As most of you know, I dabble a bit in photography. I have been feeling like a bit of a fraud lately when people refer to me as a “photographer” because I think that in order to hold that title you need to, you know, actually take photos.

My problem (if you can call it that) is that I like to take photos in natural light, preferably outdoors. Yes, I have fancy-schmancy lenses that allow me to take photos in low light as well as a fancy-schmancy flash for those situations that require one but…meh.  There are only so many photos I can take of my kids sitting on the couch, you know?

The problem with living in the Great Canadian Tundra is that in order to take photos outside you have to be ready to freeze your tush off.  I have done said butt-freeze in the interests of capturing photos of the kids outside, but those photos get stale as well.  Oh, look! More sledding photos! And look! The kids are wearing the same toques and ski jackets in every. single. photo!

*Yawn*

Truth be told,  I actually crave taking photos and editing them. Get me into Adobe and you’ll lose me for hours. Lack of photos taken equals creative outlet not satisfied which means that I have felt a wee bit frustrated. Throw in my well-documented hatred of winter in general and BOY HAVE I BEEN A TREAT TO BE AROUND.

I also find that a lot of my writing goes hand in hand with photography. Photos inspire words and words inspire photos. The two go hand-in-hand for me.  If that doesn’t make me a “real” writer then I am OK with that. I’m technically an accountant anyway.

*Shrugs*

This past weekend was one that I needed more than I had thought. The sun was shining, its rays were exuding warmth, the snow was melting. For the first time in, oh, five months or so we were outside in hoodies instead of ski jackets.  I put my favorite lens (24-70mm, f/2.8) on my camera and started snapping.

Rope Swing

Miss Emily

Buttons

The Three

Pilings
Just Dance

Nathan

Emily

On The Dock

After two days full of taking photos and two evenings full of playing in Photoshop I have this sense of creative satisfaction that has been missing. I just feel good. Giddy, even.

I’m a little bit rusty but it is coming back quickly.  I’m back in the saddle, baby.
Me at 24mm
Giddyup.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah March 24, 2009 12:58 am edit

Hooray! I’m glad you got some time to take these awesome shots, and some time to share them with all of us! Love them all! I think the one of Miss Emily’s foot is my favourite :-)

Hannah’s last blog post..I Believe I Can Fly

2. slynnro March 24, 2009 4:05 am edit

I’ve said it before, but damn your kids are lucky to have such a fantastic documentation of their lives.

slynnro’s last blog post..Why You Should Be Watching The Dish with Danielle Fishel.

3. angella March 24, 2009 4:07 am edit

I have a whopping TWO albums of me from birth to age 10. My kids have about two a year, and I could not be happier about it.

4. Jen March 24, 2009 6:16 am edit

I’ve MISSED your non-winter outdoor photography as well. SO happy to see it again!

ps. LOVE Miss Emily’s jeans.

5. Meg March 24, 2009 6:46 am edit

Holy stink, look at those CURLS on Miss Emily!!!
    So glad you’re back in the saddle :D

Meg’s last blog post..Mascot-lovin

6. Sizzle March 24, 2009 7:00 am edit

Emily is getting so tall! :-)

Sizzle’s last blog post..Delete

7. Amanda Brown March 24, 2009 7:01 am edit

Photos are my blog inspiration too, so winter = few posts for me. Also, AM LAZY. :)
    Glad to see you’re back doing what you love (and are so good at).
    PS: I miss you. Work, shmurk.

Amanda Brown’s last blog post..Snidbits*

8. witchypoo March 24, 2009 7:03 am edit

LOVE Miss Emily’s happy dance.

witchypoo’s last blog post..How I Got Pregnant

9. Sharon March 24, 2009 7:29 am edit

It’s so awesome that spring is finally here! It’s about darn time! :) Gorgeous pictures, as always! Yours give me such inspiration to take more photos.

Sharon’s last blog post..Viva Las Vegas!

10. Kerri Anne March 24, 2009 7:44 am edit

I wish my mom would have wanted to take as many pictures as you do. We still have tons of pics of us as kiddos, but most of them were taken by aunts and grandmas. They were the camera happy ones in the bunch. I haven’t shot forever either. I’m holding out for sunshine. WHERE ARE YOU, sunshine?

Kerri Anne’s last blog post..What’s A Bogey Lowenstein?

11. TUWABVB March 24, 2009 8:02 am edit

Little girl jeans! With buttons! My heart just melted!

And I would hardly say that you “dabble” in photography. Your pictures are some of my favorites and you are very, very talented.

TUWABVB’s last blog post..I’m Back and In Love

12. sherry March 24, 2009 8:13 am edit

I realized I was taking the same winter pictures over and over too – look! Here are my kids making snowballs! Again!

Thank heavens for spring. If we get a snowfall at this point I will spit nails, so help me.

(I love natural light best too, even though I finally have a nice external flash. Natural is just so vibrant and pretty.)

sherry’s last blog post..One on one time

13. Amy @ Muddy Boots March 24, 2009 8:22 am edit

I was nodding my head along with every sentence… except the part about being an accountant although I do like doing our taxes.

I. HATE. FLASH. PHOTOGRAPHY.

Solidarity sister!

Great pics, BTW. The one of all three leaning over the railing is my favorite. Great B/W conversion.

Amy @ Muddy Boots’s last blog post..I’d love you to love me

14. bethany actually March 24, 2009 8:22 am edit

That last photo of Emily and the photo of you…you have the exact same expressions! Even the eyebrows are the same!

bethany actually’s last blog post..go fly a kite

15. angella March 24, 2009 8:24 am edit

Well, she *is* my girl…those eyes are going to get her both into…and out of trouble ;)

16. Kami March 24, 2009 8:31 am edit

Yay! Now send some of that weather our way…winter is being crusty again…

Kami’s last blog post..Hormones Shmoremones

17. ali March 24, 2009 8:40 am edit

must learn to use my camera….

18. hillary March 24, 2009 8:42 am edit
  19. angella March 24, 2009 8:45 am edit

She really, truly is. I have NO IDEA where she gets it from. Heh.

20. rachel - a southern fairytale March 24, 2009 9:49 am edit

Your expression and EMily’s expression… sooooo similar ;-)

They’re all getting so tall! Great snaps. I need to re-inspire myself!

rachel – a southern fairytale’s last blog post..Garlic and Soy Baked Chicken Thighs

21. Kristin March 24, 2009 11:37 am edit

Hooray for sun, and picture taking, and a fun weekend! :)

Kristin’s last blog post..A quick hello.

22. Karen MEG March 24, 2009 2:11 pm edit

Gorgeous, gorgeous shots!!!

Karen MEG’s last blog post..Answer Period – the Finale

23. Domestic Extraordinaire March 25, 2009 4:29 am edit

love all the shots from different perspectives.

Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..Haiku Friday-The Us edition