Well, hello there.

I felt a wee bit guilty writing such a somber post and then going so long without an update but (I live a life outside the Internet, and) I was busy. Or “Busy” as stated in that last post. I’m joking, people. I threw up a quick post of my kids in their Sunday best to knock the Depressing out of the number one spot and let you know that I wasn’t crumpled in a heap in the corner. Also, to show off my ridiculously adorable children. I have no qualms in saying so, as they all look remarkably like their Daddy.

In all honesty I am good. Better than good, really. It was like I needed to get it all out so that I could clear my head of the nonsense and just purge the chaos. The only crying I have done since then was due to sweet comments, emails, chats and phone calls. Anyone who hates on Internet friendships needs to be smacked upside the head. Or possibly have the Grumpies hugged out of them by a bunch of kamikaze bloggers.

This is not to say that I won’t go to my doctor for a physical (HOLD ME) or take other steps to keep my equilibrium balanced. In the meantime, I am holding my own.

Part of the freak out of last week had to do with the unknown portions of my work life. I just plowed through week one of eight and it was fine. I’m back in a course I have done for the past five years; I know it like the back of my hand. Twenty-five students is busy, yes, but the stress is only time-related, not content-related. I also talked to the firm I’m returning to in January to discuss the details. Not only will I be working with people I’ve known for eight years (and adore), I’ll be doing a job that’s in my comfort (and knowledge) zone. There’s a (more than) decent salary and benefits to boot. Big, deep, exhale.

I have been on the happy side of life and thought sharing what is making me happy might make you happy. Or at least happy for me. Here goes:

I hold the iTunes conch in our household. Matthew asked me to download some songs by the Jackson 5. Watching the kids shimmy and sing “ABC” is pure awesomesauce.

In the whole “shimmy” vein, watching Emily’s ballet class is a highlight of my week. She does everything that the teacher tells her to, and seems to have a knack for it. She’s also ridiculously cute.

Tippy Toe

Oh, no!

Seriously.

I have always liked gel pens (still do) but recently tried a Sharpie pen. I am in love.

After numerous months and years bragging about the fact that I have neither read Twilight nor watched the movie, said movie showed up on our free movie channel this weekend. We watched it and…liked it. Prepare yourselves, for apparently there will be pigs flying in the near future.

My friend Amy (Amalah) mentioned me in a video over at MamaPop and it brought me no end of laughter. (Amy – I’m pretty sure it was $30, not $70. As I said before, don’t worry about it. You can buy me a bevvie (or two) in New York next August and we’ll call it even.)

The first sip of Diet Coke each day. What can I say? It’s the simple things in life that make the day better.

Footed pajamas.

Jammies!

I asked Kerri Anne for a book recommendation and she told me to buy Neverwhere. I did, and have been engrossed ever since I turned the first page. By “engrossed” I mean “reading in five minute increments while I’m stirring dinner/refereeing bath time/sitting on the can.” Shut up. Don’t even try to tell me you don’t do it as well. (I’m referring to number two and reading on the loo (That rhymes!), in case you were wondering.)

Speaking of Kerri (Cheerleader EXTRAORDINAIRE), she made me sign up for NaNoWriMo. 30 Days. 50,000 words. One novel. It may seem a little, I don’t know, INSANE in light of my recent freak out. If you (I) stop to think about it, I will be “busy” until the end of time (or so). Why not make an attempt now? If I fail, I fail. At least I’m trying, right? Other things may have to give that month, this website included. I’m totally OK with that. If you’ve joined the NaNoWriMo craziness as well, add me as a friend. My user name is…wait for it…Angella. I’m nothing if not original.

Glee.

Graham has started saying phrases such as, “What the…?” “Seriously?” and “Sweet” in context. I laugh every time he does it.

After over a week of rain and fog the sun finally peeked out from behind the clouds. A little sunshine goes a long way. This is a good thing, because it only lasted for twenty-seven minutes. Not that I was timing it or anything.

