At the creek

If you are a FB/Twitter friend, then you know that things just haven’t let up over here. Barfing! Diarrhea! Hives! Sometimes all at the same time! I could go crawl in a corner and cry but I cannot help but find it all ironic/hilarious. WHAT ARE THE ODDS that one family would be hit with multiple stomach flu victims, an anxiety-ridden child, and everything else that we’ve been dealing with? The odds are slim. And yet here we are. WE WIN. We win at losing!

I feel like David Spade’s character in The Emperor’s New Groove. I’m channeling Kuzco right now.

Pacha: Uh-oh.
Kuzco: Don’t tell me. We’re about to go over a huge waterfall.
Pacha: Yep.
Kuzco: Sharp rocks at the bottom?
Pacha: Most likely.
Kuzco: Bring it on.

BRING IT ON. Because SERIOUSLY.

Miss Emily woke up in the wee hours of Saturday morning; it was her turn to excrete nasty fluids out of her orifices. She, being the sweet girl that she is, kept apologizing for being sick. We told her that she had nothing to be sorry for — she couldn’t help that she was sick. I perched myself on the edge of the tub across from her, while she sat on the toilet.

She looked (ill, and) older somehow. Then she came out with this.

I have everything I need. I have a bucket, I have some ice water, I have the toilet.

I laughed so hard at 5 a.m. on that Saturday morning, and giggle whenever I recount it for someone else.

She put it all into perspective. Or something.

comments

Comments:

1. bethany actually February 20, 2012 1:46 am edit

Thank GOD for kids and the way they have of putting everything into perspective in a hilarious way, right? I hope things let up for you guys soon. I know the feeling of heading for the waterfall with the sharp rocks at the bottom. The sooner you hit, the sooner you can pick yourself up and move on.

2. Hannah February 20, 2012 5:44 am edit

So sorry that you guys are going through all this, on top of everything else. Not fair. But it’s great when kids can put things into perspective and find that elusive silver lining. Love that. And I hope you are ALL feeling better really soon! xx

3. amanda February 20, 2012 8:40 am edit

I used to cry ( instead of apologize) when I was sick as a kid…and subsequently still do now. Wish I had such perspective when I was battling food poisoning two weeks ago. What a thing for her to come up with at any time…but at 5 a.m. even more precious! Hope the whole family is feeling better and staying better soon. You’re just getting all the sickness over and done with…for the next decade!

4. adele February 20, 2012 9:46 am edit

I cried when I read this as I’m struggling right now but if Emily can be content in her situation how can I complain about mine. Thanks for sharing

5. Ashley February 20, 2012 10:30 am edit

So sorry you guys are battling all the sick. We know how rough that one is. And isn’t it such a great blessing in the midst of anything but, when you can see things through the eyes of your “glass half full” little girl!

6. C @ Kid Things February 20, 2012 10:35 am edit

When 1 gets sick it seems everyone is soon to follow, doesn’t it? Hope they all feel better soon. At least Emily is taking it all in stride.

7. Danica February 20, 2012 12:09 pm edit

That’s awesome. I’m going to try and remember that the next time I’m feeling barraged with suckyness.

I’m sorry to hear you guys are hit with everything all at once. I’m glad to hear you’re managing to keep your spirits up. Here’s hoping everything is back to good and normal soon. :)

8. monstergirlee February 20, 2012 12:27 pm edit

That just kind of breaks my heart, in a good way. What a sweet wonderful girl she is. I think it’s because she has such an awesome Mom. Really.
    Hope things clear up soon! Hugs.

9. Elaine February 20, 2012 1:42 pm edit

Surely you guys are about to get a break! SURELY! I’ll be praying for it…

But yes, love Emily’s perspective. It’s just so simple with kids, isn’t it?

10. hillary February 20, 2012 6:27 pm edit

Thank goodness for sweet Emily. I hope you guys catch a break soon. Sending healing happy thoughts your way :)
    xo

11. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures February 20, 2012 7:25 pm edit

Oh no feel better soon!

12. Julie February 21, 2012 9:32 am edit

The little one must be a genius! And at 5 a.m.? That’s incredible:)

13. alimartell February 21, 2012 11:44 am edit

Kids have a way, eh…

I HOPE everyone’s feeling better at your place.
    hugs.

14. Loukia February 23, 2012 9:57 am edit

You are not alone! Wit seems like we are always hit with bad luck, too. Sick child on vacation, crazy medical bill, weird doctor, death of a relative in Greece, my grandmother who babysits mostly broke her arm, gov’t cutting jobs, sister in second car accident (she’s fine) etc. and more colds a fly last week. It is crazy times! But… Perspective. , right? Things could be worse… I hope finally the worst of it is behind you now. Winter had been long! You have an awesome family. And you’re the best mom. Huge hugs to you!!!! xoxo