wacko (I AM, but STILL)? What if I do not recognize someone based on their Flickr/Twitter thumbnail and they think I am a big snob? I am not a snob! I am just clueless all most of the time!

I am pretty sure it will be awesome.

Right?

I sure hope so, because SAJ designed me these sweet cards to hand out while I attend the conference.

My Bling

I will give you one, if you will be there.

Unless you think I am a wacko.

Then I will sit in the corner counting my pretty cards and pretending I am cool.  I do have a great imagination, you know.

comments

Comments:

1. Missy June 6, 2008 12:59 am edit

I haven’t told anyone that I’m going for a blogging convention. I’m not sure how to explain it, or deal with the crickets.

And I’ve been slightly freaking about meeting people I’ve only met online. Not to mention flying halfway around the world for this thing.

But in the end, I always come back to one conclusion: it will be awesome. Everyone is nervous, everyone is there to meet people. It’s all good.

Missy’s last blog post..Letter To My Body

2. Karla June 6, 2008 3:50 am edit

Firstly, your description of Kristin in bang on. She is all sorts of awesome, and totally a gorgeous soul – inside and out.

Secondly, that email you are referring to sounds eerily familliar. ;-)

Karla’s last blog post..Unhip and unchic in Las Vegas

3. Hannah June 6, 2008 3:59 am edit

I’m sure you’ll have a great time! I wish I could come … but it’s a little too far. The airfare would cost me BOTH my children ;-)

Hannah’s last blog post..French-Style Lamb Shanks

4. witchypoo June 6, 2008 5:23 am edit

I doubt I’ll ever get to go as my work schedule is totally weekended up in summer. The week? Travelling to the next venue.

witchypoo’s last blog post..The Queen

5. ali June 6, 2008 5:39 am edit

holy crap on a stick…now i need to get business cards??!?!?! i’m so ill-prepared for this whole adventure.

but….i’m SO excited to meet you!!!!

6. gorillabuns June 6, 2008 6:52 am edit

You’ll have a wonderful time and HeatherB is the bomb!

7. GymBrat June 6, 2008 6:58 am edit

hope you have am AWESOME time- and a safe trip! sounds like tons of fun. :)

GymBrat’s last blog post..some training progress:

8. She Likes Purple June 6, 2008 7:07 am edit

Just FYI, I’m a total wacko. But I am SO EXCITED to meet you! I’m going to post a lot of pictures between now and then so you won’t have trouble spotting me ;)

xoxo

She Likes Purple’s last blog post..Dragging Along

9. Kristabella June 6, 2008 7:20 am edit

I was just having the business card discussion yesterday with another blogger! And I’m freaking out because mine will not be cool and then everyone will be all “her business cards suck! We will not go visit her blog!”

I’m so excited to go. But I also am freaking out because, seriously, do people get mad if you don’t recognize them? Sometimes I don’t recognize MYSELF in the mirror.

Maybe I’ll just pin Bacon to my shirt. That will make it easier.

SO EXCITED TO MEET YOU!

Kristabella’s last blog post..I’ve Haven’t Complained About The Heat In Awhile

10. sizzle June 6, 2008 7:55 am edit

I just realized that we need these cards to hand out. I am a complete newbie at this and it momentarily sent me into a panic.

I totally feel not cool enough to be going but whatever, I have a job to do and it will hopefully be a great time.

Ok, I am nervous. I admit it.

sizzle’s last blog post..Just Call Me Constance

11. Jill - GlossyVeneer June 6, 2008 7:55 am edit

Oh dear… the card thing! I’ve completely spaced that aspect. Guess I should get some of those, huh? Can’t wait to see you there!

Jill – GlossyVeneer’s last blog post..Oh My!

12. Kami June 6, 2008 8:06 am edit

You will have a great time! And no one will think you are a wacko… I can vouch for that having thought you were wonderful the first time I met you.

:-)

The cards are gorgeous too, you are going to rock BlogHer ;-)

Kami’s last blog post..First Troll Alert

13. Nicole June 6, 2008 8:24 am edit

I’m delurking … finally. I’m always a little shy about doing it. Not sure why since I’m not a shy person, but whatever. Here I am and I’m doing it because the world is too small.

I found you via my cousin Jer’s blog a few months back. When I read your “about me” section I clicked on something that linked me to your friend Karen who when I got to her blog she had a picture of one of my dearest friends Kim! Talk about SMALL!

Then today when you mentioned Kristin and blogging I thought, “it’s a longshot”. NO! No, it’s NOT a longshot. I worked with Kristin at a radio station here in Calgary that I’m still at before she moved to BlogHer. BIZARRE! She is one of the most lovely people I’ve ever worked with.

All that to say, I like your blog. And your pics are great.

Talk about “6″ degrees of separation!

14. Amanda Brown June 6, 2008 8:27 am edit

Snazzy cards! I should make up cards for you to hand out on my behalf that read, “I couldn’t get health insurance. See you next year, suckas!”

Amanda Brown’s last blog post..Worth the Weight

15. Krisin June 6, 2008 8:40 am edit

First of all, you should be my personal PR manager, Angella. Looking forward to meeting you for a third time.

Second of all, holy shit, hi Nicole. That’s a little weird. Don’t tell Freeman about my blog, hmkay?

Krisin’s last blog post..How to live

16. Elizabeth June 6, 2008 8:41 am edit

Oh, fun!
    Love the cards. Nice work, once again, SAJ!

