I have mentioned my friend Karen numerous times.  She really should have her own category.  We met at Briercrest Bible College back in the day, and were roommates in Vancouver until we got married to our husbands a mere three weeks apart.

We both ended up in the Okanagan with our hubbies.  Seven years and five kids between us, we are still the best of friends.  Our kids are so close in age that they, too, are close.  So close in fact that there has been talk of marriage.

No, we are not arranging marriages.  But our children are.

Over a year ago Graham and I were talking about nothing and everything all at once.  He loves to look at my wedding ring and ask me about when/why I married Daddy.  I threw out the question, “Who do you want to marry?”

He answered the question with no hesitation whatsoever.

“Sarah”

I relayed this conversation to Karen on the phone.  It turns out that she and Sarah had just had a similar conversation.  Sarah announced she would marry Graham.

We find the whole deal quite funny, especially since it was all their idea and not ours.

This past Saturday, Karen and her family brought their camping trailer and parked it in our yard.  The summer has been extra busy for both of our families.  Karen and I usually talk at least once a day.  We have been lucky to talk once a week.  It has been awful.

The kids have missed their friends as well.  The solution? A stay out here in The Sticks.

Graham and Sarah have been inseparable.  Holding hands and telling us that they are going to marry each other.

(Yes, they are wearing jackets.  I had to go and complain/brag about the heat.  Summer got all pouty on me and hid in the corner.  Come back, summer!  I promise to be good! At least until next summer.)

We have humored the two of them (and ourselves) with questions.

How many children will you have? Two.

Girls or boys? One of each. Sierra will be the girl and John will be the boy.

Where will you live? Graham: “Faulder” Sarah: “Westbank”

How old will you be when you get married? Sixteen.

HOW ABOUT THIRTY?

As I sat and looked through the photos that I took of the two of them yesterday I was hit with a small twinge of something foreign.

I think that while all of this talk of “marriage” and such is funny, and cute, and endearing.

However.

It is also a sign that my first born, my baby, my Graham really is growing up.  He does not need me to tie his shoes (or wipe his bum).

He does not need me to bathe him, or to dress him, or to even make him lunch.

One day, he will not need me to be the primary woman in his life.  I know that, and I get that.

I am just not ready for it to happen any time soon.

comments

Comments:

1. Camels & Chocolate August 26, 2008 2:51 pm edit

She is just precious! Seriously, though, how fun would it be if they did end up getting married and then your families could do all holidays together and there would never be any in-law weirdness?! I’m already all excited for you! =)

Camels & Chocolate’s last blog post..Well, Glad That’s Behind Us…

2. joyce August 26, 2008 2:52 pm edit

they are so cute…in appearance AND conversation! and if it DOES happen and they marry each other…how cool would that be?!?

joyce’s last blog post..ummmm…what can you even call this?!?

3. K August 26, 2008 2:58 pm edit

They are so adorable!!

K’s last blog post..Mini vacation

4. witchypoo August 26, 2008 3:05 pm edit

They could do much worse than each other. Both brought up in similar families, values. And? They know each other.
    Adorable.
    Sixteen? NONONONONO

witchypoo’s last blog post..The Young Shaman

5. She Likes Purple August 26, 2008 3:27 pm edit

Even now Mike still loves his mom in a way that is indescribable. It’s the reason I know I would love raising a son.

She Likes Purple’s last blog post..Everything Changes

6. Heather August 26, 2008 3:32 pm edit

awww, I am getting all misty. For reals!! It has to be the hormones, because who would of thought I would be getting weepy over someone else’s kiddo growing up.

Gah! Okay off to open house for real now.

Heather’s last blog post..Things I love and then some…..

7. hills August 26, 2008 3:32 pm edit

they make such a cute couple :)
    but, uh, 16? seriously?

hills’s last blog post..ABC 123 Baby You And Me Girl

8. Hannah August 26, 2008 3:50 pm edit

They are so cute together!! Seriously adorable.

My boys want to marry me! Should I be worried?!?!

Hannah’s last blog post..Wellington weekend

9. Tracy August 26, 2008 3:51 pm edit

Those picture are ADORABLE!!! They will be great to show in a slide show at their wedding ;-) hehehee

Tracy’s last blog post..One week left…

10. Tamara August 26, 2008 3:57 pm edit

Those two really are so cute together!

11. Marcie August 26, 2008 4:54 pm edit

I’m not ready for that either. It’s very scary.

They ARE especially cute, though, hehehe.

Marcie’s last blog post..The First Day of Kindergarten

12. Karen August 26, 2008 5:07 pm edit

Me. Neither!!!!

Good thing we have like 25 years until they’re 30!

Can you imagine if we shared grandbabies?!?!

