I don’t write about Graham as much as I did when he was a pre-schooler. I would post about stories like the swimming levels that he’d passed and that time HE POOPED ON THE TOILET. That was BIG NEWS, in those days.

As he’s grown older, I share less about his life. His stories aren’t mine to tell and he’s started to write his own stories. His life intersects with mine — it always will — but I try to respect his privacy. That said, I’m still a Mom, standing in front of a computer, asking my friends if they understand how I’m feeling.

This child of mine, my first born, will be nine this month. NINE. Because he is (almost) nine, he is not always ready for bed at 8:00 when his siblings are. He is allowed to stay up if he either reads or writes and on Saturday night, he wrote.

An 8:00 bedtime doesn't always work for Graham, what with him being ALMOST NINE. He's allowed to stay up if he reads or writes. Tonight, he's writing.

As I shared that photo and typed out his age I was a little bit gobsmacked. My firstborn is (almost) nine. ALMOST NINE.

I still remember the day of his birth and I remember that day when he was about six-months-old in the baby swing and I had him doing the belly laugh (at my hair)(babies love it) and I remember his Frankenstein first steps on Christmas Day and, oh.

I asked him yesterday if he was going to turn into a surly teenager who no longer puts his arm around me when singing at church or who wouldn’t let me hug him or who would no longer sit with me on the couch. He said no. I hope that’s our reality.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah December 5, 2011 12:45 am edit

They really do grow up SO fast. When I look at my 9-year-old, I see a teenage boy! He seems to have jumped about 5 years in the last 5 months.

Like you, I hope my boys will always want hugs and affection from me. I think they will. It seems that – most of the time – boys always love their mamas.

2. rachel joy December 5, 2011 1:27 am edit

I love this picture. And I totally get what you’re saying! My first born isn’t far behind yours, and those thoughts run through my mind with increasing frequency. My husband, who was a particularly challenging teen, says his mother’s finest quality is her calloused knees, for the hours she spent praying for him. He turned out alright. She tells me that she did all the hard work in raising him, it’s up to me now to do the fine-tuning!

3. Moree December 5, 2011 6:07 am edit

I remember nine so well. I just married his dad (he had custody) a glorious age. Now he is almost 30 and having our 1st grandbaby! Geez. Life goes by so fast, but what a great life it’s been thus far. ENJOY them everyday!

4. Kami December 5, 2011 9:09 am edit

Yes, THAT. Me too, me too.

:-)

5. Mrs. Wilson December 5, 2011 10:02 am edit

Awwww!!

Kids. They grow up SO quickly. When Kaylie turned 10 this summer (DOUBLE DIGITS, OMG!) I went into denial. My kid is NOT growing up. NO. I’m not ready!

That’s a pretty awesome boy you’ve got there.

6. domestic extraordinaire December 5, 2011 10:20 am edit

I know how you feel because Giggles will be seventeen on Friday-SEVENTEEN! I feel like just yesterday I was holding this baby that would never let me put her down and I tried to make a sling out of a bed sheet and well let’s just say that didn’t go over well but my arms, they felt like they were going to fall off. Thanks to her I have a nice right hip in which babes love to perch on (no lie I switch them to the left side and they get a bit upset.) And…..

geez I have no idea where this comment was headed. Love you girlie!

7. Kristabella December 5, 2011 10:25 am edit

I love that photo! And that he loves to write!

8. Ashley December 5, 2011 11:23 am edit

It’s when the idea of being able to “freeze” time sounds excellent. Sometimes even just for a moment more…or eternity.

9. mommyknows December 5, 2011 11:45 am edit

Happy birthday Graham!

NINE?!

Of all my children, Sam my only son has stayed the most affectionate the longest. It obviously has a lot to do with his personality, but it seems to me that the boys don’t hit the ‘teen snark’ years until way after the girls.

10. C @ Kid Things December 5, 2011 11:48 am edit

My oldest turned 8 last month. And I still can’t even comprehend that. It’s amazing and beautiful to see who they’re growing into, but I swear I can remember when he was a baby just like it was yesterday.

11. hillary December 5, 2011 1:58 pm edit

Babies should not be allowed to grow up! G’s first tooth broke through a few days ago and I was all “he’s going to growing up and one day he’s going to leeeeaaaave meeeeee.” Not my finest moment.

I love that Graham is following your lead and writing his stories :)

12. Sherry December 5, 2011 8:12 pm edit

Hayley just turned NINE in September (what?! how?) and one of my greatest joys in life is that she is perfectly happy to walk down the street holding my hand.

I will hold that hand until she won’t let me anymore. (hmmm I sense a blog post)

13. Ninabi December 6, 2011 9:21 pm edit

They do grow so fast. The chapters of their lives- babies, toddlers, preschoolers, elementary school students- the story seems to start slowly and then the pages are turned faster and faster still.

Here I am with my children in their twenties but I can go to my bookcase and flip through photo albums and it seems like yesterday that they were small.

Enjoy these years. You have a beautiful, smart family and it’s been a joy watching your kids grow up through your blog.

14. Rhi December 7, 2011 5:36 pm edit

GAH. Just the title of this post makes me tear up. Hello, postpartum hormones!

Anyway, what a wonderful boy you have :-). He is a cutie.