Somehow, some way, Wednesdays have been declared “wordless” by some mystical Internet Fairies. (Who exactly are these Fairies? Are they real? Do they have powers? If so, can they give me a nice rack?) I usually embrace the wordlessness as even I get tired of hearing my own voice. I (usually) tend to take more photos than I ever know what to do with so I have embraced this unspoken “Rule” of the Internet (for the most part) and have stuck to only posting photos on Wednesdays.

Today, however, I HAVE WORDS.

As much as I loved my solo trip to California (and, of course, the Desperate Bloggers), once I was en route back to my Homeland all I wanted to do was get back to see my husband and children. My flights were on time and I thought that I was good to go.

I thought wrong.

Upon arriving at the Kelowna airport (final destination), I received two pieces of news that turned me into Grumpy McGrumpypants.

1. Thanks to the time of my arriving flight, I would have to book it to miss a scheduled road closure due to construction. Any delays and I would miss the half-hour opening.

2. While waiting for my luggage the airline announced that there would be a slight “delay” as they were unloading the luggage off of the aircraft BY HAND. Who needs machines? Us Canadians can do it ALL BY OURSELVES.

My suitcase arrived into the airport lobby A FULL HOUR AFTER I DID.

I was worried that I would miss the scheduled opening to get through the construction and not make it home in time to tuck my sweet kidlets into bed. Upon (finally) retrieving my suitcase I ran out of the airport…only to be confronted with snow and wind. This is where I mention that while I was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, that ensemble was completed with an Old Navy hoodie and some American Eagle canvas shoes, sans socks.

I dragged my suitcase across icy roads as I made my way to the long-term parking lot where I had parked the 4Runner. In the five days I was gone it had dumped TWO FEET OF SNOW.

So. There I was. Sockless, in a hoodie, wading through snow drifts in order to get to my truck. I managed to haul all of my crap gear into my vehicle.  The snow was so thick and heavy that the wipers were rendered immobile and could not help me in my quest to, you know, SEE OUT OF MY WINDSHIELD. I then realized that I did not have a brush to assist me. I took off my hoodie, wrapped it around my hand, and brushed the snow off of the truck. Did I mention that I WAS NOT WEARING SOCKS? And that I WAS NOW NOT WEARING ANY KIND OF JACKET?

Cold is an understatement. Canada, you are on notice.

I drove down the highway as fast as I (legally) could, but of course I missed that half-hour window. I got to sit on the highway, a mere fifteen minutes from home, with nothing to do but Twitter my predicament. By the time I got home the kids were fast asleep and my only option was to tiptoe into their rooms to gaze upon their awesomeness.

Tuesday was a day where I hit the ground running. In addition to unpacking, doing laundry and, you know, loving on my offspring, there was work to be done and errands to be ran. While battling the Frozen Tundra. YOU HAVE NO IDEA. Instead of trying to capture the Day Of Catch-Up/Back To Reality/WHY DO WE LIVE HERE?, I will leave you with some more photos from my Second Home; California.

Flowers

Bug

Little Corona

Newport Sunset

Bug at sunset

Happy Wednesday, folks.

comments

Comments:

1. Mrs. Wilson February 4, 2009 2:54 am edit

That completely SUCKS about your vehicle. I CAN imagine how cold you were, and my feet are cold just thinking about it. Yuck.

Beautiful photos. Absolutely gorgeous.

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..Without further ado …

2. witchypoo February 4, 2009 4:18 am edit

I remember one winter when I lived near Moncton, the snow magnet of the Maritimes. I would take the train back from Halifax, where there was grass, and start to weep as I saw the snow accumulating inland. By the time I got back I was just a mess.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Grace The Forth

3. Eric's Mommy February 4, 2009 4:23 am edit

Oh my, sorry you had such a crappy trip home.

Reminds me of the time we had a blizzard and I didn’t have my scraper in my car. I ended up chipping the ice off my windows with a credit card, it took forever!

I am so sick of the snow too.

4. K February 4, 2009 4:38 am edit

Sounds like you had a rough trip home. I’m glad you made it in one piece though.
    Those pictures are breathtaking! I love them!

On a side note, I can’t believe you live in Canada and don’t keep a brush in your car! ;)

5. ali February 4, 2009 7:32 am edit

i thought i was the only canadian who doesn’t always have a brush stashed in my car… ;)

welcome back to the tundra.

ali’s last blog post..bubble girl

6. Domestic Extraordinaire February 4, 2009 7:33 am edit

There is always a brush in my car, even in the summer because Ohio weather is freaky like that and we have had snow storms here as late as May something or other. I am sure you have a perfectly logical reason why there wasn’t a scrapper in your car-but girlie you should put one in there.

