It’s been quite the process to get our house ready to live in. We knew it would be, and budgeted for it, but we keep hitting road blocks and I’m in the verge of turning into an enormous green rage monster. (Hashtag HulkSmash.)
We’ve done everything the remediation guy told us to do. We had the professional cleaners and air scrubbers in and they spent a week doing their job. We had the electrician in, who pulled a ticket to get the power turned on so that the cleaners could use electricity. We had the City turn the water on so the cleaners could clean and…there wasn’t even enough water pressure to flush a toilet.
(Matthew texted that to me and I replied with, “Did you find that out the hard way?”)
(He did not, thankfully.)
We told our new neighbors about our water issue and they said to use theirs for the cleaners, as they know how much needs to be done. Hooray for good neighbors!
We thought that maybe the water pipe damage was outside the house from when winter hit (the house was empty), and got a contractor in to dig down to the pipe. Dry as a bone. He then dug by the connection at the road and no leak there, either. The water guy from the City pulled out a map and the water line goes directly beneath The Tree. There is no way on Earth that we’re harming that tree, so plans were made to spend Tuesday having Matthew and the contractor digging a new water line that goes to the left of the property, around the tree. Once that’s fixed, we can move in!
The remediation guy took air samples last Wednesday and the results came in on Friday. All spore levels were in the low end of the good range, meaning really, really low. Regular low. Probably lower than most houses because of ALL THE CLEANING. Every test was green/good to live in. Yay! Except, he won’t sign off on it because the one spore type is a more dangerous one. It came in at the same level both inside AND outside, but he wants the level inside to be at zero. ZERO. We figure that the reason for equal counts is because we had other workers in the house (Natural gas guys, Telus, etc.) after the contractor dug up parts of the yard and the air scrubbers were gone. They tracked in the stirred-up dust.
Last night our restoration company (Owned by Matthew’s Dad) lent us the special vacuum and the air scrubbers, and we bought the cleaning solution. Matthew set up the air scrubbers while I vacuumed every surface, and then he started with the cleaning solution. The house is now locked tight with the air scrubbers running. They will remain running until the remediation guy returns Thursday or Friday to take another sample for the lab. When he returns, we’ll turn off the scrubbers and he can take the air sample.
Once he takes his sample, we’re moving in without waiting for results. The last report showed that the house is perfectly fine, and it’s time to live in our house. I’ve held it together and been patient well beyond my natural capabilities (Truth) (Don’t ask God to test your patience, because He will) and I just need to be home.