A common theme around here is my hatred of Winter. You know that I hate winter, I know that I hate winter, the entire free world knows that I hate winter. Hate sounds like such a harsh word though. Detest? Abhor? I don’t know…I just don’t like it.

I have tried to have a better attitude this year by finding joy in the little things and seeing the grace in small things.  My mood is much better than it has been in previous winters, but there is a fact that still remains. It is colder here than any human being should have to endure. Being on the Western side of Canada, we do not even have it as bad as much of the rest of the country; hats off to you guys but this is (barely) as much as I can take.

On Friday afternoon I Twittered and Facebooked about the fact that my husband had a Man Cold. The tweet led to Buzz Bishop (Popular Vancouver radio DJ, in case you did not know) asking me if I would be on his radio show (2PM! PST! Today!) (Audio clip to follow for those who don’t catch it live).

(Here is the clip!)

The thread on my Facebook status got to the point where Whoorl told me to “Come to California, lady!” I have loved California since I was wee and would live there if we could find work, health care, and also also remain Canadians.  I love my country, yo.

Matthew read the status thread and told me that I should go. To California. By myself. Not only did he tell me to go, he ordered me to go. Heading away together is not an option (Who wants to watch three kids?) and with his new snowmobile(s) he has actually been loving winter. Me…not so much. He loves me and wants me to be happy. The sun makes me happy, so…

I looked to see if there were any great deals on airfare. After a flurry of emails between Whoorl, SAJ (My banner designer!), and Bethany, plans were rolling and my flight was booked.  For Thursday. As in, THREE DAYS FROM NOW.

My trip will include “dottery” (Pottery with dots painted on) with Bethany (She lives in San Diego; I HAVE NEVER BEEN). I will then splitting the rest of my nights between Whoorl and SAJ and meeting up with a few other blog friends.

I also plan to blow the dust off of my (Poor, neglected) camera and take some photos. Woo to the hoo!

Saturday and Sunday are pretty much unplanned. So far. As long as I am outside and IN THE SUN I will be a happy girl. I have not seen that yellow orb in far too long. It is stupid, really.

I will end this post with a very eloquent thought.

HOLYFREAKINGCRAPIAMGOINGTOCALIFORNIA.

comments

Comments:

1. Mrs. Wilson January 26, 2009 1:14 am edit

Enough about your freakin’ trip to San Diego! I get it already!

Enjoy the sun deary, and soak up the hotness for the rest of us!! Your gift to us (me) is the photos that you bring back. As previously stated, I’m very much looking forward to photos that DO NOT include snow.

HAVE FUN!!

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..It’s all in my head

2. witchypoo January 26, 2009 1:43 am edit

Sweet! Matthew is sending you to Cali so he can make out with his new lovah, the snowmobile.
    Watch out for those Whoorlgaritas!

witchypoo’s last blog post..Sleepless

3. bethany actually January 26, 2009 2:12 am edit

I have only one thing to say.

*ahem*

YAAAAAAAAYAYAYAAAAY!

See you in THREE DAYS!

(Okay, that was two things. So sue me, all this sunshine and the warm temps in SoCal tend to addle the brain, you know. ;-))

bethany actually’s last blog post..glass + fire + heights + kids = photoshoot fun!

4. joyce January 26, 2009 4:33 am edit

Yay!

And I think that’s soooo cool that one of your twitters has led to you being on the radio. Weird, but cool!

5. Jen January 26, 2009 5:29 am edit

How did I not know this?? Have a GREAT time!

6. Kimber January 26, 2009 5:30 am edit

How absolutely awesome. I’ve never been to Cali myself. My husband is from SoCal though and his family is all still there. Someday soon I’ll jump on board for that adventure.

Enjoy yourself.

Kimber’s last blog post..Not Me! Monday

7. ali January 26, 2009 6:05 am edit

you already know how jealous i am…:)

but this is so awesome! you are going to have the best time (AND you get some nice weather too!)

ali’s last blog post..How a Kirstie Alley movie has quickly risen to become my all-time favorite

8. Jenn January 26, 2009 6:14 am edit

Wow, so cool. So cool for your husband to insist you go away and leave him with the three kids. So cool that you have made good enough friends through the internet that you can stay at their houses. And amazing that it all worked out.

