I had to go and complain about the heat.  Sunday was a mix of sun and clouds.  It was a little cooler than it had been for the last week or two.  We asked the kids if we should “beach it” or go 4×4-ing.  They opted to hop into the 4Runner.

All was well for about thirty minutes.  I was shown a location that Matthew and the kids had been to, but that I had not seen before.

Before we knew it the storm clouds rolled in and lightning strikes were hitting the hills around us.  Nothing new, I know.  Matthew made the sweet call of booking it to the truck (instead of asking three wee people to RUN LIKE THE WIND) and swinging back to pick us up.  Mere moments after we loaded all of the kids into the vehicle we were pelted with some seriously hard rain.  As we drove home we dodged lighting and braced ourselves against the crazy downpour.

Apart from (and including) the drama of Sunday afternoon, we have really been battling the heat.  A while back we were put on tight watering restrictions.  These were not your regular restrictions where we were allowed to water on alternating days.

We were told not to water. At all. EVER.

This did not sit well with us.  We have a vast lawn that our kids (and their friends) frolic on daily.  Burnt grass is like rough straw. NOT GOOD on soft little feet. We also have a large garden that requires water so that the fruits and vegetables we have planted will thrive.

About a month ago, we did what a number of our neighbours have done.  We uncapped the well that serviced our property before the fancy new water system (that now HAS NO WATER) was installed about ten years ago.  This well, that we share with our closest neighbour, spouts clear cold water at five gallons per minute.  Matthew and our neighbour have worked hard to install a system that gives each of us a tap to do with the water as we please.

We choose to water the lawn, which includes a sprinkler.

We all know what happens when a sprinkler is turned on.

Emily

Um, Nathan?

That would be WATER on your arm.

Graham enjoyed himself.

G

A little.

Graham

Emily managed to make the best of it.

I think the three of them enjoyed themselves.

Three

I put down the camera and joined them in the fun.  Running through the sprinkler brings me back to being a kid. Running, and laughing, and completely carefree.

Never mind the fact that it keeps me from spontaneously combusting from the heat.

What are you doing to stay cool?

comments

Comments:

1. Camels & Chocolate August 18, 2008 12:45 am edit

Um, in San Francisco, shouldn’t you be asking what we’re doing to stay WARM? ;-) It is “winter” here after all!

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Under the Sea

2. Hannah August 18, 2008 3:14 am edit

Haha, they look like entrants in a wet t-shirt competition! All white t-shirts, all wet! Hehe :-)

I am doing NOTHING to stay cool. It is freezing here. Middle-of-winter freezing (with rain, hail and wind to boot). Wish I could send you some of our excess water!

DYING for summer here!!!

Hannah’s last blog post..WW: week 10

3. Mrs. Wilson August 18, 2008 4:26 am edit

WET T-SHIRT CONTEST!!!

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..Silent Saturday: You know, mostly silent

4. Jill - GlossyVeneer August 18, 2008 8:07 am edit

I haven’t run through sprinklers in a long time… Our sprinklers run at 3 AM; in Vegas we have restrictions on the hours we can water the lawn during the summer. And I haven’t 100% figured out a foolproof way to stay cool here!

Cute pictures, you’re so talented!

Jill – GlossyVeneer’s last blog post..Marathon Monday #11

5. Dayna August 18, 2008 8:25 am edit

Those pictures rock!

Dayna’s last blog post..Danger! Danger! High Voltage!

6. mommyknows August 18, 2008 9:17 am edit

I love Emily’s expressions. My kids are away … I am laying around in the A/C.

mommyknows’s last blog post..A New Camera (and a new contest)

7. Ashley August 18, 2008 9:19 am edit

Great photos, seems like there’s no keeping things cool around here. I can’t wait for FALL!!!!!

Ashley’s last blog post..What’s one more?

8. Moose August 18, 2008 9:50 am edit

Did you have a Slip n’ Slide when you were a kid? The long, plastic yellow thing that you put under the sprinklers and slid down on your belly? That was the best. Would also rip the skin off your stomach if it wasn’t wet enough, but DETAILS.

Moose’s last blog post..Moose: Dropping the Ball Since 1978

9. hills August 18, 2008 9:56 am edit

The picture of Emily hugging Matthew is killing me with its cuteness.
    Last night was SO HOT and I wouldn’t stop complaining. Today? It is raining. Again I will not stop complaining :)

hills’s last blog post..And Her Thoughts Like A Daisy How My Mind Gets Lazy

10. Elaine August 18, 2008 10:45 am edit

Running in the sprinklers is THE BEST! As is shown by all these great pictures! FUN!

Elaine’s last blog post..Moppin’ Monday

11. Amanda August 18, 2008 10:51 am edit

Drinking high calorie frozen bevvies like frapps and slurpees and blissfully not worrying about how fat they’re making me. The only perk of being pregnant in August. :)

Amanda’s last blog post..Strepped

12. Elizabeth August 18, 2008 11:53 am edit

Looks like great fun!!

Elizabeth’s last blog post..Sharing

13. Kristin August 18, 2008 3:27 pm edit

What fun pics! :)

We have AC so it’s all good!

14. rachel August 18, 2008 3:53 pm edit

Adorable pics Angella. I’m glad y’all have access to a well, since you are under such strict water restrictions.
    those pictures are just darling, I’m glad you joined them.
    We’re doing coffee malts and pool visits and staying inside to stay cool.

rachel’s last blog post..Mouthwatering Monday: Coffee Malts

15. metalia August 18, 2008 5:21 pm edit

Hahaaa! Their expressions are HILARIOUS. Hopefully it’ll cool down by you soon!

metalia’s last blog post..I’m Not Even Going To TRY To Come Up With A Clever Title

16. Maria August 18, 2008 8:08 pm edit

That is the best picture of her EVER!!! *lol*
    And wow you’re grass is really green!

Maria’s last blog post..This Space For Rent.

17. Maria August 18, 2008 8:09 pm edit

‘You’re grass’? Really Maria? Wow. You’re an idiot.

Maria’s last blog post..This Space For Rent.

18. slynnro August 18, 2008 8:53 pm edit

I love that Emily has a skirt on through all of that.

slynnro’s last blog post..In Which I Channel Sandra Lee

19. smizzo August 18, 2008 8:55 pm edit

We have a pool, but now what I REALLY want is a sprinkler! Fantastic photos!

smizzo’s last blog post..Time Flies When You?re Havin? Fun

20. Michele August 18, 2008 9:10 pm edit

The only way I survive is with A/C!!! Not many people in our town have it, so I feel very lucky! Those sprinkler pictures are the best! And that dear little Emily hugging her daddy – you can almost hear her giggling!

21. Rhi August 18, 2008 9:31 pm edit

Emily is my kind of girl ;) Running in the sprinkler in a skirt!

We escaped to the beach on Saturday. Ouchie tummy + super hot weather = Cranky Rhi, so my sweet, sweet boy took me out of town where it was FORTY DEGREES COOLER.

Silly, Oregon!

Rhi’s last blog post..We have a winner! Okay, we have a few!

22. Heather August 19, 2008 8:40 am edit

it hasn’t been too bad here, last week it was chilly. I am sure that once school starts up next week it will be terrible, then they will want to play in the hose. Well at least the younger one will.

Heather’s last blog post..This Monday sucks

23. Heather B. August 21, 2008 3:19 am edit

I love that photo of Emily and Matthew. She looks thrilled!

Heather B.’s last blog post..What the good ones are made of