Thanks so much for your comments, emails and DM’s. January is a tough month for a lot of you, too. It’s also the month that most relationships break up. True story. Matthew and I are fine, though we’ve both had a horrible case of The Januarys (Januaries?) and we’re kind of DONE with this blasted month. Today is a new day, and better yet, it’s a GOOD day. By 9:30 a.m. I’d: worked out, done two loads of laundry, cleaned three bathrooms and unloaded/loaded the dishwasher. None of this moping around business.

I didn’t want to leave that dreary post up over the weekend, so I thought I’d balance it out with things that make me smile.

Graham, aka He Who Loves To Read/Write/Build, signed up for the basketball team. He had his very first game on Wednesday.

Day 25: Something I made. A future NBA star! Well, maybe. The son who usually prefers reading/writing/building signed up for basketball. Today is his very first game! #janphotoaday

WHERE DID MY BABY GO?

Emily drew me this picture (hover to read the story behind it).

Emily drew me a picture. Her: "Do you know what the small trees are? They're the ones that are far away. The pond (upper right) is far away too." Me: "Did you learn that at school?" Her: "No, I just figured it out." #depthperception #smartgirl

She’s my little artiste.

These tea cups I got for my birthday.

Three of my girls (@jdykstra, @tlbraam, and @vrogall) bought me tea cups. Love.

I feel so FANCY.

My bi-weekly girls’ night with Emily while the boys are at Spudz.

It's the bi-weekly boys' club, which means it's the bi-weekly girls' night with Emily. This includes a monstrous bucket of popcorn, a movie, and our butts firmly planted on the couch. (Emily's movie choice tonight was Barbie: The Diamond Castle.)(She's OK

I read while she watched her Barbie movie, and then we watched Enchanted. Love.

A few non-photo-related things that make me smile:

What’s making you smile?

comments

Comments:

1. Kandi January 27, 2012 12:43 pm edit

36 days til my wedding!! :)
    60+ degree (F) day in January? :):):):):)

2. heidikins January 27, 2012 12:58 pm edit

Those teacups made me cry. My grandmother had a vast teacup collection, and a few years before she died she divvied them up amongst her granddaughters. I have two mis-matched floral ones hanging on the wall in my dining room, and they always remind me of her.

Happy Friday, my dear. May this weekend bring you sunshine and laughter and all things happy.

xox

3. Mrs. Wilson January 27, 2012 2:27 pm edit

I finally found a great breadmaker recipe and the kids and I inhaled an entire loaf of bread smothered in butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. And Kaylie has the day off today, which is rad after yesterday’s events (a gun going off at her school). And it’s FRIDAY and Noah and I are going out tonight for the first time in a very long time and the girls are sleeping over at the in-laws’ place. :)

4. Kami January 27, 2012 3:35 pm edit

Yay for the better day!

Today, things making me smile – brand new bathrooms that are 99% completed, it’s Friday (yay!) and life in general.

5. C @ Kid Things January 29, 2012 8:47 am edit

So many good things to make you smile. Glad your day was better, hope this one is, too.

6. Hannah January 29, 2012 1:37 pm edit

So glad you are feeling better and smiling again! Love your list of things. I could include some of my own but I might save that for my blog post about our holiday … when I finally get time to download all the photos!

7. Lovejoy January 31, 2012 6:34 pm edit

It is a very nice question. It managed to put a smile on my face. But seriously in response to your question, right now my husband manages to put a smile on my face everyday. Be it with something he says or something he does – a silly expression, a cute face .. whatever it is. Also I smile when I check my email on a morning and I do get a nice comment on an article I wrote for hubpages or maybe on my blog. Stuff like that. I tend to smile and laugh a lot. But right now – my husband is the one who has me smiling all the time and I am grateful for that.