Graham outgrew his Airwalks; Emily has claimed them as her own.

During the opening keynote that Catherine hosted at BlissDom Canada (There were more A@@hole references than you might expect, but they were kind of awesome. And completely appropriate). She threw out a bunch of prompts and I wrote some responses in my Notes App and then forgot all about it. That is, until Miss Loukia posted her list of fives. I’m going to be a lemming and post my fives. I posted a bunch of ‘fives’ meme posts back in the day but (the writing is cringe-worthy, and) the majority of you are new to to this place. And me. Let’s kick it old school and  get acquainted.

Five things you don’t know about me:

I have eight siblings. Yes, eight. We all share the same Dad and range in age from 18-47. If you try to refer to any of them as “half” siblings, I will cut you. They are my brothers and sisters, Amen.

I skipped third grade. I spent the summer between second and fourth grade learning multiplication and cursive writing and after a short stint in a third/fourth grade split, the third-graders moved on and I was a fourth-grader. I also continued to attend “advanced”classes and did crazy things like taking grade eight and nine French class in one year. I was considered highly intelligent back in the day, is what I’m saying.

I had Pyloric Stenosis when I was a baby. I was a newborn and could send projectile vomit six feet or more, each time. A (misguided) family doctor told my parents that a bit of brandy would probably help. At three weeks of age I was rushed to Emergency and had a surgery that, if they’d waited even a few hours, would have been too late. I have a scar that runs from my belly button, up. Six inches or so. It reminds me every day that I must be here for a reason.

I had knee surgery at the age of twenty when I couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs without using the railing for support. My family doctor (was a jerk, and) didn’t believe me. We pushed and were sent t0 a specialist, who showed that my right kneecap was misaligned – patellofemoral syndrome. One day-surgery and some physio therapy later, I could not only walk without pain, I could run.

I am a hand talker. This is something that I became informed about a good four or five years ago when I was doing a “five things about me” post and I asked Matthew what I should add. He informed me that I am a hand-talker and I had no idea what he was talking about. My local friends chimed in to tell me that he was telling the truth and I guess that maybe they’re right? I have no idea that I’m doing it but a few (or many) knocked over drinks and/or photo/videos of me makes me think that there may be some truth to this. Maybe.

Five things I am knowledgeable about:

My kids. I know how they work, I know their love languages, I know how amazing they are. I have no idea how to parent anybody else’s kids, but I know how to parent mine.

Accounting. I have Really Important Initials after my name because I wrote a four-day exam, and passed.

Hockey. I don’t give a rip about players’ stats but get me watching a live game or a playoff game on the teevee and I am VOCAL and OPINIONATED and INVESTED IN MY TEAM.

Cooking/baking. I fumbled my way through keeping myself fed when I first moved out on my own and got to move from following recipes to the letter to winging it and having a whole lot of fun with cooking over these past eleven years of marriage. I like to cook, he likes to eat. It’s a good partnership.

Photography. I can pick up my camera and get the shot that I want, 97% of the time. It took a lot of practice to get here, but here I am.

Five things I know nothing about:

Christianity. I have been a Christian for 23 years (!). I’ve attended Bible school and Home Groups and hashed out a lot of stuff with friends whom I trust. I fail, often, but that’s where forgiveness comes into play. I feel like I have only scratched the surface.

Accounting. I switched fields two years ago and have spent a lot of time floundering. WHY DO THEY KEEP CHANGING THE RULES?

Football. Dudes run around, and when they do something magical, there is a lot of bum-patting. It’s kind of like marriage, but even more confusing.

Cooking/baking. I have so much more that I want/need to learn. Like making a pie. I have never made a pie and need to do so.

Photography. I know that I do not suck, but I am not awesome. I want to be awesome.

Five things I believe:

God is who He says He is. As is Jesus. Not the North American depiction of Him, but the loving God of the Bible. Read it. You’ll see what I mean.

The Okanagan is the best place to live in all of Canada. Crazy hot summers, mild winters, only a few days of rain a year, and vineyards as far as the eye can see.

Ice-water is the only way to drink water. People who drink room-temperature water are not to be trusted.

Salsa belongs on eggs. My husband mocks me for doing so but I put salsa on almost everything, including eggs. Because WHY WOULDN’T YOU?

Matthew is the perfect husband for me. He is not perfect, no, and I am not perfect, AT ALL, but we are perfect together. I thank God for Matthew every day, because how could I not?

