I don’t know about the rest of you photographer-types, but I go into semi-hibernation during the winter months. I prefer to shoot outdoors, in natural light, which means that sub-zero temperatures and three hours of daylight per day put a bit of a damper on things. We have a house with large windows to let as much light in as possible, but there are only so many photos one can take of her children all lined up on the couch.

Yes, they’re cute and yes, Emily’s precociousness slays me but SERIOUSLY. This is not the kind of photography that gets me excited.

The daylight hours are getting longer (Hooray!), the weather is getting warmer (I’ve been outside without a jacket) and I am starting to believe that spring is truly here. (With that statement, it will likely snow tomorrow. I’m sorry.) After feeling photographically constipated for so many months the thought of letting it loose (so to speak) has been both encouraging and frustrating. I am working six days a week right now, which means that my available daylight shooting hours occur on Sunday afternoons. No pressure. And no relief.

I have thought about carrying my camera bag along with me to capture the sunrise as I drive to work or to stop and take a shot of the lake on my drive home. To haul a purse, my lunch bag and a camera bag each and every day to the office is not only impractical, it’s a huge pain in the buttocks. I would throw my camera in my purse but I paid a lot of money for my baby; I need to take good care of her. I settled for having my point-and-shot in my purse which does an OK job, but it’s not what I know I could do with the “Big gun”.

So, yeah. Bunged up creatively, as it were.

Then, a few weeks ago, I saw photos of Karen with a camera bag that looked like a purse. It’s an Epiphanie Bag and as I’ve already side-blogged it, this has nothing to do with the contest they are hosting. I actually ordered mine before the contest started because I knew (I KNEW) that the ability to carry my camera in my purse, while keeping it protected, would set me free from the frustration I was feeling. And you know what? I was right.

Last Thursday, Ginger arrived. I transferred my purse contents and tucked my 7D safely in her belly. On my Friday lunch hour, I headed out to see the historic downtown that I work in in a new light. I was not looking for sales or snacks or used books to read. I was looking for things to capture.

I noticed that there was a lot of graffiti. Scratch that. There was a lot of art. I shot the ones that made me smile/think/happy.

I could throw in some cheesy cliche about how I am like a dormant flower who is emerging after winter but, HORK.

The only way to explain it is that I feel like me.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah March 22, 2010 1:58 am edit

Love the photos!! Glad you were able to indulge again. xx
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..Man of the House =-.

2. Jen March 22, 2010 5:33 am edit

Love the pics! They really do give a feeling that there is spring in the air, things are looking up, and that good times in the sun are ahead. Hooray!

3. kakaty March 22, 2010 7:19 am edit

Thanks for the review – I want the Belle something fierce but was unsure it would be big enough to hold the camera safely while also holding my wallet,keys, phone and a few other random purse stuff.

Glad to hear you are getting your photog groove back

4. Ashley March 22, 2010 7:33 am edit

Beautiful

5. LauraRad March 22, 2010 7:47 am edit

I feel the exact same way too, I just could articulate it as clearly as you. I DO feel photographically constipated in winter! :) I have bookmarked the Epiphanie bags to perhaps acquire one, one of these days. Now that the snow is melting and the sun is peaking through here in Northern Minnesota, I’m feeling hopeful that my constipation will pass and I can get outside and explore once again. Sad for me though, I don’t have any kids or pets, so my husband and his cute sister [my 9 yr old sister in law] are my main photo subjects. And they get tired of me sticking the camera in their face. Ahhh, tough – right?

Love the photos too. I am enamored with graffiti.
    .-= LauraRad´s last blog ..Tidbits =-.

6. Kami's Khlopchyk March 22, 2010 8:03 am edit

Anna put a FB status up about these bags…I WANT one! I showed them to Jay and my bday is coming :)

Glad you got out to shoot some photos, it is kind of part of you isn’t it? I like it because then you share your amazing pictures with us! Thanks by the way, you inspire me to get out and learn….
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..Anonymous Comments of the Dumbest Kind =-.

7. Sharon March 22, 2010 8:51 am edit

Wow – that’s some fantastic art that you have in your town! I especially love the wine bottle one. :)
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..It’s my party and I’ll sneeze if I want to! =-.

8. Jen Wilson March 22, 2010 8:54 am edit

Those photos are AMAZING. I’m totally the same way about winter and have been creatively constipated until this week when I actually got my camera out as well.

Hooray for Spring!

ps. Keep the photos coming. I’ve always loved your work.

9. hillary March 22, 2010 10:12 am edit

Awesome shots! I’ve been thinking of getting an Epiphanie bag but I wasn’t sure it would keep my camera sufficiently protected. Can you post a photo of your bag with camera + purse stuff in it?
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..The Band Is Back Together Allergic And In The News =-.

1. angella March 22, 2010 10:25 am edit

Your wish is my command:

My Bag, on Flickr

1. hillary March 22, 2010 11:00 am edit

Thanks, dude!

10. Danica Grunert March 22, 2010 10:48 am edit

Beautiful.
    .-= Danica Grunert´s last blog ..Coming Soon to a Blog Near You =-.

11. Nicole March 22, 2010 11:03 am edit

So relate to not wanting to drag ANOTHER bag around. Really like the idea of a camera bag / purse that doesn’t scream camera bag. Adding this one to my wish list.

12. Elizabeth March 22, 2010 12:49 pm edit

Oh Yay. I’m off to scope out those bags, too…
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Wreckin’ Stuff =-.

13. Kerri Anne March 22, 2010 1:13 pm edit

YAY. These shots are all so great. And colorful, woot!
    .-= Kerri Anne´s last blog ..Weekend Update: Werepug Edition =-.

14. Hilda March 22, 2010 3:00 pm edit

awesome, I have to admit that I’m one of those people who usually loves rather than hates graffiti. It can just be amazing.

15. Jennifer Kirk March 22, 2010 9:35 pm edit

Oh My… what gorgeous camera bags! A little small for the amount of gear I lug around but perhaps perfect for the everyday? Hmmm. I was going to suggest you check out Jill-E bags, I currently have a big one and a medium one… but these look much more like purses! Sweet find!
    Nice shots too… I’m loving the cherry blossoms I get to work with this time of year… cheers to Spring!!
    .-= Jennifer Kirk´s last blog ..Freshen up your image! =-.

16. Laurie March 23, 2010 9:02 am edit

I can’t wait until it really feels like spring here. It was nice a few days but got snow yesterday :( I’m feeling inspired by your post though, and may just pull out the camera today snow or not! And that epiphanie bag is sweet!
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..Memory Lane Monday: My Grandma =-.

17. Momo Fali March 23, 2010 2:45 pm edit

Yay for you, yay for spring, yay for art, yay for Karen and yay for that bag!

18. Jeremy March 23, 2010 4:44 pm edit

Love those blasts of colour. ’twas a mellow winter by normal standards, but still so grey-brown.
    .-= Jeremy´s last blog ..Little ‘berts =-.

19. Roshan March 24, 2010 9:18 am edit

I think we all love your pics a lot. I especially love your kids posing and laughing. Like Emily – she looks naughty & cute & innocent – all at the same time.
    .-= Roshan´s last blog ..Tragedy @ Meenachil River =-.

20. Amie Wouda March 24, 2010 1:28 pm edit