Elizabeth’s last blog post..The Voice Behind

17. Jen June 6, 2008 8:50 am edit

I do think you are wacko, but I’d still like to meet you … IF I was going to be there. I wish I was! That would be fun! Next year … when I’m not moving at the same time.

The cards are WONDERFUL!

Jen’s last blog post..My Daughter the Author, My Daughter the Monster

18. Jen June 6, 2008 8:51 am edit

ps. and it is kind of funny talking to real live friends who have no idea about the blogging world … they think I’m CRAZY if I mention something that a blog friend wrote … they roll their eyes and call me a nerd (which I am, but that’s not the point).

Jen’s last blog post..My Daughter the Author, My Daughter the Monster

19. Sharon June 6, 2008 9:03 am edit

I’m not going to BlogHer, since I’m too new to the blogging world, and feel like my blog is a little too small to be involved in something like that. It sounds so cool, though! Maybe in a few years I’ll check it out…

When I talk about some of my friends that I’ve met thru the internet, I get the crickets too. Funny that you should write about this today, as my post for today is along the same lines. :)

Sharon’s last blog post..Internet relationships

20. metalia June 6, 2008 10:28 am edit

You’re going to have a GREAT time, and Heather is the best. I’m just bummed I’m not gonna meet you this year. :(

metalia’s last blog post..Two

21. Rhi June 6, 2008 12:04 pm edit

I won’t think you’re a wacko, if you promise to not think I’m a wacko (except, I’m a total wacko).

Rhi’s last blog post..Friday Bullets

22. The Over-Thinker June 6, 2008 12:50 pm edit

All I can say is that I’m going to be living vicariously through you and your photos of BlogHer ’08. But next year it’s all BlogHer “HOLYMOLEYI’MACTUALLYGOING” ’09 BABY!!!

I love the business cards :) How cool is SAJ for doing that?

The Over-Thinker’s last blog post..Monkey See, Monkey Do, I love Vegas, How ‘Bout You?

23. LVGurl June 6, 2008 2:33 pm edit

I know it was a year ago, and I understand that I need to let it go, but… I’m still bitter that your scrapblog didn’t win you a free trip to BlogHer ’07!

*sigh*

I rarely tell my “normal” friends about my blog. Because I get this response (as I did a couple weeks ago, while visiting my oldest friend Katie in SF. Before I got to her place, I met blogger VDog in Berkeley):

The minute I get out of my car

K: “Now, WHO did you meet for breakfast?”

M: “My friend Victoria.”

K: “How do you know her again? Did you meet her ONLINE??”

Mind you, Katie knows that I have a blog, and she even reads it. But the whole concept of connecting with other bloggers to her… is “meeting people online.” ;)

You’re going to have a great time! I’m from Northern California, I love it there. Oh yes I do. You will too.

LVGurl’s last blog post..Still on a break, but?

24. Loralee June 6, 2008 3:40 pm edit

I am freaking out about the same things and I have met a lot of bloggity people!

Here is the thing…They are usually a lot like their blogs. And if they aren’t a lot like their blogs, they are still dang awesome. I have only had one icky blogging in person experience but I KNEW that would be the case beforehand so it doesn’t really count!

You are going to be absolutely adored at BlogHer, I know it. I can’t wait to meet you. I know we’re going to have a total blast.

Loralee’s last blog post..Sideblog:Blogging business cards for BlogHer

25. slynnro June 6, 2008 5:41 pm edit

I’m totally freaking out about how soon this is. I need to plan my wardrobe! Also! Don’t know anyone! SCARED.

slynnro’s last blog post..Random Shit Friday

26. Michele June 6, 2008 10:40 pm edit

I LOVE those business cards! You’re sure to gather up some business! I can only imagine how fun it would be to meet up with all your “online” friends!!! It’s sure to be a blast!

27. Heather B. June 7, 2008 7:47 am edit

Wait until you meet me and you find out how incredibly boring I am and that I snore. Then we’ll see how thrilled you are.

Also, purchasing my tickets as we speak.

Heather B.’s last blog post..For now

28. Kerri Anne June 7, 2008 8:13 pm edit

You are my favorite wacko. And I’m hereby giving you ample warning that you are most likely not escaping a bear hug when first we “meet.” Potentially a running across the room to hug you bear hug. (You can warn your roommate that she’s in for one, too.)

Kerri Anne’s last blog post..Rose-Colored Everything

29. Leah June 9, 2008 3:39 pm edit

1. I tell people I’m going to a writers’ conference. It’s kind of true, and it makes me sound cool and accomplished instead of like some kind of girly nerdfreak.

2. BlogHer is definitely not about big blogs AT ALL. In some ways, it’s not even really about blogs and blogging–it’s about meeting all of your online friends in one convenient location! Oh, and wearing cute shoes.

3. I have never taken business cards to the conference, and I have never regretted it. Sure, I’ve felt like kind of a dip when other people give me theirs and I have nothing in return, but I also think it gets a little creepy when it seems like people are peddling their blogs like products. Exposure is good, but it’s not for everyone, and I prefer that the people I meet at the conference visit my blog a week later because they actually remember ME, not because they’re going through their stack of cards and leaving one comment for every card they have, just to be polite. It’s a nice thought, yes, but not really my style…

4. HeatherB is NOT boring although, yeah, if she says she snores, she probably does. (LOVE YOU, HEATHER!)

30. Elaine June 9, 2008 7:29 pm edit

That’s really cool that you are going to BlogHer. And, you have such cool cards to take with you!!

I can’t wait to hear about it. I look forward to tyring to go next year.

Elaine’s last blog post..BSM – Perfectly Imperfect