I feel like I’m running non-stop these days and have far too many snippets of thoughts and ideas bouncing around in my head to even make any sense of them most of the time. I don’t know about you, but when I get mentally constipated the best cure of all is to dump it out (Ha!) in order to remove the blockage. I guess this makes my site the equivalent to a toilet bowl. Awesome.

***

My sister Dayna flew in Saturday morning for an extended visit. Part of the reason for the visit was to see my kidlets for the first time since returning from her two-year stint living in New Zealand. The other reason she has come to visit is so that she can spoil my kids rotten watch said kidlets while Matthew and I jet off to Vegas. We leave Thursday and in order to help prepare for the trip I took all of the suggestions from you guys in that post (and on Twitter) and placed them into a (highly organized) spreadsheet. What?

***

We signed the dudes up for soccer this year (They played softball last year and wanted to try soccer)(We keep extra-curricular sports to a minimum (One per child) because our lives are hectic enough as it is).

Nathan is (the spitting image of his Daddy, and) a natural athlete. His fancy footwork is a sight to behold.

Graham, a.k.a. He Who Builds Lego Masterpieces And Makes Amazing Illustrations, is also doing really well in soccer. He’s on a great team with good friends and is really getting the hang of the sport.

As someone who didn’t play sports/exercise until her mid-twenties, I love that my kids are starting so young and enjoying it. I once read a study that if children are not involved in sports/exercise by the time they are ten years of age, the odds of them being physically active in their twenties is pretty minimal – only about 10% of them pick it up later. I’m thankful that I fell into that 10% and I’m thankful that my kids love to be outside and active. I want them to live full (and healthy) lives. Watching them having so much fun doing so makes my heart smile.

***

As I have mentioned previously, Miss Emily’s dance recital is scheduled for this coming Thursday. The day we leave for Vegas (BOO). Her class has a full dress rehearsal tonight and I’m hoping that she will miraculously perform, as opposed to any other event where she’s on stage and chooses to suck her thumb/scowl/do the limp noodle/thrash about on stage.

This past Saturday was Miss Emily’s final class of the season. Us parents got to sit inside the dance room instead of behind the glass and my heart nearly exploded with pride. When her teacher told the class to do the pose of a true ballerina, they all knew what to do.

She also quizzed them on various ballet poses and what they were called and these three-year-old little ballerinas knew all of the answers. So, SO adorable.

***

Speaking of Miss Emily, last Thursday was a hard one on her, me and Matthew. He tried to drop her off at preschool, only to encounter clinging and crying and a complete meltdown. He called me at work and said, “I can’t do this anymore.” I told him to put her on the phone and reiterated what she and I had talked about many times: Mommy and Daddy have to work in order to pay for our house and for food and for clothes and everything and that she needed to be a big girl. She started crying again and replied with:

“I just don’t want Daddy to leave.”

As a girl with abandonment issues, that cut me to the core. After our conversation was over I closed my office door and had a good (hour-long) cry. I pretty much felt like the worst Mom on the planet. We didn’t go through any of this with the boys because I was home. I was working, yes, but I was home. The thing is, she loves preschool. Mere minutes after we’re gone she’s busy crafting and singing and learning and when we arrive to pick her up she’s having a grand ole time. It’s just the drop-off that is killing me. Well, more so Matthew, since he’s physically there, but still. Summer (and my three-day work week) cannot get here fast enough.

When I asked her why she didn’t want to go to preschool she answered, “Because hanging out with grown-ups is so much easier.” Good point.

***

In lighter Emily news, she’s a total ham for the camera. (Stating the obvious, here.) She was sitting on the deck with Chloe yesterday afternoon and when I mentioned how cute they looked she said, “Do you want to take a picture?”

You don’t have to ask me twice.

***

Enough about me and my horribly (happily) boring life. What’s going on in your life?

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah May 17, 2010 3:39 am edit

((HUGS)) … I really do know how you’re feeling with regard to the tears at drop-off. It’s SO hard. And nobody can really understand unless they’ve been there themselves. So many of my friends’ kids would just run off and not even say goodbye, but Tyler would cry and say “I don’t want you to leave”. We’ve only just conquered that one. But at least it doesn’t last forever. Emily will get there too. Hang in there!! xx

2. Jen May 17, 2010 7:29 am edit

Oh, about the same!