P.s the photos are awesome, as always! I especially love the street sign one.

Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..It’s Tuesday again!

7. angella February 4, 2009 7:35 am edit

In my defense, “my” vehicle is the minivan and it has a snow brush. A certain Husband appears to have no need for a snow brush in his vehicle ;)

8. hillary February 4, 2009 9:12 am edit

ugh
    just … ugh

sockless in snow – I would die

hillary’s last blog post..Carbon’s Anniversary The Parting Of The Sensory – 6

9. Sharon February 4, 2009 9:37 am edit

I love the photos!

Coming back to Canada when you’ve been in a warm climate for any amount of time is always a shock to the system, and totally sucks. I usually want to run back onto the airplane and force them to take me back. :)

Sharon’s last blog post..Give me a C!

10. reddirtroad February 4, 2009 9:54 am edit

The photos of your trip to Cali are fantastic! I only wish one day to meet Brenda and Bug in person too.

reddirtroad’s last blog post..Baby Poops and Toots

11. Hannah February 4, 2009 12:24 pm edit

What a bummer that you had to deal with all that – late baggage, snow drifts, not-wearing-enough-clothing, and missing the road opening :-(
    But I am glad you made it home safely. And I love the photos.

Hannah’s last blog post..Nut Farm

12. Shelly February 4, 2009 12:58 pm edit

I’m sorry about your not so pleasant trip home! I have a crappy snow brush and for some reason haven’t bought a better one. I have done the good old find a card in the wallet and scrape away system…so NOT fun! Here in Alberta we’ve gotten our torrential chinook winds to melt the snow and warm up the temperatures, but blah…70km winds=headache.

13. Claire February 4, 2009 1:17 pm edit

You know I NEVER do that Wordless Wednesday thing? Maybe I should; I’d take more pictures that way. And sorry to hear your trip was lousy. Or at least, that part of it.

Claire’s last blog post..1,000th post

14. anji February 4, 2009 4:11 pm edit

OMG, the story of my life… I just moved 13 hours drive north (to the far north of Ontario, instead of just NORTH Ontario) and it’s been -40c every day for the past three days. Insane.

15. Amanda February 4, 2009 4:38 pm edit

As much as I have enjoyed living vicariously through your trip to Cali (no trip at March Break this year for this girl, with or without her hubby), I can’t help but go…hahahahaha! 2 feet of snow! You just made my day. :) If it makes you feel better now that I have that out of my system, two things…one it’s suppose to reach a balmly -20ish here, north of Toronto tonight; and, I cleared 2 feet of snow off our canopies on Sunday, so girl, I can so relate to your tale.
    I am so glad you had a wonderful time. The pics are absolutely wonderful and I almost feel like I was there with you.
    we have been fortunate to have sun for the better part of the day, since Sunday, so those dreaded winter demons have been kept at bay for a bit.

16. Kristin February 4, 2009 4:58 pm edit

That is quite the “welcome home”! I bet a little part of you wanted to get back on the plane and go back!

Love the pics, especially the beach ones!

Kristin’s last blog post..11 Months.

17. Elaine February 4, 2009 5:36 pm edit

Sorry you missed tucking in the kids. I hope you went in and kissed them all.

These photos are all gorgeous! I especially like the sunset ones.

I love that you called Cali your second home. I kinda feel that way too since I was born there and have been back a lot.

Elaine’s last blog post..WW – Looking in the Background

18. Kristabella February 5, 2009 12:21 pm edit

Great photos!

A few years ago, I flew back home to Chicago on Super Bowl Sunday (the Bears were even IN the Super Bowl that year) from Northern California. Since I didn’t want to pack a parka to San Francisco, I had layers and I figured it would be OK. I wasn’t ready for it to be -30 wind chills when I landed and was standing outside on the train platform for 45 minutes. Cold doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Which is a long way of saying I UNDERSTAND.

Kristabella’s last blog post..Another House-Type Post

19. Camels & Chocolate February 6, 2009 8:50 am edit

Your pictures make me so EXCITED to go to LA next month!!! Weeeee! And Bug is just about the cutest kid I’ve ever seen. Love her!

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Photo Friday: Skagen, Denmark