I am in the middle of reading Rob Bell’s latest book and in it he quotes writer Anne Lamott.  She says that the most powerful sermon in the world is two words:

Me too.

The truth of that statement smacked me upside the head.

(Not literally. Obviously.)

Each and every human being is a completely different creature.  My thoughts, my desires, my preferences, my habits, my everything is unique to ME. Out of every single person who resides on the planet Earth, there is not one who is my carbon copy. I am an individual, distinctive, extraordinary, solitary being, like none other.

That whole concept is pretty awesome.

It can also be a little lonely.

For if I am so special (as are you) that nobody can compare…then it can be pretty isolating.

This is where “Me too!” comes in.  All of a sudden you are no longer alone.

You know the feeling.  You meet a new friend at the park who tells you that her boys did not potty train until they were three. “Me Too!” you exclaim, happy to have someone who has experienced what you have, staring down the butt-crack of your kids for three years straight.

You meet another Mom who tells you the truth that she had to let her older baby “Cry It Out” in order to get a good night’s sleep for everyone. “Me too!”, you exclaim. Then you commiserate on the horrid days of sleeplessness, and confess that while your kids still have the occasional night where they pull a “WTH?”, most nights serve as a true rest that helps you to face the day ahead.

It dawned on me that “Me Too” is what brought me to start this site three years ago and what keeps me writing here. The Me Too phenomenon is central to blogging, it seems.

I read posts by my friends that mention skipping Third Grade (and the awkwardness that ensues) and I pipe up, “Me Too!”

I read about The Fruit Commandments and shout a huge “Me Too!” (And also, “HOLLA!”) (I also confess to my hatred of Lemon Meringue pie.)

I reflected on what I have been writing here, and it has been more of the other side of the Me Too community.  I have much of the good, the bad, and the ugly in my life but do not share a lot of it due to many, many reasons.  What I have shared seems a bit selfish, as I have been on the receiving end of the Me Too. The receiver of the “Oh, I hear you and I want to help” version of the Me Too.

The most recent example being the post about my fight with The Winter Blues. I threw it out there, hoping for people to exclaim, “Me Too!” and to share their ideas for embracing winter. It wasn’t about you, it was about me (Though I guess it is my site…)

Here is where I want to give the fun side of “Me too!” to my (wee) community.  I want to share some random tidbits about myself in the hopes that you will see glimmers of yourself and feel a connection.

Here goes!

I feel as though I am a bit of a fraud when people call me a “Photographer”. I am a Chartered Accountant who likes to take photos.  While I have come a long way in my photography skills in the past two years, I have so much further to go. SO MUCH FURTHER.

I lose my temper with the kids. It is not entirely my fault. HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT ON YOUR SHOES IN UNDER TEN MINUTES?

Bad drivers, um, drive me batty. See that yellow line? STICK TO THE RIGHT OF IT. Also. The four-way-stop works well if we all take our turns. You jetting out immediately after the dude in front of you? NOT COOL.

Warm towels out of the dryer are like a taste of Heaven to me.

I cannot stand drinking room-temperature water.  Ice is a necessity.

Then I get cold, and need to drink something warm. Usually tea or coffee.

Which dehydrates me and makes me thirsty. So I reach for some ice water…

And you wonder how I spend my days.

Some days I feel young! And saucy!

Other days I see my crow’s feet, my saggy boobs skin, my lack of any ability to age as gracefully as others seem to do.  I want to be THAT WOMAN who is transcendent in her beauty, regardless of age. I don’t really see it happening. I hope to get there though. It will probably be when I am ninety or so.

I do not think that Will Farrell is very funny.

Steve Carell, however? BRING IT ON.

I wonder if I will ever be truly happy in this body of mine. I make it hunger, I exercise it until it cries out, and I still critique myself more than anyone else ever would. I really hope we can come to peace with each other before I am ninety.

Ninety seems to be a common theme. I hope that if I do make it to ninety, I am not an invalid.

I place a lot of demands on this weakly, earthly body of mine.

Yo Gabba Gabba, while a great distraction for the kids, IS COMPLETELY INSANE. The writers/actors must have access to some seriously sweet drugs.

I have never done (illegal) drugs.  Yes, I am serious.

