IMG_0262Summer is always quiet around here, but this summer I’ve been quieter than normal. It’s not that I don’t have any stories — I do! So many stories! — it’s that I literally have had no time to spend on the computer to do anything than paid work. The main reason stems back to the beginning of July, and it’s something that I haven’t written about here yet.

Matthew has started a two-year Masters program in Leadership.

He spent the entire month of July living with his sister and her family while getting up at 6 a.m. and falling into bed at midnight. (He finished his courses with a 92 average. Go, Honey!) With him being gone, that meant that I was flying solo here at home for a month, balancing work and the kids without him to be here to help keep that balance. I wanted to write about the solo-parenting thing, but I didn’t feel like broadcasting to the Internet that I was Home Alone. That left me with little to say, because it was a big part of my daily life, and so even if I had the time, I felt backed up, so to speak.

Parenting solo (In person — Matthew was always available to talk if he wasn’t in class) was hard, but doable, especially now that kids are older. Him being away helped them to see how much it takes to run this place and they really stepped up around here. Graham discovered that he loves cleaning the bathrooms (I don’t know either) and even gave himself a super-hero name: Bathroom Man. He’s also really good at folding laundry and enjoys doing it. (I have no problem keeping on top of washing and drying the clothes. It’s getting them put away that I’m horrible at.)

The other two stepped up as well. Nathan took over collecting and washing the chicken eggs, and vacuuming the house. Emily loves vacuuming as well, and also loves to clean windows and counters. All three of them now unload and load the dishwasher and help with dinner clean up more than they used to. Running a home is a lot of work and they made it less overwhelming.

All was not completely rosy, though. After we returned from our trip to Vancouver, all three kids got ear infections. Nathan’s was an outer ear infection and the other two had an inner ear infection. Then the next week, Graham got an outer ear infection. As I was waiting for his ear drops prescription, a friends walked up and asked me how I was doing. I burst into tears. (If I hadn’t been asked that, I would have held it together.) Balancing everything on my own was exhausting, and sick kids on top of it was my final straw.

Then one thing I haven’t mentioned (here — FB friends are in the loop) is that the week Matthew left for school, something happened that threw things into hyperdrive.

We decided to put our house up for sale. That’s a story for another day (It’s a good one), but purging and cleaning (and purging and cleaning) until 11:00 every night on top of everything else made for a very tired Angella and when the kids got sick (Twice!) I lost it.

That all said, Matthew is home now (Yay!) and we’re still busy purging and cleaning (and purging and cleaning) and hosting a revolving door of friends and family. The last batch arrives tonight and once they’ve moved on, I’ll start catching up and sharing my stories.

So that’s where I’ve been, and that’s a bit of what’s going on, and I miss reading your stories. Did I miss anything important while I’ve been vanquishing dust bunnies?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

comment via Facebook



  1. Hillary August 11, 2014 3:56 pm edit

    Exciting! And overwhelming. Sounds like a lot of work that will be SO NICE to enjoy when it settles :) Hugs, lady.

  2. angella August 12, 2014 4:38 pm edit

    Hugs back atcha. :) xoxo

  3. Feisty Harriet August 11, 2014 7:27 pm edit

    Oh wow! How exciting on the house! And the Master’s degree (and exhausting for you both)!

    Also, I really appreciate how you talked about solo parenting. I grew up with a single mother and we all had to pitch in all the time or everything would have fallen apart. I had household jobs as long as I could remember (far more than friends my same age) and a giant chunk of yard work and food prep/clean up. My Mom worked 12-14 hours a day 5 days a week and there wasn’t anyone else to help pick up the slack, ever. I get so frustrated when people try and compare going without their partner for a week or a month or whatever to a woman who does not have a partner, earns the money, takes care of kids and house, without a spouse to lean on, etc. So, I really appreciate you making a distinction between solo parenting (hard, frustrating, draining), and single parenting (all of that multiplied by a million).

    Glad he’s back. :)


  4. angella August 12, 2014 4:39 pm edit

    Me too. :)

    Having been raised for a number of years by a single Mom, I know the distinction. I’m glad that came across. :) xoxo

  5. Feisty Harriet August 11, 2014 7:28 pm edit

    /end rant

  6. monstergirlee August 12, 2014 1:47 am edit

    Have you decided where to move yet? That’s a pretty big deal – hope it’s all for the better.
    (I too would not broadcast that I was solo at home for a month)
    Nice to see you back :-)

  7. angella August 12, 2014 4:40 pm edit

    Thanks! :)

    The plan is to just move into town. Down-size property, and live where the kids can walk/bike to school and friends’ houses, etc. Exciting times!

  8. Ashley S August 13, 2014 9:35 pm edit

    Wow, SO much happening! I think you all deserve high-fives (and 82 Starbucks trips) on surviving the month!

  9. Hannah August 14, 2014 5:31 pm edit

    Wow. Just, wow. That’s a huge pile of stuff to have happening all at once! And a MONTH apart from your hubby? Intense!! I don’t think I could do it. You’re AMAZING!

Other Posts

Want to receive my posts by email?
Enter your email address: