On Thursday afternoon we were listening to the radio in the van after picking Graham up from school.  The weather forecast for Friday was for a “slight chance” of “scattered flurries”.  We woke up to a light dusting of snow and watched the flakes continue to fall from the sky.

We dropped Graham off at school (Still snowing), got some groceries (Yep, snowing), went to Mom’s group (Snow, snow, snow). We walked out of the church and encountered a good four inches of the white stuff.

I managed to make it home (Hooray for studded tires!) and Matthew spent the next hour or so plowing our driveway (More like a country road).The snow continued to fall.

We officially had our first big snowfall of the year and the kids could not be happier about it.

I bought Emily this toque on Wednesday when Matthew and I went (And finished!) Christmas shopping.

My kids like to eat snow.

They know to stay away from the yellow (and brown) snow.

Sorry (but not really) for the overload of Miss Emily. I love her in that toque.

Nathan was busy chowing away.

Matthew took the kids to pick Graham up from school.  I wanted to take some photos of G playing in the snow to go with the ones of Nathan and Emily, but he told me that he had played enough at lunch and recess.  I made him stand on the deck in an attempt at a quick snow shot.

It wasn’t quite the same and I asked him if we could bundle him up and go out in the yard. This was his response.

I let the dream die.

Friday night was the annual Festival of Lights (Or Light Up, as us locals call it). Last year’s post explains it in great detail. I brought my camera but I didn’t take many photos.

Trying to keep our large group together and making sure my kids didn’t get lost in the throngs of people did not make for many a photographic opportunity.  I did snap this photo at Matthew’s request.

Steve (Amanda‘s husband) and Matthew were rocking their big fuzzy hats (Not sure what they are called, but they make me laugh).

Now that Light Up is over, Matthew will let me put up the tree(s) and decorate the house.  While I may hate winter, I LOVE Christmas.  Sunday afternoon will be spent listening to Christmas tunes and decking the halls. The snow most definitely helps the Christmas spirit.

How about you?  What have you got going on this weekend?

comments

Comments:

1. orlund November 29, 2008 10:50 am edit

We had a big snow fall too. Was great. Normally I don’t like winter but this year is different. I think it is because our baby daughter and also I had so much fun taking photos outside at the university yesterday.

orlund’s last blog post..First Snow Fall of 2008

2. mommyknows November 29, 2008 11:00 am edit

Wow! Fabulous photos, the lantern and snow is perfect. NO SNOW in sunny Alberta +5 today and warmer tomorrow. So weird … I’ve probably jinxed us now.

We did pay dearly though for our kids to be in ‘downhill’ racing this winter so snow soon would be welcome.

Stay warm.

MK

mommyknows’s last blog post..My Very Own …

3. slynnro November 29, 2008 11:17 am edit

Still hot outside here. Ridiculous.

slynnro’s last blog post..Ask Sassy Kay: Volume Two

4. anji November 29, 2008 11:24 am edit

In these part (the Ottawa valley), “we call them theres HILLYBILLY hat for thems folk”. It would only be complete with the checkered coat. *due music from delivererance*
    Lock up your kinfolk and stock!!

5. Loralee November 29, 2008 11:25 am edit

I think that first photo with the lantern is AMAZING.
    And I am so with you on winter and Christmas. I am all for snow from Thanksgiving (American) to New Years Day. Then? BRING ON SPRING!

Loralee’s last blog post..?It’s a Hannibal Lecter Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown!?

6. Mrs. Wilson November 29, 2008 11:34 am edit

Christmas decorating will be happening this weekend. And a lot of Christmas baking. And some playing in the snow, as we’re having another big snowfall today. Yay! (I like the snow, I just hate driving in it!)

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..NaBlow Day 28: Backseat creeper

7. Kristin November 29, 2008 12:36 pm edit

We are all sick with nasty colds this weekend, BOO!

Enjoy decking your halls though! :)

8. Heidi F November 29, 2008 12:52 pm edit

I love love that last picture – can I have it to use as a background for songs on Sunday morning?

9. ELizabeth November 29, 2008 1:46 pm edit

We’re enjoying the wintry weather, as well.

ELizabeth’s last blog post..?For Trades? aka Random Thoughts with Elizabeth

10. Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire November 29, 2008 2:35 pm edit

We had snow and then it melted. Yesterday was grocery shopping and some thrifting (didn’t find anything I needed) Today was up before dawn to drive an hour away to watch (and photograph) Giggles in a horse show. Later I am working, shooting formals at a party. Tomorrow I think I may take a long afternoon nap.

Love the photos! (of course-I think I always say that-but they are always awesome. I am playing with a 40D today-really loving the improvements over the 20D)

Heather @ Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..Turkey Time

11. Kami November 29, 2008 2:38 pm edit

Love the shot of the light in town and the pine cone, beautiful! And my dad has a hat like that! He’s cool and in style, who knew?

;-)

Shopping with my honey this weekend sans kiddos. Dinner out tonight! WHEEEE! But must get some work done too…see me working? ;-)

Kami’s last blog post..Contest Time!

12. Chris November 29, 2008 3:11 pm edit

After a rainy night and day before Thanksgiving and the morning of, it is back to cloudless blue sky and temperatures in the 80s! We are sitting by the pool, reading!
    Ah, SoCal! :0)
    P.S. I know this is where you want to be! Really!

13. Rachel November 29, 2008 4:24 pm edit

The kid pics are darling, as always. But I adore! the lantern and the pine cone pics. Those are fabulous.

I envy y’all the snow. Makes for such beautiful pictures.

Rachel’s last blog post..It’s Not Twiddling, It’s War

14. Sharon November 29, 2008 5:10 pm edit

I love the photos!

I spent most of the day in Bellingham shopping and hanging out with one of my best friends. It was wonderful!

Tomorrow I’ll be decorating for Christmas as well! I’ve got some great tunes, organic apple cider to heat up, and lots of Christmas movies to watch. It’s going to be great!

Sharon’s last blog post..Day trip to Bellingham

15. Amanda Brown November 29, 2008 7:14 pm edit

I’m pretty sure the official name for those hats are: “Make Your Wife Cringe”-ers. Awesome. :)

Amanda Brown’s last blog post..Pour Some Sugar On Me

16. Danica November 29, 2008 8:15 pm edit

I love how all that pink (cheeks included) makes her blue eyes pop. I’ve forbidden myself to start decorating or baking for Christmas until my last paper is done. Sooooooo tempting.

Danica’s last blog post..Meetings

17. The Over-Thinker November 29, 2008 8:25 pm edit

I love the photos!

I did all my decking-out, yesterday. Today, I did nothing, but I supposed I deck’d-out my stomach as I filled it with gingerbread cookies.

The Over-Thinker’s last blog post..Come Get Your Chocolate Rimmed Braless Gun Show!

18. Michele November 29, 2008 10:37 pm edit

You can keep all the snow over there!!! We had our light-up on Thursday night and it was so nice…Not too cold and only a tiny bit of rain! It’s definately “smelling” like snow outside these days though!

Love the photos of the kids…Today my favourite is the first one of Graham. Could his smile be any bigger?

19. Andrea November 29, 2008 10:41 pm edit

I love that song. I don’t know why… I just do.

Ah, Emily in pink. She never fails to melt my heart :)

-Andrea

Andrea’s last blog post..V-Blogging… Hangin’ out in the van

20. Hannah November 30, 2008 1:04 am edit

Awesome snow pics! I love Miss Emily’s hat, she sure does look great in pink :-)

We spent most of the weekend at the beach – it has been HOT here, way hotter than normal for late November.

Hannah’s last blog post..Photo meme

21. Jen November 30, 2008 5:21 am edit

Wow! You guys have more snow than us!

Our weekend is filled with much of the same, shopping, decorating, gingerbread man decorating fun.

22. Camels & Chocolate November 30, 2008 6:26 pm edit

The lantern shot reminds me of Narnia! Also, I can’t believe it’s that cold there when it’s freakin’ SEVENTY DEGREES in the Bay Area! Hard to feel like it’s Christmas when you sweat from walking to the car…

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Turkey Times Two

23. Kristabella December 1, 2008 9:16 am edit

We had the opposite here yesterday. What was originally supposed to be 4-6 inches, turned out to be a lot of rain and sleet and about an inch of snow. Which I am more than happy about. That’s plenty.

Also, I am more than happy that I can take public transportation to work so that I didn’t have to brave the first snow of the year on the highway. Snow brings out the idiot drivers!

Kristabella’s last blog post..Happy Baconsgiving!