I sometimes slip and swear.  It is usually the “s” word, but once a year or so I drop the “F” bomb to the delight/disdain of my husband.

I think Jesus laughs when I swear.

I love to cook and bake.  Baking is easy for me, and I have a husband (and children) who eat every last bite.  One goody I have never made is a homemade pie. I should get on that.

I tend to write more than I intend to and then live in fear of the Publish button.  I need to work on that.

Speaking of Publish, I need to do that before I write a novel.

I find it utterly amazing how one simple quote can inspire me so much.  When you hear a piece of Truth it resonates in your soul and makes you want to share it with those you love.

Which includes each and every one of you. If none of my confessions sparked a “Me too!”, please share one of your own. Odds ate I (or someone else) will feel their heart leap upon reading your words.

We are a community, after all.

comments

Comments:

1. bethany actually November 20, 2008 2:30 am edit

Apparently neither you nor I can function unless we have a beverage of some kind, whether it’s icy cold or hot and soothing, nearby at all times. ;-)

Have you read C.S. Lewis much? In his autobiography, he talks about how friendship is all about the “me too” moment, discovering that someone else out there shares an interest of yours. I’d go look up the exact quote but I’m lazy. Suffice it to say, great minds think alike!

bethany actually’s last blog post..Home at last

2. gorillabuns November 20, 2008 5:40 am edit

It IS very nice to know you are not the only one out there that feels a certain way about a subject. Even with supposed “strangers.”

3. witchypoo November 20, 2008 6:00 am edit

I so think Jesus laughs when you swear. I know I do.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Recycled Toilet Story

4. Claire November 20, 2008 6:47 am edit

Yo Gabba Gabba is seriously trippy. My son’s Muno doll is by far the coolest toy he owns but that’s one weird show!

Claire’s last blog post..Skurrred

5. ali November 20, 2008 6:50 am edit

jesus totally laughs when you swear.
    *grins*
    obviously, you KNOW i’m going to add a little me too to MANY of these….especially the Yo Gabba GAbba thing, which, of course, miss Isabella is OBSESSED with.

love this post!

6. Janssen November 20, 2008 8:05 am edit

I haven’t ever done drugs either. I’m so afraid of needles and pills of even the legal sort, that I could NEVER do ones that have who knows what results. Eek.

Janssen’s last blog post..Reevaluating My Life Goals

7. She Likes Purple November 20, 2008 8:39 am edit

I couldn’t agree more about quotes. I want to start a “quote” section in my sidebar.

She Likes Purple’s last blog post..Bad day, good mom

8. Amanda Brown November 20, 2008 8:40 am edit

Me Too to the following:
    1. No pie-making skillz (yet)
    2. Wondering if I’ll ever be happy in my body
    3. Room temp water is a crime.

However, Will Ferrell is a comic genius. :)

Amanda Brown’s last blog post..Stuck In a Moment

9. Renee Daniels November 20, 2008 8:42 am edit

I’m gonna “me too” another part of the post…I really enjoy Rob Bell’s books (and the nooma vids…have you watched those?). Jon bought the new one when it came out but I haven’t picked it up yet. I need to get on that. We’re currently reading “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan. It’s an easy read but very challenging spiritually. Once I’ve absorbed it (as much as I can with one reading), I’ll start on Bell’s.

Oh…and I love to cook and bake as well. My one wish is that I had more TIME to spend in the kitchen.

Renee Daniels’s last blog post..I forgot?

10. sizzle November 20, 2008 9:13 am edit

I love Anne Lamott. I’m glad she inspired you to write this post.

sizzle’s last blog post..You are SO grounded.

11. Vicki November 20, 2008 10:07 am edit

Me too moments happen A LOT when I read dutchblitz – way more than i ever say:)

Vicki’s last blog post..Snakes, and Spiders & Fears, Oh My

12. hillary November 20, 2008 10:09 am edit

I really enjoyed this post!
    I’m going to add my Me Too! to:
    hating bad drivers
    loving warm towels
    wishing I could get over my silly body issues
    enjoying cooking and baking

hillary’s last blog post..You See It’s Too Much To Ask For And I Am Not The Doctor

13. Krista November 20, 2008 10:13 am edit

I’ve never done drugs either…I’ve never smoked (never)…and I don’t like to drink alcohol. I like to read at the table, and sometimes my husband and I go hours without talking with each other, and then we’ll say the exact same thing at the same time.

