The day that I have simultaneously been looking forward to and dreading has arrived.

I mentioned back in June that Nathan’s unclear speech and occasional clumsiness led us to wonder if maybe he had a problem with his hearing.  He does. The good news is that it is not permanent; it is due to fluid in his ears. The bad news is that to clear it up he has to have tubes put in.

I know in my head that this is a good thing, that all will be fine, that he will come through like a trooper.  My heart seems to have some fluid on its ears as well, for the reassurance from my head does not seem to be penetrating the fog.

I know that many families have dealt with far graver circumstances.  I get that, and I cannot fathom the heartache that comes from having a child who is really ill.

My little family has had no medical drama to speak of. The only trip Nathan has ever made to the ER was to check his lungs after our house fire (His oxygen level was 100%). We have had nothing beyond the normal coughs, colds and flu. No broken bones, no serious illnesses, nothing.  We are blessed, indeed.

I have been put under anesthetic twice in my life and it was absolutely awful.  The first time was after my knee surgery when I was twenty. I remember waking up and being on a gurney in the hallway with nobody nearby. Uncomfortable, confused, alone. Even after arriving home I was dizzy, incoherent, nauseous.

It took me a whole day just to recover from the anesthetic.

I am praying that Nathan comes through it all fine. That the doctor has steady hands, that the tubes do what they are supposed to do. That Nathan will not be afraid, that he will recover quickly, that he will know that we are doing this to help him to live his life to the fullest.

That when he opens his eyes upon waking up he sees his Mommy’s face smiling down on him.

Please join me and pray for my sweet little boy.

And maybe his Momma too.

**Update:

We are home and Nathan (and I!) had a nap.  He was a hit with the nurses, which is not really shocking.  He is feeling good and is sitting here colouring while I type this. The plan is to lay low, but he is already asking if he can ride his bike…

Thanks to everyone for your love and prayers. We are blessed, indeed.

comments

Comments:

1. Camels & Chocolate September 25, 2008 1:02 am edit

Oh, poor thing! But I know he’ll be just fine. Hugs to you both!

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Whine Country

2. Robyn September 25, 2008 1:11 am edit

I’ll be praying for you both. I’m hoping you’ll be happily surprised by how well Nathan handles it all, and that the tubes do a great job. Please update when you can.

Robyn’s last blog post..The post I’ve been waiting to publish

3. karen September 25, 2008 1:45 am edit

I had surgery when I was 19 and my mom was still worried sick even though I was (technically) an adult. I think it was partly because she had bad reactions to anesthetic as well (also partly because she still sees me as her “baby” as I am the youngest!). I came through fine and saw my mama’s smiling face in the doorway when I came to :)
    Your baby boy will be fine and you are more likely more scared than he is. Little kids especially are amazingly resilient. I will be praying for you both that everything goes smoothly and he’s back to hugging and fighting over toys with his siblings in no time ;)

karen’s last blog post..k’s mosaic

4. Dayna September 25, 2008 2:43 am edit

Good luck little man! Love you :)

Dayna’s last blog post..Excuse Me As I Die From Boredom

5. Hannah September 25, 2008 3:03 am edit

I have been in your shoes exactly, and I know JUST how you feel. You know things could be WAY worse, but it doesn’t take away the nerves. My prayers are with Nathan, his surgeon, and his mommy! Big ((Hugs)) and try if you can to look foward to the end result … Tyler was like a different boy after his op.

Hannah’s last blog post..Four years old

6. slynnro September 25, 2008 3:20 am edit

Despite the fact that I constantly had hideous ear infections as a child, I was pretty much the only kid I knew WITHOUT tubes. Hopefully this will save him some of the agony I endured!

slynnro’s last blog post..Scenes from a Marriage: I’m Tired From My Business Trip and This is All I Got Ed.

7. Kimber September 25, 2008 4:29 am edit

Awwww, wishing your little guy a smooth and speedy recovery.

Kimber’s last blog post..Have Ticket, Will Travel

8. Lisa C. September 25, 2008 4:59 am edit

Praying without ceasing in South Carolina! My nerves would be the same as yours! I’m sure everything will be ok … just ask the Lord to guide the dr … that’s all that we can do! Please keep us updated on how AWESOME he is doing afterwards! :)

9. Amanda September 25, 2008 5:28 am edit

Speech-Pathologist by trade and mom with tubed kids (that sounds funny)….it was/is such a minor procedure…my kiddo was in/out in less than 4 minutes…woke up and told the Dr…..that is a funny hat you have!!! Our hospital gave a little cocktail so she had no idea she was leaving us…I think they should put these in at birth! Good luck…take pics!

Amanda’s last blog post..Two!

10. LVGurl September 25, 2008 6:39 am edit

I had tubes put in when I was 4, and I still remember parts of that day! Not because it was traumatic, but it was eventful! I remember waking up and feeling really weird, but I recall by the end of the day I was ready to not be in bed anymore ;)

Little Miss Mel’s son had tubes put in last year — she’ll probably chime in shortly — I know that Rt was in and out before she could even grab something to drink. And he recovered in a snap. From what I understand, the anesthetic is far more brief for tube surgery, and the kids aren’t “under” for very long.

Paige had a benign cyst in her scalp (resting on her skull) that had to be removed when she was 7 months old. She was under a general anesthetic for a little over an hour; I have to say, I dreaded that more then the actual procedure! I was sick about it for days, weeks beforehand! It took her most of the day and evening to get all of it out of her system, but she back to her old self (complete with a Frankenstein gash atop her head!) the next morning.

Our kids are resilient! Please know that. I know you have faith, and Nathan will come of this a trooper! Sending thoughts and prayers your way!

LVGurl’s last blog post..Fun pottery, great cause

11. Jen September 25, 2008 7:16 am edit

It’s scary no matter how minor or routine the process is. I just said a little prayer for him right now!

Jen’s last blog post..Birthday Girl

12. joyce September 25, 2008 7:18 am edit

Praying for the speediest recovery for Nathan…and that you don’t go koo-koo with worry!

13. sizzle September 25, 2008 7:21 am edit

Thinking of Nathan today and praying for a quick recovery!

sizzle’s last blog post..Unapologetically Me

14. Kristin September 25, 2008 7:28 am edit

I will pray for you both.

oh and the last pic is totally cute! :)

15. whoorl September 25, 2008 7:29 am edit

I’ll be thinking of you all! xo

whoorl’s last blog post..La Plates Giveaway

16. She Likes Purple September 25, 2008 7:31 am edit

Thinking of the whole family.

She Likes Purple’s last blog post..What I Would Own if Money or Large Bellies Were No Object

17. Tracy September 25, 2008 7:37 am edit

Awww it’s hard to see your kids have to go to the the hospital. But coming from someone who had tubes put in her ears probably a handful of times, I’m not traumatized at all! The one part of the surgery I remember is the doctor making a rooster head out of a rubber glove before I went to sleep :) And the other parts I remember were getting to pick a very cool present after each trip to the hospital :)

It will probably be harder on you – I’m sure it was on my mom. But it’s a quick little procedure and you’ll all be home together really quick!

Tracy’s last blog post..To Cut or Not to Cut?

18. Carolyn September 25, 2008 7:57 am edit

That’s definitely hard to deal with as a parent.

I work in the operating room and take comfort in knowing that it’s literally a 30 second procedure and that they won’t actually “put him under”. They’ll most likely just give him a little gas to knock him out which wears off really quickly when they’re done. I understand that it still seems scary but the results will be totally worth it. Hang in there!

19. Mrs. Wilson September 25, 2008 8:00 am edit

Definitely dude. You can count on the prayer!

