I have been in a bit of a quandary lately.  More than I usually am, if you can believe it.

I have been struggling with what to share here. Again. Still. This site first started over three years ago as a means for my Mom and other family members to see (and hear about) my kids. My Mom only makes it here about twice a week, and the bulk of the people reading are (as far as I know) not related to me. You will have to clarify that with my overly virile father.

I have absolutely no problem talking about myself in this little corner of mine but worry that I may share too much about my children, especially as they get older. My eldest child, a boy, is now in the first grade. He is getting to that age where I have been cutting back on what I write about him. I had a hard enough time in school without having my Mom post my business all over the Internet.

This past week he told me that one of his school “friends” was sometimes “being mean” to him. I would love to throttle that little fart. I would also not like to give the Mean Kids any ammo against my flesh and blood. Google is a powerful weapon. Yo.

That sweet boy of mine succumbed to a cough and cold this past weekend and watching him curled up on the couch made me misty. My little by is so grown up but he is still my baby.

G Force

Matthew and I came down with said cold the next day and Graham said, “I’m sorry that I made you sick”. What a sweetheart.  I do not know if I can give up posting about him entirely; photos cannot do any harm, right? RIGHT?

I also snapped a few photos of his baby sister. For she is all sorts of photogenic.

Emily

And, as you can see, was not in the mood for photos.

My Girl

Her other brother? He asked for me to take his photo.

Nate Dawg

Um. Yeah.

We have spent the bulk of our time indoors. Coloring pictures, playing the Wii, watching movies (Madagascar! Madagascar II!). Cabin fever is so last month; we are now officially STIR CRAZY.

On Saturday afternoon Matthew and I left Graham and Nathan inside in the capable hands of my brother and headed out into the (snowy) sunshine with Emily. Our girl puttered in the plastic kitchen under the tree fort while Matthew and I played a rousing game of hockey on the outdoor ice rink that we (he) built.
Hockey

Intermission
Look! A photo of the two of us! And it has only been a month since our last one!

I am not sure what else to say here.  I could say that I will never write about my children but they are such a huge part of my life. A huge part of who I am. They are flesh of my flesh and bone of my bones. They fill my days with life, love, and happiness. And also, laughter that bubbles from the deepest regions of my belly which then overflows and spews forth in all of its awesomeness.

I do not know the answer to my dilemma. Heck, I cannot even remember what the question was. I will just have to figure it out as I go along. Kind of like life, no?

So. Please tell me how you are doing.  Anything interesting that I need to know about?

comments

Comments:

1. steff February 16, 2009 4:54 am edit

I have lived in TX for the last few years, moving back from Colorado. My sons’ best friend is in Quebec playing hockey this week. I love that you have your own ice rink, I always heard Canadians did that often, but never *knew* anyone who actually had one! :-)

2. Janssen February 16, 2009 5:30 am edit

Can I say again how sweet it is that Matthew built you an ice skating rink? Your sweet marriage is such an inspiration to me.

Janssen’s last blog post..Monday Muffins

3. Domestic Extraordinaire February 16, 2009 8:00 am edit

Google searches are the main reasons why my girls’ real names aren’t online, well not much anyways.

We have been playing the wii lots as well, watching movies and enjoying hubby’s rare 2nd day off of the week. (he normally has to work 6 days a week)

The kids are off school today b/c of President’s Day-not sure what we are going to do today.

Domestic Extraordinaire’s last blog post..Experiencing Bliss

4. Claire February 16, 2009 8:03 am edit

Nothing interesting here except that it rained ALL weekend and then, of course, today it is beautiful out, when we have to go back to work. How unfair is that? Hope you all feel better soon.

Claire’s last blog post..Please watch and enjoy

5. Sizzle February 16, 2009 8:23 am edit

It’s hard to know what to post and not to post- with kids and even just with myself. The kids sure are cute though. Sorry everyone is coming down with the dreaded cold.

Sizzle’s last blog post..Self-Love Day 2009

6. Jen February 16, 2009 8:26 am edit

Josie is sitting here with me as I read your blog. I scrolled to the picture of Nathan and she gasped and then screamed “RARRRR!!!” like she does when she sees a picture of a bear or a lion. haha!

Google is a powerful weapon and yes, kids always find something to be mean about. But keep posting about those sweeties. If someone were to google your kids, they’d find faaar more good than bad.