Krista’s last blog post..Thoughts of Former Seasons

14. Andrea November 20, 2008 10:16 am edit

Sometimes I’m such a sailor.

Never even touched a cigarette no less drugs.

I love room temp water, though. Ice water KILLS my teeth :)

Bad drivers bring out the sinner in me, like nothin’ else does.

And on and on….

I love ya, my Me Too!! friend.

-Andrea

Andrea’s last blog post..Photos From Class, Yo.

15. Kristabella November 20, 2008 10:17 am edit

What a great post! And how true about the “Me too!” That is so true and one thing I love about blogging. I have met so many awesome people, so many people that I have so much in common with that I feel like I’m constantly wanting to comment “Me too!” on all the blogs I read.

Although, I am the opposite of you and love room temp water. It’s easier to chug. :)

Kristabella’s last blog post..Employment Is Tiring

16. Sharon November 20, 2008 10:17 am edit

I think I can say “me too” to most of the things you mentioned. Especially the winter blues, room temperature water (ewwww!!) and bad drivers. Oy.

Thanks for sharing!

Sharon’s last blog post..Health update

17. Elizabeth November 20, 2008 11:38 am edit

This is one of my favorite things you’ve ever written. Finding out you are not so alone is seriously the greatest thing about the internet – it has been my lifeline this past year.
    Anne Lamott is one of my favorite writers.
    And a big “Me Too” to you too :)

Elizabeth’s last blog post..Must Love Dogs

18. Kami November 20, 2008 11:56 am edit

This is one of those truly great posts… this is why I blog. The affirmation of the millions of me toos from me to my buddies and to me from my buddies. Thank you Angella, this really hit home for me. I just remembered why I blog and why I used to be more inspired.

Now for my me toos:

Will Farrell – you know how much I think he’s not funny

I used to feel that way about pie too but then I found this amazing pastry recipe that you cannot mess up. If you want it let me know!

Cold water to drink is the only kind, warm water reminds me of, er, well, pee to be exact.

And seriously, the shoe thing, I don’t think I could take 10 minutes to put them on if I tried, how can my kids do it?

*top almost blows off head*

Love you to bits girl!

Kami’s last blog post..Rut of magnificent proportions

19. Kristin November 20, 2008 5:10 pm edit

Me too…
    losing my temper.
    bad drivers. Gerr!
    Will is not really all that funny.
    Yo Gaba Gaba is too strange for me, we don’t watch over here.
    no illegal drugs, haven’t smoked anything (legal or illegal) either.

Great post by the way. :)

20. Mrs. Wilson November 20, 2008 6:02 pm edit

ME TOO!! haha ;)

Except, I do not like Steve Carell. I loathe him in fact. I have a The Office-addict for a friend, and I watch it for everyone BUT Steve Carell. Oh, and I’ve done a couple drugs. A couple drugs MANY TIMES. (But not anymore.) I lose my temper way too much too. Is brushing your teeth in the morning ALSO supposed to take TEN MINUTES?

I just finished reading every. single. one. of your Foto Fridays in preparation of this week. (Thank you!) So, you may not think yourself much of a photographer, but I’ve gleaned a lot from you and I’m very thankful for it (you).

ps. Is Rob Bell the NOOMA video guy?

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..NaBloPoMo Day 19: Photoshop to the rescue

21. Ashley November 20, 2008 6:18 pm edit

Me Too!
    -Steve Carell totally earns his laughs, Will Farrell I’m pretty sure he pays for them.
    - Water must be cold
    - Never done the illegal drug thing, or the alcohol one
    - Yo Gabba Gabba scares me just a little…is it normal to be that weird?

You should absolutely read the book “Me Too!” to your kids, it’s a Mercer Mayer book that I’ve grown up with and read to Bethany. It’s too cute and puts the value on someone me tooing you.