How about you, friends? What’s making you happy these days?

comments

Comments:

1. C @ Kid Things October 27, 2009 6:25 am edit

No matter how old the child, put him/her in a pair of footie pj’s and they instantly look like a baby again.

My son says “What the…?” and it’s seriously the cutest thing. Sometimes even with his palm to forehead.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..100 =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:09 am edit

Graham does the palm to the forehead too! He also sometimes drops his mouth open.

2. britbricklayer October 27, 2009 6:29 am edit

Angella, I think we are cut from the same cloth or something because when I read your “depressing” post (and the heartfelt/concerned comments galore), all I could think of was how my friends looked at me when I published one of my poems… It was that “Um…are you ok?” scared-I-might-slit-my-wrists-if-I-was-left-alone look. The funny thing was, I was totally fine, and you are too. PURGING THE CHAOS FROM YOUR SOUL IS GOOD FOR YA! :) Just bcz we have a little more emo built up than most people doesn’t mean we’re depressed; it just means we FEEL things deeply… the good and the bad. And if you ask me, life is too short to live any other way.

Ok, that was long, so this will be short(ish). Huzzah for Nanowrimo! I did it for the first time last year and (lost tons of sleep but) finished just in the nick of time. *whew* It is such a rush as a writer, and you will be so proud of yourself for even attempting such a crazy task. I was vacillating between doing it again this year (since I’ll be out of town, um, 3 weekends in Nov), but your post has won me over. I’ll be typing away on my computer whilst you are doing the same on yours.

Thanks for making me feel the camaraderie of chaos-purging AND writing! :) Happy Tuesday, Angella.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:10 am edit

Don’t apologize for the long comment! It made me smile. :)

Here’s to suffering together in November!

3. monstergirlee October 27, 2009 7:14 am edit

Hi, this is a nice post to wake up to today.
    It made me smile too.

btw – I just made the chewy granola bars, waiting for them to cool so I can try them. Can’t wait!
    .-= monstergirlee´s last blog ..Grandpa Sam’s Coffee Grinder =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:12 am edit

Hooray for smiling! And for the granola bars! I hope you liked them. :)

4. Jen October 27, 2009 8:24 am edit

What makes me happy? I can’t tell you. It’s a secret. Shhhhhh …
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Grace in Small Things: Part 8 of 74 =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:13 am edit

OK. That’s not fair. Spill it.

5. kim @ mommyknows October 27, 2009 8:27 am edit

I think I am going to try the NaNoWriMo too. I love the quantity NOT quality aspect of it. Quantity I can do!
    .-= kim @ mommyknows´s last blog ..The Coolest & Creepiest Potion Labels – FREE =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:23 am edit

Another person to suffer with! Hooray!

6. Kerri Anne October 27, 2009 9:37 am edit

I’m so glad this week is better, babe. You deserve happiness. I had a sort of epiphany last week that I think might be appropriate to share here. When The Happy doesn’t seek you out, you can always go grab it for yourself. Word. xoxo
    .-= Kerri Anne´s last blog ..This Is Something; This Is Nothing =-.

7. Kerri Anne October 27, 2009 9:59 am edit

Also! YAY for Neverwhere. I’m on a mission to make the entire world read that book. AND IT’S WORKING. * cue mischievous hand-wringing and cackle-like laughter *
    .-= Kerri Anne´s last blog ..This Is Something; This Is Nothing =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:23 am edit

I’m only about a quarter of the way through and it’s killing me having to read it in such short spurts.

8. Kami's Khlopchyk October 27, 2009 10:20 am edit

So glad you are feelling better, we all have those damn valleys and they sneak up on us. Thankfully we get out of them!

Good luck with the Noblapoma – whatever. – you can do it! And I for one, can’t wait to read it!
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..I Wish =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:28 am edit

Thanks, friend. :)

9. Kristabella October 27, 2009 11:16 am edit

What’s making me happy? Well, something I can’t share on my blog (which sucks) but I think I’ve decided on a career change and have decided I’m going to become a nanny.