There you have it. Did you learn anything new about me? Do you want to chime in with answers of your own?

comments

Comments:

1. JennyBean October 25, 2011 12:30 am edit

Thanks, that was interesting, and I certainly learned a thing or two! :) I think I might also be a lemming and post my own version later this week.

2. Hannah October 25, 2011 2:17 am edit

Great post! I think I knew almost all those things about you … but I guess that’s what happens after 5 or 6 years of reading your blog! :-)

3. Jenny Greene October 25, 2011 5:41 am edit

AMEN to ice water and salsa on your eggs.

4. Nenette October 25, 2011 6:49 am edit

I’ve been working on my fives too. It’s hard!
    As an almost-only child, I envy you and your big family! And oh, yeah, salsa on everything. Especially tomato/mango salsa… okay, I guess I know what to make for breakfast today. :)
    I’m so glad you did this… it’s nice to know more about you. xo

5. Mrs. Wilson October 25, 2011 7:26 am edit

Did you know that you wrote SIX things that you know nothing about? The fourth one on your list — football — I wish I knew LESS about. Ha!

The term “half-sibling” is not used around our house either. EVER. I don’t think my kids have ever heard the term, and they will never hear it from me. They are siblings. End of story.

I believe most of what you believe. Salsa on everything? YES PLEASE. I’ve been eating it on baked potatoes recently. Noah eats it on eggs all the time. (I don’t like eggs.) In high school, I ate it on Kraft Dinner. I go through a litre every week. Literally.

The thing I don’t agree with you on is the ice water thing, but then, there’s a reason for that. I have some (really fun) digestive issues that make ice water a laxative for me (you’re welcome). So, I drink it room temperature. AND I LIKE IT.

6. Kristabella October 25, 2011 8:32 am edit

I prefer room temperature water. I think the only think I prefer cold is beer.

But I’m weird.

7. alimartell October 25, 2011 10:48 am edit

Yes. You are a handtalker.
    It’s like a club; we all recognize each other ;)

8. Elaine October 25, 2011 12:46 pm edit

I just love that 3 of things you are knowledgeable about you also list as things you don’t know about – ha!

And I did not know about your two surgeries. Definitely learned something about you today! :)

9. Procrastamom October 25, 2011 1:26 pm edit

I’m three years into studying for an accounting designation (CGA) and THEY DO keep changing the rules! I’m just waiting for science to change the rules of math and then I’ll be royally hooped.

10. Wendy [mapsgirl] October 25, 2011 1:37 pm edit

Great post!

I’ve enjoyed reading all of the “5 things” posts and with each one am sadder that I missed Catherine’s keynote.

And, yes, I did learn new things about you! I have patellofemoral syndrome as well, but no where close to needing surgery. I’m just not allowed to run. Sad.

I could give you a lesson in football if you’d like? Football is fun to watch…but I enjoy the tailgating more!

11. Kami October 25, 2011 3:59 pm edit

Same as Hannah, I think I knew most of that about you already but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to read again.

I hear you on the accounting rules…for goodness sake, pick some and stick with them already, for the love Pete.

12. Jenn October 25, 2011 7:00 pm edit

I guess you wouldn’t trust me…but then again, it’s just water.
    Thanks for the warning about the cutting, too. You could say anything about my family and I would probably just agree.

13. Marilyn @ A Lot of Loves October 26, 2011 12:41 pm edit

You need to bake a pie. They’re the best things to bake in the world. I’m a bit pie crazy. Make one this weekend!

14. sizzle October 27, 2011 11:54 am edit

I did learn something new about you!

Your knee story makes me think I should stop procrastinating and go to the doc about mine. I have to hold the rail to go up or down stairs because it hurts. I can dance and walk but stairs are a killer for me. Damn knees!

15. Kimberly October 27, 2011 12:11 pm edit

I am actually very surprised with the things you have shared. I am happy to have learned these things about you. I agree that you are here for a reason and I think that it was a miracle that you made it through the operation. It is impressive that you know a lot about hockey. I would love to read a post from you, sharing things you know about it.

16. Christan October 27, 2011 3:31 pm edit

If you want step-by-step instructions for pie making… a friend blogged about our experience last year. Check it out if you feel so inclined.

17. Sherry October 29, 2011 10:10 am edit

I’m a bit behind on this but I just did mine today!