I mentioned last week that I had stepped back from photographing others for reasons that would not be shared. It’s not that I did not want to share what happened (it’s how I cope) or that such posts would not be good fodder and get everyone up in arms for oh, a few days, but I had endured enough grief. These wounds were not inflicted by family but were inflicted by people close enough to me to leave a mark and so, I shut myself down.

I stuck to taking photos of my family. Cute kids and nice poses and nothing that would incur rejection. I could put myself back out there again but that’s what I did in eight grade and then there was that lovely incident where those mean girls told me to just go away. I needed to “just go away” from photographing others and from putting myself out there for a while. How long, exactly, I did not know but I really had no other choice.

Over the last Christmas break I felt like I got my photo mojo back. I played with my new camera (Canon 7D) and read a few books and did some tutorials and remembered how much I loved photography. How much I liked to play and to shoot and to edit and to learn and to just do it. Still doing it only for me, but feeling the excitement again.

What to do with that excitement? I had a photography site that I had started up with great fanfare back when it was all new but I had not done anything with it for many, many months. I had signed on with a simple hosting system but I wasn’t too fond of how it was laid out. The blog side of it was designed by yours truly and was nothing to write home about. Or even spend much time looking at, really.

I decided that I wanted a whole new space, done professionally, that I could use to corral all of my photography efforts into one space. Not that I can’t (or won’t) continue to do photography stuff here, but I wanted a space to use as a portfolio of sorts. Photos and posts related to clients, photos and posts about photo stuff that I like, tutorials, you name it. A site that has nothing to do with anything other than the photography side of my life.

So what does one do when she wants a professional site, but has the web design skills of an…accountant? One hires a professional, that’s what.

Sean Slinsky is (the husband of the fabulous Holly Burns, and) a brilliant web designer. He designed Danny’s site and Amy’s site and of course Holly’s site. He’s also someone that I consider a friend, ever since I met him and Holly in San Francisco at BlogHer ’08. He also shoots Canon so you know he’s Good People.

We first started talking about the redesign back in February but throw in tax season (me) and a new house (him) and summer travels and work and kids and LIFE and it wasn’t until two weeks ago that he handed me the keys to my site. I’d seen progress shots along the way but the real thing is beautifully designed. It’s up to me to make it happen from here on out but HOO BOY is the launch pad sparkly.

He created this portfolio for me and made me a blog that’s so pretty I get a silly grin on my face whenever I look at it. I still have a lot to do to flesh the site out but I’m ridiculously excited and wanted to share it with you guys before I explode.

So go take a look, if that’s your thing (you can subscribe, too, if that’s your thing). If you could take the time to let me know what you think, that would be swell. I’m sure that Sean would love to hear your thoughts as well – what creative person doesn’t want to get feedback on their creation?

I have some family shoots lined up this fall and I plan on cross-posting my photography posts from The Bad Moms Club (and elsewhere) and I might just stick random photos up there that I happen to like. They sky’s the limit, really, and I don’t think that I could be any happier about it if I tried.

comments

Comments:

1. Hannah September 16, 2010 12:32 am edit

I know a little about why you stopped, but I am SO GLAD that you are not giving up on your dreams! Love that you have a new site and new enthusiasm and I hope it brings you ALL the happiness you deserve! You have talent!

2. Matt September 16, 2010 3:25 am edit

So I have never actually got around to commenting before but I had to say the new site looks great and so do the photos! Glad you’re “back” and enjoying photography again, we need more talented and creative Accountants in the world…

3. annettek September 16, 2010 4:39 am edit

It’s gorgeous! I love your photography and you have a lovely new home for it. I hope it will be drama-free going forward.
    .-= annettek´s last blog ..questions =-.

4. Eric's Mommy September 16, 2010 5:08 am edit

The site is beautiful Angella!

5. K September 16, 2010 5:31 am edit

Beautiful site. I’m excited for you!
    .-= K´s last blog ..This and that =-.

6. Michelle September 16, 2010 5:43 am edit

Love it!

7. Katie | motherbumper September 16, 2010 7:31 am edit

Angella, I’m so happy for you and the site is BEAUTIFUL. You rise above it all.

And you’re right about us Canon people ;)
    .-= Katie | motherbumper´s last blog ..Post-Op =-.

8. Sherry September 16, 2010 7:36 am edit

Ugh, I’m sorry that some people were able to take away some of your joy for one of your biggest passions. I *love* the new site and I’m so excited to see what comes next!
    .-= Sherry´s last blog ..He rocked us like a hurricane =-.

