Pink Tulips

A few weeks ago I was running a comb through Emily’s hair in an endeavor to divide it into two pigtails for her ballet class. While I was brushing out the knots, she tilted her head to the side like she was listening to something. I asked her what she had heard.

God was talking to me.

Um. Wow. I asked her what God had said to her.

He told me that I am beautiful.

I told her that she is, indeed, beautiful. Then I told Matthew about our conversation and did my best not to cry because how amazing was that?

Last week, I was tucking Miss Emily into bed, which consists of a prayer about what we’re thankful for and people that we want to pray for. It also consists of a snuggle and a chat. I brought up the conversation about God talking to her and asked if God talked to her often. She stated, simply:

He talks to me every day.

Oh. Well. Huh. I asked her what He talked to her about.

Sometimes He tells me that I could be nicer to my brothers. Sometimes He tells me that I could have a better attitude.

God is sounding a lot like Dad and Mom, here. I said that those things were great, but did God tell her good stuff, too?

Oh, YES. He always tells me He loves me.

As I was pondering this story yesterday, I asked her if God had spoken to her since we last talked about it. She was enthusiastic.

Yep! He tells me that he loves me EVERY DAY.

Then she kind of tucked her chin and smiled that shy smile and my heart grew one hundred times bigger.

I want to hear what she hears.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah March 14, 2011 1:56 am edit

Oh my! My eyes teared up a little as I read this. What a pure delight she is! God will be smiling down on her right now. Childlike faith, at it’s best. And what a wonderful job you have done as parents, she has such great role models in you & Matthew.

P.S. Did you see on FB that I am getting a Canon EOS 550D?! Very excited!

2. Sharon March 14, 2011 6:32 am edit

Wow – that’s amazing! I wish I had that kind of faith…

3. steph March 14, 2011 8:16 am edit

Oh amen! This is incredible.

Her sensitivity to God’s voice is evidence of being well raised! :)

4. Rhoni March 14, 2011 8:19 am edit

Wow. That made me cry. At work. Amazing.

5. Ashley March 14, 2011 8:32 am edit

I’d love to know when the point in life comes that the voice of God becomes so hard to hear. When life gets too busy and/or we stop listening. Then I want to go back, stop whatever I’m doing and listen intently!

What a beautiful story!

6. JoL - Amazon woman March 14, 2011 9:04 am edit

That is so wondefully amazing!!!

My mom used to tell me that when I was a child (6 and younger) I used to tell her about my conversations with Jesus and/or angels, but I don’t remember any of that these days….

Keep talking to Emily about this, not only to strengthen you, but also to strengthen her and hopefully her memory of these converstations that she might carry them with her in to adulthood – how awesome would that be? =)

7. Claudia March 14, 2011 9:39 am edit

Oh my goodness, that completely made my day! What a spectacular post!

8. christy March 14, 2011 10:49 am edit

What a wonderful gift she has! To be so sensitive to the voice and Spirit of God. I pray this continues her whole life through.

9. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah March 14, 2011 11:15 am edit

Amazing.

I am an Atheist, but I love this so much. Wouldn’t it be a gift to feel loved by God?

10. Laura Radniecki March 14, 2011 11:17 am edit

OH MY. I have unstoppable chills running along my arms. What a special conversation. I want to hear what she hears too.

11. Mrs. Wilson March 14, 2011 11:45 am edit

Wow. SO awesome she’s so close with God starting so young!

I’ve often been told that God IS talking … we just aren’t listening. (I need to listen more too.)

12. Elaine March 14, 2011 11:47 am edit

Amazing. What a gift. I’m trying to listen up better too, especially during this season of Lent.

If only we could all hear what she hears…

13. Janssen March 14, 2011 7:10 pm edit

That is DARLING. What a lovely little family you are raising.

14. Nolita March 15, 2011 2:29 pm edit

Me too! That is so beautiful!

15. cousin Teresa March 15, 2011 2:58 pm edit

This brought a tear to my eyes.
    I have been thinking a lot lately about god and what I believed. Today my FB status was “I believe in God, but I’m not too clear on the rest of the details”
    What a gift to have, to hear and feel Gods love. Oh how I wish I could hear it too.

16. Jenny Greene March 15, 2011 8:00 pm edit

Holy goosebumps, man! Oh, to be able to hear it.

17. aleesia March 16, 2011 11:13 am edit

The honesty of a child is truly amazing, isn’t it?

18. Kerri Anne March 16, 2011 12:00 pm edit

I totally just told you this in an email, but my sister once described her best friend as someone who “hears from God.” I seriously love that.

And I love Emily. Though not more than God does, as I imagine that to be quite impossible.