A few weeks ago a friend (who also has three children, all teenagers) told me that whenever she reads my site she gets the feeling that I have it all together. (Regarding parenting, I’m assuming. We all know that I’ve been pretty open with the struggles that I’ve been dealing with personally). She said that she’d then read Amanda’s posts and think, “That is what I remember experiencing.”

I laughed and told her that I, too, remember those crazy days when I had three kids under the age of four. I was sleep-deprived; short-tempered and wondering what on Earth I had gotten myself into. There is post upon post of me ranting and venting and sobbing into my Diet Coke. Babies are the hardest. They fuss, they cry, they (Emily) bite their friends, yet have no words with which to tell you what is going on in their wee little heads.

The crying is the worst. Are they tired? Hungry? Sick? Teething, yet again? Seriously. How many teeth does a kid really need?

I’d hate to come across as though I have it all figured out now that my children are so old. You know, with them being three, five and (almost) seven. It’s not as though this stage doesn’t have its share of challenges.

Like when Graham spent an entire five minutes arguing with me about where Emily was born. He kept telling me that she was born here in Summerland because he “remembered.” Dude. You weren’t even four at the time and I am the one who pushed her out of my hoo-ha. It happened in Penticton, and I know this for a fact because there were no drugs involved. I was fully coherent for the entire experience (Yes, REALLY) and I know which hospital I birthed in. There is also the fact that Summerland hasn’t had a maternity ward since before any of my kids were born. He, however, is still not convinced.

There are times when Nathan pulls one of his classic “WTF?” moves and we ask him why he did it, only to get the response that we fully expect from him: “I don’t know.” Don’t even get me started on the battles we stage to get that kid to eat anything other than bread and butter.

Then there is Miss Emily, who channels her inner Diva on a regular basis. She crosses her arms, sticks out her bottom lip, brings out The Scowl and murmurs an audible “Harrumph.”

We’re not all sunshine and daisies over here. At least not all of the time.

Aside from these regular bumps in the parenting road, our days are pretty fantastic. Do you want to know why?

My children are wicked.

Not in the watch-out-because-they-might-hurt-you way, but in the holy-crap-they-might-blow-your-mind way.

I spend the bulk of my days amazed by their wit, marveling at their intelligence (Even Nathan! He’s “Exceeding” at Science and Math!) and laughing at their quirkiness. We’ve fallen into a pretty awesome groove where my kids can tell me their hopes and fears, crack jokes that are funny even if (and especially because) they make no sense, and sometimes rip a big fart and know that we’ll all laugh (Potty humor is funny. Yo.)

Instead of praying that I’ll simply make it through the day, I’m praying that our days will stay as awesome as they are now. I like where we are, relationally. I like my kids, individually. I like our lives together, immensely.

I said it above but it bears repeating again.

My children are wicked.

Wicked

comments

Comments:

1. Angie December 10, 2009 1:00 am edit

Love this post! Adorable picture!

1. angella December 10, 2009 9:42 pm edit

Thank you. :) I just had that photo blown up and placed it on the mantle above the fireplace.

2. kakaty December 10, 2009 7:11 am edit

I think your Miss Emily and my Miss M should have a Diva-off. Becuase that arms-crossed-pouty-liped “harrumph” is one of the the funniest things my kid does. Someday I’ll be ready to snap a picture when she does it.

1. angella December 10, 2009 9:43 pm edit

I’ll tray to catch it too. We can compare notes. Or, photos.

3. Kami's Khlopchyk December 10, 2009 8:29 am edit

I have the same types of arguments with Jack. It’s a bit scary that they already challenge our knowledge, no?

But I agree, all that stuff doesn’t matter, it’s the amazing part that does. Great post!
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..Snow for Christmas =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 9:58 pm edit

Thanks!

And OH the debates we have. It starts off funny, and then I get frustrated. So many examples of where I KNOW the answer and he still argues with me.

4. ali December 10, 2009 8:31 am edit

you are a lucky, lucky lady.
    I WISH my kids were that wicked all the time. heh.
    .-= ali´s last blog ..Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We? =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 9:59 pm edit

From what I’ve read and heard, your kids are pretty wicked. ;)

5. Sizzle December 10, 2009 8:52 am edit

They sure are wicked. Wicked CUTE.
    .-= Sizzle´s last blog ..Up Date =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:02 pm edit

I agree. What? It’s the truth.

6. Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire December 10, 2009 8:59 am edit

Love this post!

Also my response to those who think I have it all together (I know, I am shocked that people actually think I have it all together-apparently they don’t read my blog) is to chuckle and tell them they just made my day.

Love the photos of the kids as well. So much love!
    .-= Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..And then you turned fifteen =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:03 pm edit

I really do laugh. Because seriously? SO DO NOT HAVE IT TOGETHER.

7. Jess December 10, 2009 9:20 am edit

Your children are awesome. Some of the posts you write about how awesome your kids are as they get older are big contributing factors to my excitement about having not just babies but kids of all ages someday.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:04 pm edit

From what I know of you, Jess, you are going to be a wicked Mom one day.

8. Laura December 10, 2009 9:32 am edit

It really is great to follow blogs of people who speak so openly about their kids and the challenges and joys of raising them. I’m a few years from starting a family myself, but reading about how you struggled and made it through gives me inspiration, hope and even excitement for when it is my turn. And from the stories and photos you have posted, I think we all agree that your kids are pretty wicked. :)
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Approaching Mid Twenties =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:04 pm edit

Thanks, Laura. I mean it.

9. Danica December 10, 2009 9:40 am edit

Mine are now 5 and 7 and I must declare that this stage of parenting is about ten kazillion times better than the baby and toddler stage.

Check back with me in about ten years.
    .-= Danica´s last blog ..Coming Soon to a Blog Near You =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:07 pm edit

You and me both.

10. JenniferB December 10, 2009 9:59 am edit

OH, I am so with you! I love and adore my kids — but hate the eyerolls of doom, the being corrected by my 8 year old because she “knows better than [me]” yet again, the fighting over which corner of the couch they get to sit at (there are 2 of them, go figure), etc. However, these 2 girls are also so compassionate, so funny, quirky, loving, encouraging, positive, intelligent, joyful, and just all around great human beings — I love being their mother! Thanks for your fab picture too — your kids smashed up in a love hug/wrestle is so cute!

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:07 pm edit

See? You get this! I love that.

11. Elaine December 10, 2009 12:18 pm edit

You “got” me with the title of this one. I love my baby but I kinda can’t wait to be where you are now… :)

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:08 pm edit

You’ll be there before you know it. Cliche, yes, but true.

12. OMSH December 10, 2009 12:43 pm edit

Oh see, you got me from Facebook on this one; needed to find out why your kids were so wicked. You know, because MINE ARE PERFECT.

Sweet post – great photo.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:13 pm edit

Thanks, you.

I’ve been voting for Emelie. I hope she wins!

13. Coach J December 10, 2009 4:01 pm edit

What a brood. I’m hoping mine will turn out wicked in their own little ways.
    .-= Coach J´s last blog ..YES Reservations. Oh yes… =-.

1. angella December 10, 2009 10:13 pm edit

I’m sure they will. :)

14. Hannah December 10, 2009 7:59 pm edit

Your kids are awesome! I think I know exactly where you’re coming from. You want your blog to be a generally happy place, so don’t usually bore your readers with tales of woe regarding something one of your offspring has done that sent you spiralling … I’m the same. I don’t think I “sugar coat” things, but I do focus on the good stuff, the positive stuff, the happy stuff … because one day my kids will read my blog, and I want them to remember those things. Sure, I want them to know that I’m human and have “off” days, AS DO THEY, but it’s just not the focus. So yeah, I get this post!
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..Thoughts =-.

15. Moose December 10, 2009 11:36 pm edit

Wicked, and oh so cute.

16. hillary December 11, 2009 12:11 am edit

awesome photo! I love the twinkle in Emily’s eye … the inner diva shines through.
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..And I Get What I Want My Name Is My Credit Card Don’t Try To Hate Me Because I Am So Popular =-.

17. Jim December 12, 2009 3:36 pm edit

I often have the same sentiments about my kids, but aren’t they just the best thing that has ever happened? They look like a great group of kids and I applaud your openness in discussing your parenting and personal things. It helps to know that others go through similar things.
    .-= Jim´s last blog ..Top Dance Songs =-.