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..Children of Jen Squared

20. Jill - GlossyVeneer September 25, 2008 8:17 am edit

My thoughts and prayers are with you both! Anesthetic can be rough. I find I have pretty bad reactions to prescription pain killers, so in general I find medicines kind of scary at times!

Jill – GlossyVeneer’s last blog post..Fundraising Drawing!

21. ali September 25, 2008 8:29 am edit

i’m pretty sure my Josh is going to be having the same exact surgery.

see? we are total twins.

22. Heidi F September 25, 2008 8:36 am edit

Aw – I love that little guy, and will be praying for him (and you) today.

23. Kate September 25, 2008 9:00 am edit

Am praying like crazy for you, Nathan and family!

Kate’s last blog post..It Positively Hurt

24. Jazz September 25, 2008 9:01 am edit

I will be thinking of you all….

XXOO

25. hills September 25, 2008 9:03 am edit

You and Nathan have a lot of people pulling for you – just think of what that positive energy can accomplish :) Hopefully today will be so uneventful that Nathan doesn’t even remember it.

hills’s last blog post..The Angel And The Jerk

26. Sharon September 25, 2008 9:20 am edit

Sending all my prayers your way this morning.

Sharon’s last blog post..Meeting a friend for the first time

27. Tamara September 25, 2008 9:55 am edit

Camille and I prayed for him this morning. And you.

28. monstergirlee September 25, 2008 10:03 am edit

You and Nathan will be in my prayers. Good luck. I’ll be send you both lots of hand-holding thoughts too.

monstergirlee’s last blog post..Another Image from Hot-Rod-A-Rama

29. monstergirlee September 25, 2008 10:04 am edit

Oh, and I wanted to add – Thank God its nothing permanent.

monstergirlee’s last blog post..Another Image from Hot-Rod-A-Rama

30. autumn dahlia September 25, 2008 11:04 am edit

You & your little boy are in my thoughts! I’ve seen lots of kids get them and it goes off without a hitch. I’m sure this will too. Big hugs!

autumn dahlia’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday – Happy 9th Birthday T!

31. Meg September 25, 2008 11:08 am edit

Sending you all my positive thoughts today!
    As a non-tubed former kid with mild hearing problems (and now adult with mild hearing problems), I’m actually somewhat jealous, to be honest. I wish my doctor in the Yukon when I was young had been able to do this, it would have saved me from a lot of earaches, and hopefully, from the hearing loss I have now. Even if it’s mild loss, it’s still annoying!
    Your boy is a strong one, I’m sure he’ll be back to normal in no time at all!

Meg’s last blog post..Bedtime

32. Rhi September 25, 2008 12:38 pm edit

My half-brother had tubes in his ears when he was 3 or so. I was 6 and SO JEALOUS because at the hospital they gave his Farfield (Garfield) a hospital bracelet.

Rhi’s last blog post..You know what annoys me?

33. Kami September 25, 2008 1:49 pm edit

You know I have been through the same thing but it sounds to me like Nathan took it all in stride. Jack was really groggy when he woke up and pretty upset. Par for the course though.

Yay for getting it done and out of the way!

Kami’s last blog post..Can you imagine?

34. angella September 25, 2008 2:01 pm edit

Nathan was groggy and upset when he woke up too – I think it is par for the course. It took me a good five minutes or so to get him calmed down :(

Once he had a nap at home he was back to his normal self :)

35. The Over-Thinker September 25, 2008 6:25 pm edit

Oh I’m so glad that he’s doing well! (THANK YOU for doing an update) I’ll pray that he continues to mend well. And I’ll pray for you, too. :)

The Over-Thinker’s last blog post..Another one for the “Holy Crap I was a HUGE DORK”-Pile

36. Michele September 25, 2008 11:21 pm edit

I’m glad to hear Nathan (and his mom) are doing well! As I was driving to work this morning you guys were in my thoughts and prayers. Going under can be such an unpleasant thing, but I’m glad things worked out ok!