I can’t handle meltdown drop-offs, but both my kids have gone to day care since they were six months old (sometimes on and off), so it’s a little easier (on them).

LOVE your photos. As usual.

3. Jen May 17, 2010 8:42 am edit

That story breaks my heart. I’m glad that when you pick her up though that’s she’s having a grand old time. Poor babe! And poor you and Matthew! Loving the picture of Emily and her bunny, and hope you guys have a blast in Vegas!

4. hillary May 17, 2010 9:36 am edit

Oh lady, the abandonment issue is rough. Hopefully Emily will settle into the routine and it won’t be so heartbreaking.
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..Go Ahead Be Gone With It And Get Your Sexy On =-.

5. Tanya May 17, 2010 9:51 am edit

I really love this post and want to wish you “tonnes o fun” in Vegas too! This is neither puke or #2….. just the regular old genius, I have come to expect! Just finished my tea and this good read! Now I will face the day with more smiles (from you!). Thanks again….

6. Kristabella May 17, 2010 10:03 am edit

Gah! My ovaries! Nathan in his soccer gear is adorable! (Yes internet, he’s my favorite and Angella knows this!) :) (As a middle kid, I have a soft spot for all middle kids!)

When I was at Ali’s, Isabella put in her ballet outfit and told us about “pizza feet”, which was like the best way to describe it ever!
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..Winnie the POO =-.

7. Madge May 17, 2010 10:21 am edit

Oh how I know about the pain of preschool drop off. Clarabelle never had a “happy” drop off until starting Zoloft in Kindergarten. I’m happy to say that she is now drug free and just this morning she giggled as she walked into her second grade classroom. I KNOW that it will get better for you guys. I’ll be thinking of you all every morning.

and VEGAS? You’re going to have such a great time.
    .-= Madge´s last blog ..Birthday! =-.

8. faith May 17, 2010 1:47 pm edit

I totally understand the meltdown I’m an ECE and work in a childcare. It is always hard at first but as long as you try to keep the same routine going she will learn. I had one mother who had to do karate moves infront of the window when she got outside for her son and as long as she did that he was fine all day.

9. Danica May 17, 2010 1:51 pm edit

Hanging out with grownups is so much easier. So cute, and ain’t that the truth?
    I am exhausted. I went on a shopping weekend with my ladies. I didn’t realize what a shopping wimp I am. I nearly died. My regular life is a breezy relaxing rest to return to.
    .-= Danica´s last blog ..G is for Grass =-.

10. Moose May 17, 2010 7:53 pm edit

Every time I start thinking, “Eh, I could do without kids,” I see the soccer games and the bunnies and ballet and I’m right back where I started.

Love those pictures.
    .-= Moose´s last blog ..I Met a Red Wall Named Jack =-.

11. alimartell May 17, 2010 8:35 pm edit

we occasionally have those clingy weepy drop-offs. HATE. Rips you apart, eh?

HUGS.
    .-= alimartell´s last blog ..Things That Only Happen To Me. (Apparently, I Only Know How To Write In Lists This Week) =-.

12. Elizabeth May 17, 2010 10:08 pm edit

Well, I have my fingers crossed for some very exciting blog-material in the next few days. However, it is in God’s hands and I’m not sure if what I think is cool and amazing jives with His plan for us. I’ll keep ya posted.

13. Sarah May 17, 2010 11:30 pm edit

I vaguely remember doing the whole melt-down as I got dropped off. I’m sure my parents loved that.

I am happy that your life is happy. Seriously, it’s nice to read a blog that isn’t drama-poor me-drama-complain-etc etc. It makes me happy!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Sad =-.

14. Kami's Khlopchyk May 18, 2010 12:53 pm edit

Your boys are so handsome in their soccer uni’s! And Emily, well, she kind of makes me want to take up ballet again.

Now that would be funny! 36 yo woman, maims self while attempting pirouette – film at 11.
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..I Am A Soccer Mom =-.

15. Mel May 18, 2010 1:09 pm edit

I love magic bullets !! It is interesting to hear of the drop off dilemas…Our son is 1 tomorrow, and freaks if either of us leave, like even to walk the dog….walking to the elevator in the building you can hear his screams down the hall..KILLS me, everytime and he’s 1!! Oh geez….the bunny picture is all kinds of SUPER!!