Jenn

Jenn’s last blog post..Saturday Night

9. Dominique January 26, 2009 7:26 am edit

I just got back from So.California at the begining of the month. I am a cali girl at heart born and raised, but a now transplant to Houston, TX! I hope you enjoy you’re self and from seeing the photos of where SAJ and Whoorl live it will be much better senery than when I went back. Oh yeah and make sure you eat an In & Out burger otherwise you haven’t truly experienced L.A.

10. metalia January 26, 2009 7:50 am edit

Lucky you!! You’re going to have such a great time; give them all big hugs from me! :)

metalia’s last blog post..The Rural Juror

11. Sharon January 26, 2009 7:51 am edit

Hooray for California! I’m so happy that you’re getting a chance to escape the cold for a few days. Hope you enjoy every minute of sunshine!

Sharon’s last blog post..5 Things About Me

12. sizzle January 26, 2009 7:53 am edit

How awesome! I sincerely hope it is sunny and beautiful when you arrive in California. I swear that state can chase the blues away.

sizzle’s last blog post..Honesty Is Such a Lonely Word

13. Kami January 26, 2009 8:07 am edit

I am very excited for you! Have a blast and I look forward to the pictures from your trip ;)

Kami’s last blog post..Brothers Forever

14. Kristabella January 26, 2009 8:11 am edit

SO JEALOUS! You’re going to have a blast!

Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Kristabella’s last blog post..Further Proof I’m Three Years Old

15. Laurie January 26, 2009 8:20 am edit

Congratulations!

Good to read some good news on this -49 C Monday-morning-with-a-sick-baby.

Have fun!

Laurie’s last blog post..What babies do…

16. slynnro January 26, 2009 8:20 am edit

Jealous!

slynnro’s last blog post..At laaaaaaaaaaasssstttt.

17. Amanda Brown January 26, 2009 8:36 am edit

Do you happen to have a large-ish duffel bag? And would be willing to pay the extra fee for it to be over the weight limit? By like 100 pounds? So that a human could hide in there and go with you? Just wondering.

Amanda Brown’s last blog post..Hungry Mondays Week 13: Same Old

18. Kristin January 26, 2009 8:37 am edit

Sweet! Have fun!

Kristin’s last blog post..On Her Birthday.

19. Mel January 26, 2009 9:17 am edit

YA!! For vacations. I am still trying to convince James to move to somewhere tropical. Right now I am thinking of Greece after seeing Mama Mia. LOL!! I love that type of open housing…and the SUN!! I am not giving up on my dream just putting it on hold. There is no sun in sight for me anytime soon but hopefully I can do a trip back to Victoria in May and that will make me happy enough for now. Have fun in California, San Diego is awesome. Had so much fun there!!

Mel’s last blog post..And the cherry on top….

20. hillary January 26, 2009 10:08 am edit

Ohhh I am jealooouusss! Matthew kind of freaking rocks.
    Have fun!

hillary’s last blog post..It’s Never Too Late We’ve Still Got Time

21. Loralee January 26, 2009 10:37 am edit

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!

You are going to have a fabulous time. Give everyone a hug from me!!!!

Loralee’s last blog post..An open letter of apology

22. mommyknows January 26, 2009 10:51 am edit

Fun! Fun! Fun! –> Enjoy the sun. Take lots of photos :)

mommyknows’s last blog post..Photography 1/365

23. Nicole January 26, 2009 10:52 am edit

I’m glad to hear about your sunny plans! Have a great trip! Also, happy belated birthday.

24. Lee January 26, 2009 11:47 am edit

Woot!!!!!

Have fun in the sun.

I listen to Buzz everyday…..I will make sure I don’t leave my desk at 2!!!!

25. Janssen January 26, 2009 11:47 am edit

Oh, I’m thrilled for you! What a fun vacation that will be. I know all too well that feeling of NEEDING warm weather.

Janssen’s last blog post..Nerd’s Christmas

26. Rebecca (Bearca) January 26, 2009 11:59 am edit

California is excited! :)

Rebecca (Bearca)’s last blog post..good, bad, ugly

27. Danica January 26, 2009 12:29 pm edit

I’m happy for you. And jealous. Very very jealous.