Karen’s last blog post..Tabular Stats

13. Karen August 26, 2008 5:16 pm edit

by the way, love the pictures, but why is she all over him? (!!) I’ll have to have a talk with that girl…..

Karen’s last blog post..Tabular Stats

14. Kami August 26, 2008 5:17 pm edit

He makes his own lunch? Dude needs to come down here and teach my dudes how to do that!

They are both adorable and it would be even cooler if they actually do end up married. Just think how neat it would be to be best friends with your son’s in laws?!

Kami’s last blog post..One last week at the lake

15. Jen August 26, 2008 6:04 pm edit

If they ever do marry, those photos are going to mean THE WORLD to them!

16. Mrs. Wilson August 26, 2008 6:26 pm edit

Oh my WORD the first picture looks like an engagement picture! That first born child of yours is turning into a HANDSOME young man. And the girl? Gorgeous.

Mrs. Wilson’s last blog post..Ode to my Family: My Sister

17. slynnro August 26, 2008 6:35 pm edit

Adorable! And I want Sarah’s clothes. Graham is doing well.

slynnro’s last blog post..Flat Hair Solutions Vol. 8,000,000

18. sizzle August 26, 2008 6:45 pm edit

They make a very handsome couple.

sizzle’s last blog post..What’s Your Bottom?

19. Don Mills DIva August 26, 2008 7:08 pm edit

That is just about the cutest post I have ever read. They MUST get married – they are both equally gorgeous so you know it would work out!

Don Mills DIva’s last blog post..Paging Art Linkletter

20. Rebecca (Bearca) August 26, 2008 7:20 pm edit

I actually teared up reading this. How sweet. And what beautiful photos!

Rebecca (Bearca)’s last blog post..overreaction

21. Elaine August 26, 2008 7:21 pm edit

Wow, they seem pretty serious about it. Wouldn’t that just be the sweetest story?? Cute pictures…

Elaine’s last blog post..Blinded by the Socks

22. Tracee Sioux August 26, 2008 7:28 pm edit

Very sweet photos and a lovely story.

Tracee Sioux’s last blog post..Michelle, Isn’t She Lovely?

23. Heather @ Cool Zebras August 26, 2008 8:09 pm edit

Wow those photos are gorgeous. They look like clothing ads for a magazine layout.

Heather @ Cool Zebras’s last blog post..Morning at the Zoo

24. Kristin August 26, 2008 10:17 pm edit

Oh my goodness how cute are they!! And how fun will it be for them to have those pictures when they get married!! :)

25. Michele August 27, 2008 12:53 am edit

Awww!!! What a beautiful story! Love the pictures too! I have to admit that I was married once…In my “husband,” Luke’s basement, standing on kitchen chairs. Ahhhh, memories!!!

26. Heather August 27, 2008 6:45 am edit

Very cute.

27. ali August 27, 2008 7:21 am edit

cute!

i love when little kids have such strong bonds with each other! Isabella has a “boyfriend” like this. i love seeing them interact.

28. karen August 27, 2008 7:40 am edit

They are so adorable together. To have a son that sensitive and thoughtful to another girl at that age is a credit to you and your husband. But 16…. (p.s. Love the blog!)

29. gorillabuns August 27, 2008 7:57 am edit

I plan on sending my girls to a convent around 16 so I shouldn’t have to worry about marriage, sex and all of the things in between.

30. SarahD August 27, 2008 9:11 am edit

Total sweetness!! If the DID end up married, wouldn’t these pictures be priceless to them?! I could see it being on the invitations!
    Awww.

31. Susie August 27, 2008 9:22 am edit

This is such a sweet post I had to comment. I have to say that Sarah and Graham do look perfect for each other (wink).

Susie’s last blog post..A Miracle

32. trish August 27, 2008 11:53 am edit

As a mum of two boys your comment about someday not being the primary woman in their lives really hits home. I’m so spoiled right now and I do appreciate how special this time is.

trish’s last blog post..do I look like I’m sick?

33. Elizabeth August 27, 2008 2:14 pm edit

They are so cute together. It’s so wonderful to have good friends.

Elizabeth’s last blog post..Just what the doctor ordered

34. mama's got moxie August 29, 2008 7:01 am edit

oh, they are sooooooooo freakin’ beautiful!!! :)

35. Rachel Joy August 30, 2008 1:02 pm edit

You must never stop blogging so we can see them still happily in love in another 15 years!

Rachel Joy’s last blog post..To Grandmother’s house we go!

36. Kristabella September 3, 2008 1:52 pm edit

They are SO cute together! Sarah is such a cutie (as is Graham, of course)!

My nephew had the same sort of friendship with a little girl in the neighborhood. She moved away 2 years ago and he was so excited to go fly on an airplane to visit her back in July.

Kristabella’s last blog post..My Brain Is Already Unemployed