9. Jeannette September 16, 2010 7:39 am edit

I love it! So clean and fresh and I especially love the font for your name. Beautiful. I’m glad you’re finding your way back – I love your photos and tutorials.

10. Ashley September 16, 2010 7:44 am edit

I’m glad to hear you’re keeping with it, your photos and the tutorials that helped me understand my camera are wonderful!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Lessons Ive learned from Kate Gosselin =-.

11. Laura Radniecki September 16, 2010 7:49 am edit

Yay! I’m excited to see where this adventure leads you! I’ll [of course] be following along the way!
    .-= Laura Radniecki´s last blog ..The Best Role Models =-.

12. Neil September 16, 2010 7:57 am edit

congrats on the new site and the new mojo

13. Alexa September 16, 2010 7:59 am edit

I love your photography. I wish you lived closer so I could have you take some pictures of MY kid.
    .-= Alexa´s last blog ..I Miss You- Face Sleepers =-.

14. Kristabella September 16, 2010 8:10 am edit

It looks great Angella!

15. Sizzle September 16, 2010 8:25 am edit

It’s really a beautiful site. Crisp and classy. Love the font in the header. :-)

Happy for you!
    .-= Sizzle´s last blog ..Path to Integration =-.

16. Kami's Khlopchyk September 16, 2010 8:26 am edit

I am very happy for you, girl! The site looks fantastic as do your photos! I hope that you can put that stuff behind you and do what you are so darn good at :)
    .-= Kami’s Khlopchyk´s last blog ..To Find A Soulmate =-.

17. Sundry September 16, 2010 8:48 am edit

It’s just gorgeous! So excited for you, I can’t wait to see more of your amazing photos showcased there. : )

18. Melissa September 16, 2010 9:06 am edit

Good for you Angella! The site looks great and I’m excited to see where you go from here!

19. daysgoby September 16, 2010 9:57 am edit

GORGEOUS!
    .-= daysgoby´s last blog ..hodge-podge =-.

20. Tamara September 16, 2010 10:03 am edit

Love it, clean design, easy navigation. Way to go, Sean! And way to go, Angella!
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..Tiny baby needles =-.

21. Rachel ~ A Southern Fairytale September 16, 2010 10:23 am edit

I’m simply speechless. It’s perfectly elegant and lovely and I love it, Angella.

22. monstergirlee September 16, 2010 10:42 am edit

I really like the way it looks!
    Simple clean lines, easy to see, easy to use and navigate from subject to subject. I love the monochrome color scheme.
    Nicely done, I think it’ll work for you for a long time.
    .-= monstergirlee´s last blog ..Camp Runamok =-.

23. Nadine September 16, 2010 11:07 am edit

Your site looks awesome….
    .-= Nadine´s last blog ..Apples =-.

24. Danica September 16, 2010 11:16 am edit

Wheeee! They’re beautiful! (And boo for mean girls and mean people.)
    .-= Danica´s last blog ..The Gift of Cancer =-.

25. hillary September 16, 2010 11:28 am edit

It is beautiful! Also? I’m making out with my husband on your website! Heh.
    .-= hillary´s last blog ..You Got To Burn To Shine =-.

26. Mrs. Wilson September 16, 2010 2:53 pm edit

Love love love.

I have a great love of CLEAN sites, and both are very crisp and easily navigated.

The photos are AMAZING. I especially like the ones of Keana and Brandon (particularly because I remember when they were both wee).
    .-= Mrs. Wilson´s last blog ..dry spell =-.

27. amanda September 16, 2010 6:09 pm edit

Very nice…love the font he used for your name. Very good company you keep! :) But I already knew that.
    And hey…I have your photography on the wall of my office/craft room…I see it every time I enter the room and it makes me smile. As a matter of fact, I’m moving it to the livingroom for all to see. No, seriously, I am!

28. Rebecca September 17, 2010 7:26 am edit

The new website is fabulously beautiful! I love it! You are such a talent!!!! :)
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..So Proud Of The Prince =-.

29. Trisha Carter, Gone Green September 19, 2010 3:10 am edit

I love taking photos of everything too but mine are very amateurish compared to your work but I do have them posted in my facebook page.

30. Suzy September 20, 2010 4:52 pm edit

I love the new site – clean and easy navigation. And I love your photography. I find it difficult to even use a point and shoot camera, so I am in awe of an one who can take pictures and make them art. I am glad you are continuing with your passion. You are so talented and blessed.