Ashley’s last blog post..In the Mood

22. metalia November 20, 2008 7:34 pm edit

Not to sound all “learning circle,” but this was such an inspiring post, and so true. Oh, and room temperature water is the drink of the devil. *hurl*

metalia’s last blog post..It’s Time for…ASK A JEW: Episode 2!

23. Don Mills DIva November 20, 2008 7:38 pm edit

I love Steve Carrell too!

And we both have boys named Graham!

And I love this post. Perfect.

Don Mills DIva’s last blog post..Reconnecting with Grace

24. Elaine November 20, 2008 7:54 pm edit

Yeah, “Me Too” on the You Gabba Gabba a hoping to be happy with my body someday.

I laughed about your thinking Jesus laughs when you swear. I’ve never thought of it that way, but I will now! ; )

Really nice post…

Elaine’s last blog post..Dessert Decision & Recipe

25. Mrs. Flinger November 20, 2008 10:23 pm edit

I know for a fact Jesus laughs. He invited the F-bomb. I mean, what did he do in the desert starving? He cussed. A LOT me thinks. ;-)

And dooood. This post? Is one gigantic ME TOO. Which is why I can love you oodles even if I’ve only made out with you a few times in San Fran. We’ll always have San Fran.

Anne Lamott? ME TOO. Beverage: Me TOO. Photography? ME TOO. (Except you, hon, should give yourself more credit) and also? The exercise starve thing? ME TOO.

man. Seriously. Me. Too.

Mrs. Flinger’s last blog post..The 170 character tweet with a picture to make you feel better about clicking over here. Sorda.

26. Michele November 21, 2008 1:06 am edit

Loved this! I too love hearing, “Me too…” it brings people together!

27. Rhi November 21, 2008 12:27 pm edit

I will stand up to ANYBODY at work. My creative agency? They will not cross me, becuase I’ve told them off a time or two. If someone crosses me in my personal life? I just let them do it. I’m too scared to stand up for myself.

Rhi’s last blog post..THE ORIGINAL Friday Bullets

28. ELizabeth November 21, 2008 1:31 pm edit

I’m “me too-ing” on a bunch of those points, then delighting in our differences, as well. I marvel at how God has SO MANY different people in mind!!
    My random fact: I very often feel that I am failing at the multi-faceted task of being a parent, but I sure do love it.

ELizabeth’s last blog post..Boys

29. Kerri Anne November 21, 2008 1:41 pm edit

It’s interesting, definitely, the “nothing new under the sun” combined with everyone is wholly unique mentality. I completely think both trains of thoughts–both truths–can co-exist and I’m really glad they do. We are all individiuals, living together. I’m thankful for that.

Did you see “Dan in Real Life” starring Steve Carrell? I highly recommend it, especially if you really like Steve Carrell. I REALLY liked it.

Kerri Anne’s last blog post..Twilight Thoughts, No Spoiler Edition

30. angella November 21, 2008 1:42 pm edit

Yes! I watched it on the plane to Mexico. Loved it :)

31. monstergirlee November 21, 2008 11:09 pm edit

Lots and lots of Me Too! In your list.
    However… I swear waaay too much, and sometimes I’m not as discreet as I should be. A couple months ago my 2 1/2 yr old daughter dropped an f-bomb, correctly. AAHHH. That shaped me up real fast.

monstergirlee’s last blog post..Rock Climbing

32. Gabreial November 22, 2008 12:01 pm edit

It is so,so funny that I found your post from a shared RSS feed. I’ve read through, and cracked up at myself from saying ME TOO to so many things you’ve posted here(especially Yo Gabba Gabba LOL). While not everything is exactly the same, a few stand out and somehow not ever reading your blog, connecting with you in a anyway makes me feel like I … know you. Isn’t that weird. I think most moms, and people online find friendship and a connection they can’t anywhere else. Meeting people from all over the world online gives you friends and connections that you would have never had, although sometimes it is sad when you find out they are clear across the county. Anywho, thanks for sharing!

Gabreial’s last blog post..7 Random Things

33. Trenches of Mommyhood November 25, 2008 9:33 am edit

Me too! About Steve Carrell, Will Farrell and Yo Gabba Gabba.

Love your blog!

Trenches of Mommyhood’s last blog post..What The???? (Yet Another Proud Parenting Moment From the Trenches)