You guys? Are the best. I got sweet words of encouragement from comments, emails (including video clips!), e-cards and phone calls. I am really feeling the love over here.

A few of you were worried about me being depressed. I just wanted to clear that one. I know quite a few people who struggle with depression and I can honestly say that depression is not something that I personally wrestle with. It is an awful beast, depression, and my heart goes out to those who fight it daily. My post was written out of a point of complete and utter exhaustion. You cannot run at full tilt on months on end without your body finally giving up on you.

I also have not been diligent at making sure that I have a quiet time every day where I can be still and get refreshed. That is the one thing that I seem to leave by the wayside once I get busy even though it is the one thing that I really need to keep up with. Without that time to refresh and recharge I get so completely unable to give to my family. Because there is nothing left for me to give. That is the point I hit yesterday.

But today is a new day! I got up early and had some quiet time. Then I went back to bed and slept in (thanks Honey!). I did a bit of office work, but it was mindless bookkeeping stuff. Nothing stressful.

I had lunch and was feeling good. I thought that I would take a quick break to read a book. It has been far too long since I have read anything other than a magazine. Since I was feeling more energetic, I thought that I would read outside for twenty minutes or so and then tackle the crap stuff that has been piling up in our basement.

I was in bare feet and stepped out onto our deck. And onto a BEE.

Have you ever been stung by a bee on the sole of your foot? Do you have any idea what it feels like? Let me explain it to you.

IT HURTS. REALLY BAD. REALLY, REALLY BAD.

The only thing that gives relief is to have a Ziploc full of ice underneath it to make it numb. Which is what I am doing right now. My plans to do anything “productive” were kiboshed. Maybe God’s way of making me take a day to relax? Probably. He has a pretty good sense of humour.

I’m not the only one with swelling (See the title? Pretty clever, hey?) going on around here. Two days ago Miss Emily decided to take on the hardwood floors.

Floors, one. Emily, love.

Ouch!

Babies heal fast, though. Here she was later that day.

Getting Better

And today?

All Better

Barely noticeable.

Her clumsiness reminded me of my stellar move almost a year ago when I fell up the stairs and gave myself a black eye. She comes by her lack of grace naturally.

Let’s just hope she’s got more rhythm than her Momma.

comments

Comments:

1. LVGurl August 23, 2007 6:48 pm edit

I’m glad you’re feeling more upbeat today!! :) Sorry to hear about the bee sting.

2. Hannah August 23, 2007 6:53 pm edit

Soooo glad you’re feeling better today. Sorry about the bee sting, but I think you could be right about God forcing you to take it easy and relax! :-)

3. Kami August 23, 2007 7:05 pm edit

SO glad to hear your spirit is better today, but not so about the foot. See, that’s why I have a phobia of bees…. I will take your word on the pain! Mabye advil would help? It’s my go to drug for all aches and pains.

:-)

4. Dana August 23, 2007 7:30 pm edit

I’m glad to see a post from you and to know you are feeling better. Adorable pictures, as usual :) The bee sting..ouch!! I have only been stung once and it was on the arm and when I was a little girl – didn’t hurt too bad that I remember…but it was a long time ago!!!

Kudos to hubby for giving you some personal “me” time.

Have a great day/evening (not sure what time it is in Canada..but its 9:30 p.m. now in Texas!)

Dana

5. Kristin August 23, 2007 8:06 pm edit

I too have been stung on the foot, NOT a fun time!!
    I hope you were able to enjoy some time with your feet up as a result tho. :)

6. Karen August 23, 2007 8:58 pm edit

Glad you’re doing better! And now for your foot!

7. whoorl August 23, 2007 9:04 pm edit

I DEFINITELY think it’s God’s way of getting you to relax! ;) Take care of yourself, girlie! xoxo

8. Lori August 23, 2007 9:50 pm edit

Did you say ‘mindless’ bookkeeping stuff??!! I wish I found it mindless – our year end for the store was July and I’m still slogging through it all! Numbers are not my strong point!!

9. gorillabuns August 23, 2007 9:50 pm edit

maybe, i need to step on a bee to relax. then again, i would totally freak-out like i always do and breakdown with disasterous results.

understanding the empty feeling.

10. Michele August 23, 2007 10:25 pm edit

Glad today was a better day for you…Apart from the bee sting! As usual those pictures of Emily are adorable. She is such a photogenic little thing! Also, I love the deck!

11. Loralee August 23, 2007 10:28 pm edit

I have only been stung by a wasp and it was on the inside of my forearm. It felt like I was being tazered. (Not that I know what that is like either, but it’s what I IMAGINE it’s like!)

12. Elizabeth August 23, 2007 10:34 pm edit

So glad that today was a better day!

13. rebecca August 23, 2007 11:27 pm edit

Bee stings suck. i think they are worse when you are a grown-up. like chicken pox.
    Good on ya for taking an easy day. and baby girl is super adorable, by the way.

14. trish August 24, 2007 12:08 am edit

I stepped on a bee a few years ago and it was horrible! ouch! I’m glad to hear you’re feeling a bit less worn out, tag-team parenting to let the other sleep in is the best gift ever…

15. bethany actually August 24, 2007 12:33 am edit

I am glad you are feeling better, but I was on the road with my mom and daughter, completely internet-less, and had no idea you were feeling bad! So, since I missed the chance to pray for you when you were down, I will say a prayer for your poor stung foot, and a prayer of thanksgiving for your wonderful husband and beautiful kids and great songs and your improved outlook. How’s that? :-)

16. Robyn August 24, 2007 4:36 am edit

Hmm, I’d rather it didn’t take a beesting for you to take a decent time out! Your poor foot (and poor Emily too!). I am glad that you’re feeling a little better. Still praying though :)

17. Vicki August 24, 2007 7:55 am edit

I stepped on a bee on the beach in Mexico…apparently they like sand. Bee stings are ugh!
    As far as you getting a little more rest…YAY! It makes a big difference to just have some time to yourself. Hope you get lots…(and then lots of FUN time with your family, too!)

18. boogiemum August 24, 2007 10:24 am edit

Glad you are feeling better today, albeit the bee sting. Ouch!

Have a great restful weekend…

19. Kami August 24, 2007 3:01 pm edit

I have given you an award for being so nice :-)

20. Randi August 24, 2007 5:10 pm edit

Oh my goodness, A bee!? Sucky:( I hate bees:0 So sorry about that, hope you have a better weekend!

21. Jen August 24, 2007 7:51 pm edit

Glad you’re feeling better! “me time” is priceless, hey?

And my goodness, your little girl is so gorgeous, I just love seeing pics of her!