*hold me*
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..Click Through! Click Through! =-.

10. Procrastamom October 27, 2009 11:42 am edit

Glad you’re feeling better Angella.

Are you a CGA, CMA or CA? I only ask because I’m currently in my second year of the CGA program in BC and your course work sounds like what my online advisors do…answer questions all day on the bulletin boards, mark assignments, etc.

11. hillary October 27, 2009 12:05 pm edit

The expression on Emily’s face is priceless! What a cutie :)

The sun is making me happy today. The fact that my boss is out of town for 2 weeks is making me Very Happy. Date night tonight (which will include a funny movie and POPCORN!) is making me extremely happy today. And caffeine. Caffeine is getting me through today.
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..When That Blue Heartache Starts Hurtin’ =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:30 am edit

Caffeine is what is keeping me alive.

12. Hannah October 27, 2009 12:26 pm edit

Yay! I am so glad for this post, to know that you are okay and that you are finding happiness in so many great (big and little) things. As for the novel, GO FOR IT! I have been trying to write a book for a few years … not sure when I’ll get around to working on it more, and not sure if I’ll ever finish it, but the process is fun. :-)
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..American Meatloaf =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:31 am edit

Keep at it, Hannah! You’re a great writer. :)

13. Danica October 27, 2009 12:52 pm edit

So funny. I too, have been feeling guilty for letting the whiny depressing post linger on my blog over the weekend, and have one swirling around in my mind about the kids (redirect! redirect!) if only I could get the photos off of the camera (non-coperative technology).
    I love all your little things. It truly is the little things that make each day.
    .-= Danica´s last blog ..Friday Morning; Feeling Better =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 8:35 am edit

Amen.

14. Lisa October 27, 2009 3:18 pm edit

Watching my dd perform in marching band. Working at school…putting the library books away. There is something rather soothing about that. Having friends who stick by me even when I go through a several month period of being down.

1. angella October 28, 2009 9:15 am edit

Great points, Lisa. I’m smiling for you. :)

15. Meg October 27, 2009 5:37 pm edit

I love Mr. Gaiman!
    My cat being a little extra fussy because he’s hungry is making me happy right now :)
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..What I like about yoooou =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 9:21 am edit

Another Neverwhere fan! Hooray!

16. Loralee October 27, 2009 6:32 pm edit

Currently it would be my wee butterbean. He has discovered the joy of sticking his tongue out and I have discovered the joy of watching it.

.-= Loralee´s last blog ..My first wedding day =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 9:22 am edit

Oh…so sweet. I wish I could meet your little butterbean.

17. JenniferB October 27, 2009 6:54 pm edit

I loved my girls’ weekend I just got to have last weekend, chocolate, diet cherry Pepsi, beef stroganoff, and cuddling my kiddos!

1. angella October 28, 2009 9:30 am edit

I’m in need of a girls’ weekend. Or a girls’ night! I have two coming up…

18. Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire October 28, 2009 8:36 am edit

happiness is reading that post-I can almost feel the relief as you painted how you are doing lately.

And aren’t sharpies awesome? I have far too many for a normal human being…good thing I am not normal…LOL!
    .-= Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday-Saying Good bye =-.

1. angella October 28, 2009 9:34 am edit

Sharpies make me happy. The end. :)

19. sizzle October 28, 2009 9:15 am edit

I love happy lists. I should make one of these. Follow my BlogHer roomies lead! ;-)

GLEE makes me so gleeful!
    .-= sizzle´s last blog ..I *Think* I Might Have a Problem =-.

20. Mama in the City October 28, 2009 5:34 pm edit

There sure is something sweet about footie pajamas. Love them on my boy too!!
    .-= Mama in the City´s last blog ..Disney Princesses; Sex Objects or Role Models? =-.