On Sunday afternoon Matthew and I left the kids at home with my brother, picked up three friends of hours and headed to the coast. We had bought tickets for the David Crowder concert a few months ago and had been looking forward to it ever since. Driving three hours for a concert may seem a little loco, but it really isn’t that crazy. The true insanity was when the concert ended at 10 pm; we all piled back into the van and then drove the three hours back home. Yes. Yes, we did.

We wouldn’t make such a trip for just any band. We get our fair share of great musicians who tour here in the Okanagan. We saw the Barenaked Ladies (the band, not the strip club employees) a few years ago and had a great night out last winter at a Jann Arden concert (We sat front row centre!) In fact, a few of us girls are going to see Jann again next month. We’ve seen a number of musicians play at local pubs and restaurants; we love to listen to live music and are lucky to have so many opportunities to do so close to home.

The David Crowder Band has been a favorite of ours for years and we’ve never had the opportunity to see them. The closest they were coming to us was Abbotsford and so a whirlwind road trip was planned. Everyone (including my brother) had to work on Monday, which meant that staying over was not an option. We didn’t crawl into bed until almost 2am early Monday morning. I spent the entire day with my eyeballs on fire, my stomach churning with nausea and my head pounding to a steady rhythm. I didn’t look too hot, either. I was Monday Meh personified. The question is, was it worth it?

Absolutely.

I don’t know how you feel about music, but everyone likes music to some degree. If you don’t like music in any form I will have to assume that your heart consists of blackened coal. For me, music is a large part of my life. I listen to music when I get ready in the morning, when I work, when I cook meals, when I’m driving…pretty much during anything that I’m doing. Some songs make me contemplative, some bring back fond memories, some make me heart smile. So, yeah. Music is a huge part of my life and of how I make it through the day. Live music is on a whole ‘nother level. Every time we see someone live I wonder why we don’t see more concerts than we already do or maybe spend a summer following some of our favorite bands around. I’m kidding. Maybe.

It’s no secret that I’ve been struggling a bit over here. Some things are external and beyond my control. Some things are internal and have been going through my mind over and over and over. I wondered this past week if I was going through some kind of mid-life crisis. I’m not out buying sports cars or a new wardrobe that would be better suited for a teenager but I’ve just been feeling…unsettled. A night spent with good friends listening to music that not only pleased the ears but also soothed my soul was exactly what I needed. Despite the lack of sleep I feel refreshed, renewed and refocused.

I feel good. I will probably feel amazing once I finally get caught up on my sleep. I’m getting far too old for that late night/early morning bedtime nonsense.

Us

David Crowder Band

Oh, Happiness

*David Crowder Band. Who else? It seemed fitting.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah October 20, 2009 1:59 am edit

Awesome! Can totally relate to driving 3 hours each way for a concert; sounds like something we’d do too!
    DCB are amazing, they came to NZ last year for Parachute (huge Christian music festival) and they rocked! Glad you were able to see them live.

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:49 pm edit

That’s awesome that they came over there. Lucky you!

2. Melissa October 20, 2009 4:53 am edit

I love the David Crowder Band! I’ve never seen them live but I’m sure they’re amazing.

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:50 pm edit

They really were – I hope you get to see them sometime!

3. i.e. October 20, 2009 6:45 am edit

We were lucky enough to have David Crowder lead worship at our church one weekend…it was amazing.
    And this weekend while attending a different church I heard “How He Loves” by John Mark McMillan for the first time which I found out DCB covers (with one lyrical change).
    You may or may not want to check out John Mark McMillan too…he has a music player on his sight. http://johnmarkmcmillan.blogspot.com

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:51 pm edit

I’ll check it out for sure. And you had Dave lead at your church? LUCKY YOU :)

4. hillary October 20, 2009 7:41 am edit

you guys are crazy! but in a good way :)
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..Come To The City On A Saturday Night =-.

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:51 pm edit

Says the one who drove 17 hours straight to California :)

5. Kami's Khlopchyk October 20, 2009 8:31 am edit

Sometimes you just have to stay up late for the good stuff, sounds like it was well worth it!

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:52 pm edit

It really, truly was.

6. Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire October 20, 2009 8:33 am edit

sounds like a fantastic time! So jealous as hubs would never do that…well he did once. The tickets were a gift, he was actually working out of town (3 hrs away) he got off work, drove home & picked me up, went to the concert and then we went home (getting there at 2 AM) where he woke at 4:30 AM to get back to where he was working. Only to come home the next night. It was fun, but he was exhausted and said he would never do it again!
    .-= Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..A Thank You & A Give Away =-.

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:53 pm edit

Wow. He’s tougher than I am! I don’t blame him for making it the last time though.

7. Jen October 20, 2009 8:37 am edit

SO JEALOUS!!

I love them.

And your photos? Wow. Professional quality. Seriously. And the one of you and Matthew is pretty cute :)
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Grace in Small Things: Part 1 of 74 =-.

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:53 pm edit

Aw, thanks.

8. ali October 20, 2009 9:09 am edit

I’m so glad you did something that made you feel so great! also? that picture of you guys is soooo great!
    .-= ali´s last blog ..I told them that I was king of the where the wild things are. They just didn’t want to listen. =-.

1. angella October 21, 2009 1:54 pm edit

Thanks! He hates being in photos, but he was happy about the concert :)

9. Tamara October 20, 2009 9:58 am edit

Awesome photo of you and Matthew! Glad you had a good time.

10. Sharon October 20, 2009 10:36 am edit

Glad you had a great time! It’s so fun to go on a road trip for a concert. Since I live so close to Seattle, I’ve done that several times, if the band isn’t making a stop in Vancouver. I spend most of my fun money on concerts, and have seen some AMAZING shows over the years. Live music is one of my favourite things on earth.

I’m actually headed to Vegas this weekend specifically to see U2 in concert – that’s how much of a diehard fan I am! LOL. We’ve always wanted to go to Vegas, and throwing in a concert by our favourite band on top of the awesomeness of just GOING to Vegas makes the trip full of extra awesomesauce! :D
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..Two Days! =-.

11. Ashley October 20, 2009 11:38 am edit

Looks like fun, we had a pile of friends go to that and said it was excellent. Great photo of you and Matthew, but I must say, ever since you posted that skit, I don’t look at your man the same way, heehee. Even my 89 year old Grammie had a laugh at his antics (and Corey wants to know who the other partner was).
    Glad you had fun and made it home safe.
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..What they said. =-.

12. Danica October 20, 2009 1:07 pm edit

Okay, I’m very jealous over here. If I had known they’d be in Abbotsford, I may have seen you there. But I didn’t know. How could I not know? I need some fuuuuuun. Waaaaaaaah.
    Sorry.
    .-= Danica´s last blog ..Have a Bilateral Conversation (If you’re a blogger, I tag you!) =-.

13. Karmyn October 20, 2009 5:17 pm edit

Jealous. I LA-la-love DC*B. Even walked down the aisle to one of their songs.

Glad it was a good night!
    .-= Karmyn´s last blog ..On the Move =-.

1. angella October 21, 2009 6:59 pm edit

You walked down the aisle to them? Awesomesauce.

14. erin October 20, 2009 7:54 pm edit

i was there too! front row in the crushing hot crowd, but that’s the perks of having your husband on staff at the host church :) it twas an amazing night and i was tired even though i only had a 15 min drive home!

15. kim @ mommyknows October 20, 2009 10:07 pm edit

I love your photos, especially the last image. It is awesome.

I gave up concerts quite a while ago. I’d find myself clock watching and willing it over. I tend to only really like one or two songs on an albumn and so the same thing happens at the concert.

I’ve seen dozens and dozens though :)

I am happy you got out and had fun. ROAD TRIP!
    .-= kim @ mommyknows´s last blog ..Laugh Out Loud =-.

1. angella October 21, 2009 7:00 pm edit

ROAD TRIP, indeed! Next time we’ll just make it less of a whirlwind. :)

16. Greg October 21, 2009 8:29 pm edit

Hi! Found your site today and really enjoyed this post about seeing the David Crowder Band live. Anyway, I love live music too and think that you have a great blog site. By the way, your photography is excellent!

-Greg
    .-= Greg´s last blog ..Teaching Kids How To Interact With Family Pets Isn’t Easy =-.