Jen’s last blog post..Me: Day 4

7. Sharon February 16, 2009 8:45 am edit

I can definitely understand the need for privacy, especially when it comes to your kids. I hope you will continue to write about them, because they’re so wonderful and totally adorable!

The only interesting thing going on with me is that I ran a 10k race yesterday. I’m still utterly wiped, but it’s a good kind of exhaustion. I just hope I have enough energy to run with my group again tonight. And yes, I am officially nuts! :)

Sharon’s last blog post..First 10k of the year completed!

8. Amanda February 16, 2009 8:51 am edit

I just finished watching “The Women” (good movie) and am still sitting here in my pj’s (it’s almost noon in Ontario). I am working my way to getting the dog and heading outside to enjoy the 4th straight day of sunshine…four days in a row! If only the snow would go away…I’m banking on a 6 month winter this year (YUCK!). And last night, I wrote on my blog for the 4th time in a year (I’m going to try and post more often, not just when I need to vent, as was the case last night). That’s what I am up to.

I love your blog, it is the first one I check out when I get online (seriously, it is!). The good, the bad and the ugly (in order), your blog is beautiful, it will drive your children nuts that you blog about them, they may hate if for a while, but will eventually find the treasure in the words you write and the comments that people share (oops, I guess I ended on the good again. :D).

Amanda’s last blog post..I Am A Teacher

9. Amanda February 16, 2009 8:53 am edit

I probably should have added that we have a holiday here today, I’m not playing hooky from school. :)

Amanda’s last blog post..I Am A Teacher

10. slynnro February 16, 2009 10:00 am edit

1. My life is boring.

2. I struggle with how much to share about our marriage. Because sometimes I really want to write about something that is going on, and I can’t. Or I question if I should.

slynnro’s last blog post..Fashion Find Feeds

11. Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children February 16, 2009 10:42 am edit

Google is the reason my chiklren have fake names on my blog. Of course, as they get older, I’ll probably talk less about them because I don’t want to embarrass them. It’s a fine line.

I also know that I overshare w/marriage issues. Really, I need to not say some of the things I say.

And what’s up in my life? Well. I haven’t showered since Saturday. That’s about as exciting as it gets around here.

Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children’s last blog post..How five bucks at happy hour at a Mexican restaurant can get you eternal love

12. Mrs. Wilson February 16, 2009 11:20 am edit

What have I been up to? Well, my brother just got engaged, which means that I have to now go to Terrace for the wedding. I don’t want to go to Terrace. Boo.

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..With Reckless Abandon

13. Mrs. Wilson February 16, 2009 11:20 am edit

ps. I didn’t know that you lived with a Transformer! So cool!

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..With Reckless Abandon

14. Camels & Chocolate February 16, 2009 11:23 am edit

I spent a couple days in your shoes (at Tahoe) where the snow was four feet deep, and I thought, hmm, three days of this is nice. But any longer? Would. Go. Crazy.

15. Hannah February 16, 2009 11:24 am edit

I certainly keep tabs on what I post about my family. For instance, I would never right (in detail) about the fact that my eldest (who is almost 7) still wets the bed. I would never discuss personal & private issues between my husband and I.
    But I refuse to live in fear, so I will continue to write about my kids. Like others have said, it’s a fine line. I think you have a good balance. Your blog is definitely a positive place and I can’t think of anything you have written about your kids that would cause them to be teased. Your kids are funny, cute and wonderful, I doubt anybody would be able to find any “ammo”, even if they spent hours trying.

Hannah’s last blog post..Gratitude list

16. Beth February 16, 2009 11:28 am edit

I love reading about and seeing pictures of your kids. They’re just so darn cute.

As for me, I have a job interview tomorrow. I’m interviewing at the hospital where I’m currently doing my residency for a job as an attending pediatric hospitalist. There’s only one other candidate for the job. I’m hopeful but if I don’t get it then I’ll be spending next year as chief resident. Which is also incredibly cool because our new children’s hospital opens in September. So it’s a win-win.

