So! Christmas! I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that it happened this past weekend because even if you don’t celebrate it, the television and stores have been shoving it in your face since August (I’m looking at YOU, Costco).

I love Christmas. Love it, love it, love it. I also dread it a little bit. It comes, for me, with an undercurrent of melancholy. Back in my single days, I spent a few Christmases in Vancouver alone, apart from the jaunt to my family’s for Christmas dinner. I still remember how much this holiday of love seems to exclude single folk. There’s also the whole other family issue from this year that I don’t want to go into, mainly because I stopped to think about it during the Christmas Eve service and was a weepy mess. I had every reason to feel that way, yes, but I also have every reason to be thankful for where I am today. I have a husband who cherishes me and three kids who rock my socks off.

I don’t know if you have any traditions on Christmas Eve, or if you save everything for Christmas Day, but Christmas Eve here is pretty fun. Matthew grew up in a family who decorated sugar cookies every Christmas Eve and we’ve carried on the tradition. I make them ahead of time (they’re brown sugar cookies; much fluffier than the regular ones) and then we mix together icing sugar, milk and food coloring and go to town with the sprinkles. As artistic as this here accountant is, it stops when it comes to decorating Christmas cookies. Case in point:

Matthew, however, is in possession of both the patience and the Artsy gene that I lack. Here’s his favorite:

Our other family tradition is that the kids each get to open one present, which is always a new pair of jammies. Matthew and I both grew up with that tradition and we like to do the same with our kids.

Back when Graham was a baby, Matthew and I created our own tradition where we open the presents to each other on Christmas Eve. I put on some traditional Christmas music, pour us each a glass of wine and we have a peaceful gift exchange. The first present from him was a new pair of slippers! They were too small. The next gift from him was the leather gloves I had asked for! Also too small. The third present from him was a new pair of pajamas! And they were the right size! It’s too bad that the clerk at The Bay forgot to remove the security tag…

I opened the last present and it made up for the comedy of errors from the first three presents. It was a case for my new iPhone! And not just any case, no, it is an Angry Birds case.

He wins at giving presents.

Christmas Day was the usual flurry of presents and dinner prep (hosting Matthew’s work party the weekend before Christmas and then turkey dinner six days later has me feeling like I ran a marathon, but I loved every minute of it) and cousins and sledding and more presents and appetizers and a dinner that came together perfectly, with all of the adults chipping in for that last little rush.

I don’t have to return to work until Tuesday the 4th (and then fly to Disneyland the next day, ahem). I plan on enjoying every moment that I can while I get to be at home with my perfect (for me) husband and my three hilarious children (and our two dogs and two cats and did you know that we have chickens too? They live in a coop, though). If you’re an Instagram/Twitter/FB/Flickr friend, there’s a chance that you may have seen these, but they kind of sum up why I’ve been smiling a little brighter these past few days.

(More on Flickr. I finally got through all of the photos I took these past few weeks. Hooray!)

I hope you had a wonderful holiday full of love and laughter. Are you looking forward to what 2011 has in store? I sure am.

comments

Comments:

1. Sarah December 27, 2010 1:21 am edit

Love the pictures! So glad you had a wonderful weekend.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

2. Mrs. Wilson December 27, 2010 7:15 am edit

And now I have that Point of Grace song in my head.

Looks like a pretty awesome Christmas. And yes, I’m ready for this sucktastic year to be over and I’m ready to see what 2011 has in store. Like pushing a watermelon out of my hoo-hah.

.-= Mrs. Wilson´s last blog ..Grace in Small Things- Sunday Edition 5 =-.

3. Allison December 27, 2010 7:30 am edit

Being single during Christmas is not fun at all. I have to say, my Christmas was pretty lousy :(

4. K December 27, 2010 8:45 am edit

Merry Christmas, Angella! :)

5. Kami December 27, 2010 9:39 am edit

I am indeed looking forward to 2011! We had a great Christmas too.

Merry Christmas my friend!
    .-= Kami´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

6. Bon December 27, 2010 11:03 am edit

…those are absolutely adorable kids. and the comedy of errors about presents made me laugh…i haven’t even gotten to open mine yet (from Dave) b/c we’re visiting his parents and he left my gift at our house.

enjoy these quiet post-Christmas days. and Disney! :)
    .-= Bon´s last blog ..letter from Santa =-.

7. ChrisB December 27, 2010 12:18 pm edit

So…that middle child of yours…I see many broken hearts in his future. Ones that he caused! Just sayin!
    Not that the other two are not cute as buttons as well, but there is just something about Nathan!

8. Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire December 27, 2010 2:26 pm edit

Christmas was pretty awesome here as well, even with the craziness of my sewing machine breaking as I was finishing up gifts (that never got done) and that we had to drive home from a friend’s with our fog lights alone because both of the headlights on the van went out!
    .-= Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..On this Day =-.

9. katie December 27, 2010 2:39 pm edit

Merry, merry Christmas Angella, to you and your family. BTW can you share your secret for getting little girls to sleep at the foot of the stairs? I really need to know that secret.
    .-= katie´s last blog ..For The Memory Box- Edition 1899 =-.

10. Cheryl December 27, 2010 3:02 pm edit

Merry Christmas Angela!
    Based on the amazing pics (As always!) looks like another great holiday! The kids are so so cute…
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..Thank goodness Santa arrives during the night =-.

11. Meg December 27, 2010 5:52 pm edit

Oh man, I can’t believe Emily passed out on the hardwood! She must have been tuckered!
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Soon enough you’ll hear the blacktop calling your name =-.

12. Roshan December 28, 2010 8:46 am edit

As a lonely bachelor of 34 holidays like Christmas always make it seem extra lonely. Even if Christmas isn’t a big deal for me, its the feeling of an occasion and the feeling of emptiness that always brings me down. And now NY’s ever is coming up – its a tough month to be single & lonely.
    But the pics of your kids – fantabulous!!!

13. Kristabella December 28, 2010 9:06 am edit

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas! I love that iPhone cover!!
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..Where Have I Been =-.

14. Ninabi December 28, 2010 4:05 pm edit

CUTE CUTE CUTE! Your kids look great for Christmas- love the ties and Emily looks pretty in that lovely shade of green.

I’m glad you had a good holiday. My grownup kids were here and for the most fleeting of days, we were all together as a family once again. The “littlest” flies airplanes- and today he heard the captain of my daughter’s flight on his radio as they were getting ready for departure. And I can remember when they were little and making airplanes and spaceships out of Lego…

You enjoy your trip to Disneyland. Seriously awesome good time. (My secret tip- if the crowds are thick and you need to get from point A to point B quickly, carry your youngest in your arms holding one hand under their mouth as if they are going to puke. You will part the crowds like Moses parting the Red Sea. Nobody really wants to be barfed on while on vacation. Don’t ask me how I found this out…:)
    .-= Ninabi´s last blog ..Day 6 of 30 days Something I hope never to do =-.

15. Hannah December 29, 2010 12:56 am edit

I love the photos!! The boys look so handsome in their ties :-)
    Glad you had a wonderful Christmas!
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..Family of five =-.

16. Elaine December 30, 2010 9:26 pm edit

I love that you are carrying on so many wonderful traditions and the kids look great and SO big – ACK! Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year too!!
    .-= Elaine´s last blog ..Holiday Favorites – You Capture =-.

17. hillary January 4, 2011 3:05 pm edit

your kids look like such GROWNUPS in that first photo!
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..I See Hope Is Here In A Plastic Box Ive Seen Christmas Lights Reflect In Your Eyes =-.