Danica’s last blog post..Cute Newt

28. Chris January 26, 2009 1:11 pm edit

Woo-Hoo! I am so very excited that you will finally be able to escape the dark days of arctic winter and frolic in the summery breezes of coastal SoCal. In an earlier post you asked what else one might try besides shopping at TJs and eating a “Double Double with cheese” at In ‘n’ Out. How about Sprinkles cupcakes and Pinkberry frozen yoghurt. ENJOY!!!

Chris’s last blog post..Grace in Small Things – Take VI

29. ELizabeth January 26, 2009 4:41 pm edit

Should be delightful!! Have a safe trip!

ELizabeth’s last blog post..Which will they be?

30. becky January 26, 2009 10:06 pm edit

Holy crap, woman! I live in San Diego! You’ll love it hear. Was a little chilly today, but I’m sure it was warmer than where you are now. We should have weather in the 70s by the time you get here. As our welcome to you. Of course.

becky’s last blog post..There comes a point in time

31. monstergirlee January 26, 2009 10:12 pm edit

Oh YAY!!!!! A little warmth and sun will do you soooo much goooood. I cannot wait to see your pictures. Ah, ok I’m just a teeny bit jealous too.

monstergirlee’s last blog post..Or What!?!?!

32. tanneal January 26, 2009 10:26 pm edit

Just listened to your voice on the radio…you sound SO cute and SO nice!!

Have a WONDERful time away in the SUN!! =)

33. Domestic Extraordinaire January 27, 2009 4:56 am edit

Have a blast! I do miss San Diego so could you have a California Burrito for me. They have them no where else as good and I miss them so!

Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..It’s Tuesday again!

34. Camels & Chocolate January 27, 2009 12:41 pm edit

While I am still bummed you are not coming to San Fran to see ME (hey, I bet it’s warmer here now than when you came for BlogHer! And about 70 degrees more than it is in Canada!), I am Super! Excited! for you.

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Taking the Plunge in the Great Barrier Reef

35. Trenches of Mommyhood January 27, 2009 1:26 pm edit

Have fun – soak up that sun!

Trenches of Mommyhood’s last blog post..A Letter To A Fellow Employee

36. Rhi January 27, 2009 7:18 pm edit

Oh my gosh! SO FUN, SO FUN, SO FUN.

Rhi’s last blog post..A Tale of Two Weddings

37. teeni January 27, 2009 8:58 pm edit

Your hubby is awesome. I love that you two love and trust each other enough to be able to spend some time apart. I think that helps keep you interesting to each other too. I’m so glad you’ll be able to get some of your beloved sun! I like to think I’m an island girl at heart myself so although I’m not a sun worshipper, I definitely thrive more in the warmer climates. :)

teeni’s last blog post..Goodies and a New Look

38. Michele January 27, 2009 9:38 pm edit

Yahoo!!! Hooray for you! I loved the radio interview, you sounded great! You’re such a celebrity :) Have a fabulous time in California, you deserve it!!!

39. Fred Vanderbom January 27, 2009 10:43 pm edit

What a great hubby you have! And what a great marriage for both of you!
    Enjoy California to the max! Don’t bother with our part of the world right now – we’re in the daddy-of-all-heatwaves: 43 C yesterday, 45 today and more to come. I love summer too, but there are limits.

40. Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children January 28, 2009 7:01 am edit

I’m officially green with envy! Have fun and be WARM!!

Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children’s last blog post..Digging out the candles and blankets

41. Calee January 28, 2009 12:51 pm edit

I know I’m just a lurker and not a blog friend, but I’m thrilled to know you’ll be just down the street and not freezing away!

Calee’s last blog post..Whatever you find today

42. bridge January 28, 2009 1:15 pm edit

I love it! Go to California…

43. cc January 28, 2009 5:51 pm edit

I am trying to see if there is any way possible for me to get to Brenda’s while you are here.

It is doubtful, but a girl can hope.

P.S. You made BlogHer a very positively remembered event.

cc’s last blog post..Featured Blogista