Beth’s last blog post..I get around

17. hillary February 16, 2009 12:52 pm edit

I understand the ‘what can I post / what can I not post’ quandary. A bunch of shite went down last week with Shawn and his job and I can’t post about it because it’s not my job drama but I want to post about it because it is affecting me hugely. Like, we might move to Kelowna hugely. GAH! My brain is melting over here.

hillary’s last blog post..Just A Perfect Day Problems All Left Alone Weekenders On Our Own Such Fun

18. Kami February 16, 2009 1:37 pm edit

I’ll be honest with you, it never occurred to me to be too careful about what I wrote about my kids until you mentioned it awhile ago. I am swift like that. Because of you, I am much more discerning…Because of facebook, who knows who is reading my site……

Thanks for that!

No much new around here…just wishing we lived in Hawaii is all ;)

Kami’s last blog post..Hawaii, The Big Island

19. Jennifer Kirk February 16, 2009 1:43 pm edit

We’re leaving for Mexico on Saturday morning, the first trip in almost 8 years of marriage that doesn’t revolve around SCUBA diving… I’m looking forward to a week of nothing (and margaritas) although it could be really boring! And my folks are meeting us down there… that’s a first too.

My blog is for business – where I find a line needs to be drawn is on facebook, that site is both wonderful for reconnecting and awful for Too Much Information!

20. Kerri Anne February 16, 2009 3:45 pm edit

I often struggle with my own censorship, with what to post in my online spaces and I don’t have kiddos to think about. I think it’s a process that refines itself constantly, rethinks itself and renews itself. At least, that’s been my experience with this crazy sexy thing we like to call “blogging.”

As far as anything new to report, pretty much I’m just wishing July was tomorrow, though I’d settle for April or May, even. Any month with tangible WARMTH would suffice. Otherwise life is pretty much life and moving along nicely I would say.

Kerri Anne’s last blog post..Weekend Update, Beachy Valentine Edition

21. Sarah February 16, 2009 4:40 pm edit

I think the hard thing about deciding what to do with regards to blogging and personal information is that…there is no precedent. No matter how difficult parenting is: it’s been done before. Thousands, millions, billions of times. But when it comes to making a choice about censoring personal information on the Internet, well, it’s a relatively new problem, isn’t it?

Whatever you decide, I’m sure that it will be the right decision for your family. Good luck!

22. Meg February 16, 2009 5:44 pm edit

I worry about what I post, especially since I just moved to a city as small as Squamish is, and everyone here would be able to figure out where I live, etc. Same with my new job, that I’M SO EXCITED ABOUT. But again, small place, don’t want that many identifying details :S
    I don’t think you’ve written anything that is overly embarrassing for your kids :D And definitely nothing that can be used as ammo!

Meg’s last blog post..I went to the radio interview, but I ended up alone

23. Vicki February 16, 2009 6:57 pm edit

Sorry to hear that Graham has a firend that was being mean. If you don’t mind my asking…do you really think it has something to do with your blog? Or an internet search? That’s why you will notice (if you ever look at my little corner of blogville) that I have erased the entire thing – pictures and stories about my children. They may one day show up again, but for now…I have to hold back.

Reading that actually made me wonder…I certainly hope it was not my child. You would tell me right? (I’m 99.99% sure it can’t be)…I’d be mortified, but I’d want to know.

Like I said in another coment…respecting others, more than respecting others…trwating people with kindness is so important to us. I hope he knows that my daughter has nothing but compliments for him, and is so glad he is her A B partner!

24. Michele February 16, 2009 7:50 pm edit

That photo of Graham is so sweet!!! There is something angelic about kids when they are sick…Love the shot of you and Matthew too!

25. Kristabella February 17, 2009 10:32 am edit

It is hard to think about what the internet will be like in 10 years when all these kids we’ve watched grow up get older. It’s kind of scary, so it makes sense to censor a little bit, for their safety and to maintain the innocence.

But it’s hard because they are such a big part of your life! And really, who could be mean to your adorable kids? LEMME AT ‘EM!

Kristabella’s last blog post..I Can Only Talk About Two Things – Houses and Acid

26. witchypoo February 17, 2009 11:10 am edit

Too bad Wordpress doesn’t have a find/replace function so everyone could have blog names. You listening out there, WP developers?

witchypoo’s last blog post..Dirty T Shirt

27. Rhi February 17, 2009 8:35 pm edit

On kind of a different-ish, but same-ish note, I’ve been struggling with the same thing – I don’t post a WHOLE lot about my relationship with my guy, but I’m just recently feeling like it’s too much. And, I really don’t know what to do about that.

Rhi’s last blog post..Well, hello there!