As I mentioned the other day, I spent last weekend flying solo while Matthew went up to a local mountain range to go snowmobiling with his best buddies.

I love to give him the chance to get away to balance out my solo excursions and my return to full-time employment. Daddy Daycare is demanding what with the shuttling to and from school, the laundry, the grocery shopping, the meals to cook, the house to clean…you all know the drill. He’s also working part-time in between dealing with everything else and (more than) deserved a rest. If you can call maneuvering a big beastly machine through snow drifts a rest, that is.

In addition to being happy that he gets a break, I wait in anticipation for him to arrive home and hand over my point-and-shoot camera. He has no desire to learn how to use the 7D but has such an incredible eye that I’m always excited to see what he does with the Powershot. I do my (tiny) part on the editing side but he gets full credit for the shots taken.

It almost makes me want to embrace winter and take up snowmobiling. Almost.

As for me, I’m still happy but really feeling the weight of life on my shoulders. This week marks the first week that I need to work overtime to compensate for the crunch of tax season. Instead of wiping out my entire Saturday, I’ve chosen to arrive at work an hour early each weekday so that I can pull a shorter day on the weekend. This sees me rising for the day shortly after five o’clock in the AM. It’s only (Only!) for nine weeks but I’m only (Only!) four days in and already feeling that come April 30th I’ll be rocking a look that closely resembles that of a Zombie. I’d rather be a Vampire, though, because then I would not only not need sleep, I would be all sparkly and ethereal.

There’s also all of the life commitments and extra-curricular activities that start piling on now that spring is ready to burst. If they could wait until May 1st, it would be fantastic, but it appears that the world does not revolve around me. Good to know.

We’ve been hammering out the logistics and will make it work…somehow. I just hate that feeling of running from dawn until dusk with nary a moment to sit and just breathe.

This is why I am sitting here typing after the kids are in bed. Those photos have been edited and waiting for me to share them since Sunday and I’ve been aching to do so. Playing with photos and writing it out makes me feel like the pendulum of my life is swinging a little bit back to the center.

Besides. How can you look at the beauty of nature and not feel your soul do a big, peaceful sigh?

comments

Comments:

1. K March 4, 2010 5:59 am edit

Looks like Honey had a great weekend! I would love to go out on a snow mobile adventure so long as I can escape the snow after the weekend. I’m so ready for summer.

2. Kami's Khlopchyk March 4, 2010 8:14 am edit

WOW! I have forgotten the beauty of the Rockies. It’s been too long. Matthew does have a stellar eye, those shots are amazing.

Hang in there, my friend, tax season sucks! I, myself have only had to suffer through 3 weeks of one, just enough to get my tax time but that was MORE than enough for this pansy.
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..Embracing (sort of) Winter =-.

3. C @ Kid Things March 4, 2010 8:40 am edit

It looks… cold. Beautiful, but cold.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Thank God for Google =-.

4. LauraRad March 4, 2010 8:47 am edit

WOW, those photos are seriously fantastic! I wish I could take a little of the photo enthusiasm your husband has and transfer it to mine. While he’s 10000% enthusiastic about me and my photography, he has about a 10% desire to do it himself. He tried to shoot Manual wayyyy before he was ready and immediately got discouraged. [I wonder why?? All the photos were totally black or white! I tried to explain but it fell on closed ears haha...] I should try to inspire him again with the P&S.

Hang in there with all the craziness that surrounds life this time of year! I’m glad you still take the time to post; we’d all really miss you if you were away for too long!
    .-= LauraRad´s last blog ..Signs of Spring =-.

5. Hilda March 4, 2010 9:04 am edit

yah but if you were a vampire you’d have to deal with that constant desire to drink everyone else’s blood, and that would get kind of annoying.
    .-= Hilda´s last blog ..more curtains =-.

6. Sharon March 4, 2010 9:19 am edit

Wow – those are INCREDIBLE photos! Even though I detest winter with every fibre of my being, you can’t deny that you live in a beautiful, beautiful area.
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..Olympic Event #3 – Men’s 10,000m Speed Skating Final =-.

7. Kristabella March 4, 2010 9:20 am edit

Those photos make me even want winter to stick around! They are great!

I think that everyone starts to get a lot busier this time of year. You know, it’s like waking up after hibernation! :)

Hang in there! You’ll get through it! You always do because you’re a rock star!
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..A Small Treat =-.

8. Kerri Anne March 4, 2010 10:00 am edit

Oooh, yes! That fifth one is GORGEOUS. I wouldn’t mind snowmobiling (albeit at a bunny’s pace) if those views were waiting for me on the other side.

And keep hanging in, babe! xoxo
    .-= Kerri Anne´s last blog ..My Heart Is A Nautical-Themed Pashmina Afghan =-.

9. Danica Grunert March 4, 2010 1:22 pm edit

But you ARE all sparkly and ethereal. Nice pics. Beautiful. Hugs to get you through the next several weeks.
    .-= Danica Grunert´s last blog ..Shake the Dust =-.

10. Elle March 4, 2010 4:43 pm edit

Great photos! I love the mountains. Definitely makes my soul do a big, peaceful sigh.
    .-= Elle´s last blog ..I love Amazon.ca =-.

11. Melissa March 4, 2010 6:21 pm edit

You can make it!!! Those pics are beautiful! I’ve never seen a mountain in person but pictures like these remind me that I need to plan a “mountain-y” vacay.

12. Tamara March 4, 2010 7:03 pm edit

I love the second and fourth photos. So pretty!

13. Ninabi March 4, 2010 8:27 pm edit

My daughter is the winter lover and she’d so appreciate these fabulous pictures of the endless vista of trees and mountains and snow. Great shots.

Hope the coming zombie weeks fly by quickly. I admire all that you do.

14. Elizabeth March 4, 2010 10:03 pm edit

Totally amazing pictures!!
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Found ‘er =-.

15. Jennifer Kirk March 5, 2010 1:33 am edit

Is that the Monashee Mountains?
    These pics rock. Imagine what he could do with the 7D?!
    .-= Jennifer Kirk´s last blog ..Aldila Boutique =-.

1. angella March 5, 2010 3:49 pm edit

I KNOW.

As for the mountains…maybe? They stayed in a cabin up at Apex. :)

16. Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire March 5, 2010 11:52 am edit

he has an awesome eye and I love the photos. Absolutely breathtaking!
    .-= Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..Flash Back Friday-The Fish Incident Edition =-.

17. hillary March 5, 2010 12:50 pm edit

great photos, Matthew!
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..An Old Piece Of Bacon Never Eaten By Elvis =-.

18. Ashley March 5, 2010 4:09 pm edit

I think you actually made my husband swoon with those photos! He loves the moments on his snowmobile. I’ll go, when I have to, but the whole cold, wet, snow thing, I don’t so much like. It’s so much prettier from a warm chalet :)

19. Momo Fali March 5, 2010 6:57 pm edit

You know I hate winter as much as you do, but I would ride on the back of your snowmobile if it looked that pretty.

20. Daily Cup of Jo March 6, 2010 1:33 pm edit

Okay, I know you said a bunch of stuff about balance and being too busy, and work, blah, blah, blah but I couldn’t get past the pictures. Those are stunning! Winter is my favorite season (I live in LA, but it was even when I lived in NY) and the snow on the trees. I’m breathless. I believe I may have been a polar bear in a former life.
    .-= Daily Cup of Jo´s last blog ..Friday fodder: shove/ram/jam and other things I don’t understand =-.